The Student Room Group

TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society! Mk II

Part 1: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1021440

I have been lucky enough to get a place on a gep course and I have a question about funding.

Are we grads just entitled to a maintenance loan or can we apply for the means tested grants aswell (based on parents income)?
Also the ~£3000 we will have to pay for first year, will we have to pay it in one lump in september or can it be spread?

(Now Iv got a place Im just trying to work out the logistics of actually doing it!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jen001
I have been lucky enough to get a place on a gep course and I have a question about funding.

Are we grads just entitled to a maintenance loan or can we apply for the means tested grants aswell (based on parents income)?
Also the ~£3000 we will have to pay for first year, will we have to pay it in one lump in september or can it be spread?

(Now Iv got a place Im just trying to work out the logistics of actually doing it!

Just the loan I'm afraid, we are not entitled to any of the means tested grants :frown:

It would probably depend on the uni regarding the £3k but I think it might be all up front.
Can we not get means-tested grants in the first year?

And you might get NHS Bursary in years 2-4!
Reply 3
if i remember Warwick said it could be spread over the 4 years which is nice!
It's only the £3000 loan for the first year... looks like I'll be skint for the first year unless i stay at home, which i dont particulary want to do!
Original post by lcsurfer
if i remember Warwick said it could be spread over the 4 years which is nice!
It's only the £3000 loan for the first year... looks like I'll be skint for the first year unless i stay at home, which i dont particulary want to do!

you should get more than £3k, the maximum loan is around £5k outside london
Original post by JammyDodger3000
Can we not get means-tested grants in the first year?

And you might get NHS Bursary in years 2-4!

No grant from student finance at all im afraid, you will get the NHS bursury in year 2 and beyond although your loan will reduce on a ratio 2:1
Reply 6
I tried to use the loan calculator thing but i dont know how many weeks i will be in attendance - whats the typical for a medicine degree?
I thought we get a grant in year 2-4 which is £1,000 or am I wrong?
Reply 8
the loan will depend on your parents income or who ever your living with. Last year at uni i got next to nothing as i live with my father and he was just over the amount that meant i got the minimum!
Original post by jen001
I tried to use the loan calculator thing but i dont know how many weeks i will be in attendance - whats the typical for a medicine degree?

If its the little calculator for illistration purposes on the direct gov site it wont work because you're a grad it will just tell you to phone them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by FrenziedPenguin
If its the little calculator for illistration purposes on the direct gov site it work because your a grad it will just tell you to phone them.

Great ok, thanks for your help
Has anyone started to study for GAMSAT in sept ?
Reply 12
Any Newcastle GEPs go to the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/240714759355503/

Trying to sort out accommodation etc.

:smile:
Can I still get the dependents grant in first year of GEP? Got three kids and they're expensive!
Any graduates with offers for the 4 year bham course join this facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/126502140795574/
Reply 15
come on warwick!
Just left my retail job today, thank god!
Now just want some good news from Warwick and my week is fantastic!
Original post by lcsurfer
come on warwick!
Just left my retail job today, thank god!
Now just want some good news from Warwick and my week is fantastic!

Agreed, come on Warwick!!!!!

Fingers crossed that we all have a good week :smile:
Reply 17
Please tell me if I am wrong to post here but I have a few questions if any of you have the time to answer :smile:

I 'hope' to attempt the GEP after I finish a degree IT/Business related, do you think that I would be looked down on and also would A-Levels be taken into account.

Thank you all, and good luck with your course!
Original post by DSB
Please tell me if I am wrong to post here but I have a few questions if any of you have the time to answer :smile:

I 'hope' to attempt the GEP after I finish a degree IT/Business related, do you think that I would be looked down on and also would A-Levels be taken into account.

Thank you all, and good luck with your course!

There will be some courses that you are unable to apply for, but others will be more than happy with an IT/Business degree :smile:

Some Uni's take A-Levels into account, some don't - what did you study at A-Level if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 19
Original post by select the right name
Can I still get the dependents grant in first year of GEP? Got three kids and they're expensive!

I believe so :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending