The Student Room Group

TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society! Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by apotoftea
Lots of things to wait on then :smile:

Yep lots of things. It's a relief as it's years worth of work and planning just to get to this point. I have an enormous amount of sympathy for those who put just as much work in but are not - and I choose this word deliberately - as lucky as I have been to get at least one offer (albeit not one yet for Medicine)!

As I said in the Soton thread, there are lots of very well qualified applicants, many of whom are eminently suitable, going for a finite number of places. I do not envy the job of admissions tutors in discriminating between applicants.
Reply 121
Any grads going to be starting at SGUL this year?

:biggrin::cool::eek::rolleyes::tongue:
graduate who got an offer for undergraduate at barts... how am i going to afford 9000 a year.... really stressing out with it
Reply 123
Original post by aidanwryan01
graduate who got an offer for undergraduate at barts... how am i going to afford 9000 a year.... really stressing out with it

CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is wonderful news that you have an offer! Check out money4medstudents - may have some useful info on funding but im not sure if it is now out of date. Can you not defer your year of entry and then locum as a pharmacist?Also, if you are over 25 I THINK student finance count you as separate from your parents - if so, they waive a certain amount off the fees e.g. if you earn under £25,000 per annum certain uni's will take off up to a max of £3000 per year. I don't know if this is beneficial to you, but I have put my savings into a high interest ISA. In the long run I am not getting much (about £120 per year) but it is something and every little helps on a 5yr course as a grad - perhaps you could put some money away if you choose to defer your entry and then remove it once the next financial year is up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ahhhhhhhhh i have got an offer for warwick!!!!!!!!!!!! cannot believe it! :biggrin:DD
surname = T
interview = Wednesdy PM
and i just received an email now!!!!

good luck to everyone still waiting! x
Just received an offer from Leicester. Not bad considering I withdrew my application last week!
Original post by select the right name
Just received an offer from Leicester. Not bad considering I withdrew my application last week!

I think they are trying to tempt you back, by giving you the offer. :biggrin:
Original post by medschoolapplicant
Ahhhhhhhhh i have got an offer for warwick!!!!!!!!!!!! cannot believe it! :biggrin:DD
surname = T
interview = Wednesdy PM
and i just received an email now!!!!

good luck to everyone still waiting! x

Congrats :biggrin:
Original post by aidanwryan01

Original post by Nasher and Basher

thankyou soooo much! x
Original post by select the right name

haha that is amazing!
Want to give your leicester offer to me then?? XD
Offer from Warwick!!!!!

I am over the moon! All the years thinking and preparing, feels like a weight had been lifted
Reply 133
Original post by Type1_Neuro
Offer from Warwick!!!!!

I am over the moon! All the years thinking and preparing, feels like a weight had been lifted

Woop well done!! I know what you mean - it suddenly become all worth it :biggrin:
Reply 134
Not sure what thread to put this in (so I'm putting it in a few...)

Any grads attending SGUL advise please!

I'm starting grad entry med in september and I've started looking at accommodation etc.

Now the issue is that I have a partner who ideally is going to come with me - I understand that SGUL doesn't do couple halls themselves but there's the possibility of International Halls and Lillian Penson. The cost seems prohibitive, but does anyone stay in these places and what are they like?

Our other option is that my wife doesn't come with me, for the first year at least, in which case I'd stay in halls/house-share during the week then drive 2.5 hours to her at the weekend. I'm just wondering how realistic this would be in terms of workload etc? Are there weekend commitments involved in the course. Without her there, and with my partying days far behind, I'm pretty sure I'd spend evenings most days doing work etc.

We're extremely loathed to separate like that, but unless she finds a kick ass job so we can afford a flat somewhere, it's maybe impossible.

Any advice/insights would be much appreciated

:smile:
Original post by lcsurfer
Want to give your leicester offer to me then?? XD

Oh if I could, I would!
I truly hope you hear soon.
Original post by JRPC
Not sure what thread to put this in (so I'm putting it in a few...)

Any grads attending SGUL advise please!

I'm starting grad entry med in september and I've started looking at accommodation etc.

Now the issue is that I have a partner who ideally is going to come with me - I understand that SGUL doesn't do couple halls themselves but there's the possibility of International Halls and Lillian Penson. The cost seems prohibitive, but does anyone stay in these places and what are they like?

Our other option is that my wife doesn't come with me, for the first year at least, in which case I'd stay in halls/house-share during the week then drive 2.5 hours to her at the weekend. I'm just wondering how realistic this would be in terms of workload etc? Are there weekend commitments involved in the course. Without her there, and with my partying days far behind, I'm pretty sure I'd spend evenings most days doing work etc.

We're extremely loathed to separate like that, but unless she finds a kick ass job so we can afford a flat somewhere, it's maybe impossible.

Any advice/insights would be much appreciated

:smile:

Hey,
There is a SGUL GEP 2012 facebook thread: https://www.facebook.com/groups/337799329586981/

Im sure someone will be happy to help if you put your question there. I don't know anything about SGUL so unfortunately can't help you! Good luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
In a bit of a dilema over the Gamsat which I have in a few weeks.

I think I've got my organic chemistry up to speed (I got every q right on practice test 1). I have a decent understanding of Chemistry up to an A-Level standard, but I need to brush up on a few little things. My Biology understanding is pretty good, and the way most of the Bio questions are worded in the Gamsat makes me think there isn't much 'direct revision' you can do.

But my Physics is poor. I spent the last 2 days revising straight, and I did a few practice gamsat questions at the end and got pretty much all of them wrong. With Physics only taking up a supposed 20% of S3, do you think I should just give up on Physics and dedicate my time to mastering organic chem, and getting my general chemistry up to speed?
If not, what sections of Physics do you think I should concentrate on? I was thinking electricity, as it seems to crop up in a lot of the practice questions.

Cheers for any suggestions.
Original post by byebyebadman
In a bit of a dilema over the Gamsat which I have in a few weeks.

I think I've got my organic chemistry up to speed (I got every q right on practice test 1). I have a decent understanding of Chemistry up to an A-Level standard, but I need to brush up on a few little things. My Biology understanding is pretty good, and the way most of the Bio questions are worded in the Gamsat makes me think there isn't much 'direct revision' you can do.

But my Physics is poor. I spent the last 2 days revising straight, and I did a few practice gamsat questions at the end and got pretty much all of them wrong. With Physics only taking up a supposed 20% of S3, do you think I should just give up on Physics and dedicate my time to mastering organic chem, and getting my general chemistry up to speed?
If not, what sections of Physics do you think I should concentrate on? I was thinking electricity, as it seems to crop up in a lot of the practice questions.

Cheers for any suggestions.

If you think your chemistry is already good, I'd personally advise trying to get your head around physics. Don't give up on chem and bio entirely, but you should considering focusing on your least strong aspects while you still have the time. If you get to the week before and you still feel you've got nowhere, then given up.

As for which areas, I seem to recall there being a bit of stuff on electricity and forces. They were fairly general questions, I think. You don't need to start learning about nuclear physics or anything! Some key principals and a few good equations should see you quiet a way.
Original post by JRPC

Being a London student (but not med) I know of both the International Hall and Lillian Penson.

If you're going to be at SGUL, don't even bother, the commute will take at least 30 mins (and that's going direct from Euston to Tooting Broadway). In actual terms, being at the International Hall, you'd walk to Russell Square tube station (4 min walk), tube to Leicester square, change onto the northern line and most northern line trains end at Kennington, so you'd have to change again to get to Tooting Broadway, then a 5/10 min max walk to SGUL campus. Lillian Penson is out by Paddington and you're looking at a 45min tube journey, before you add on walking to/from station times.

I think I've seen the rooms and honestly, they're really not that great. Plus I might be right in thinking some of the intercollegiate halls are catered with no kitchen facilities at all so if you wanted to eat you're tied by the times they offer.

In all honestly, don't do it, even from a commuting viewpoint alone, let alone getting involved as a med student socially and otherwise. I commute into and across London at least 3 days a week (and I go all over the zones) and I forget just how big a city it is, you wouldn't want to be doing it 5 days straight, especially with potentially early starts/late finishes. Not to mention cost! Whilst people rave about the Oyster card system, it's expensive when you actually look at the costs. Although you might be entitled to the student discount (need a London postcode).

Tooting's cheap for its location, relatively nice, safe in most parts, and close to your uni base. Look at finding a double room, maybe even hooking up with other prospective med students, you won't be the first grad student to have a significant other with you & it's probably expected for grad medics to be honest. If you don't want to go down the living with other students route, have a look on http://www.spareroom.co.uk

Hope that helps a bit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending