The Student Room Group

Bod Mod Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5700
Original post by Zebrastripes

Original post by Zebrastripes
This is probably a very stupid question, but how can I tell what size my navel bar is? I have one which is a little silver ball at the bottom, which is attached, then a jewel screwed on to the top. I wanted to buy some more coloured jewels.

I don't really like my the colour I've got, but for the last year I've not been able to undo the damn thing. I was so scared as I was very underweight when I had it done and it wasn't through that much skin, so it's really thin and I didn't want to risk damaging myself. Finally went at it with pliers though and I've managed to unscrew it and give it a thorough cleaning. Now to buy something I actually like.

Take it out, and use a ruler. You might find it easier to rest the barbell on a piece of paper and draw dots at the ends then measure between the dots.

But if it's "really thin" you might be better to retire it and repierce
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Juno
Take it out, and use a ruler. You might find it easier to rest the barbell on a piece of paper and draw dots at the ends then measure between the dots.

But if it's "really thin" you might be better to retire it and repierce

Thanks. It looks like a 1.2mm gauge, which I can't really find anywhere for navel piercings. I had a bigger one when I had it done, but then I went to another piercing place and had it changed to a smaller more delicate looking one. It looked like 1mm on my ruler, but I don't think it even comes that small. Looks 8mm long which seems pretty normal.

It is really thin, but I'd probably just take it out forever rather than get it repierced. I had it done for all the wrong reasons, I like it, but I wouldn't get it repierced.
Had my anti tragus done yesterday and the ball fell out today...and is well and truly lost but there's quite a lot of swelling so avoiding fiddling with it and just hoping it stays in until tomorrow when I can go back to the place and hope they sort it for free....
Original post by Kate.
You can, but because the thickness is usually pretty small it can be awkward. I can usually tell by sight now but a ruler can help if you hold the bar on top and close one eye when you're looking at it. What piercing is it? It'll most likely be 1.2mm (16g) or 1.6mm (14g) so figure out if it's closer to 1mm or 2mm and you've probably sorted it. The main exception to those two sizes for common piercings is that nostril piercings are usually 0.8mm (20g) - 1mm (18g). Most UK sites will use mm anyway rather than gauges, but if you need a conversion chart I usually use this one.

It's for my tragus and nipple bars, I'll give it another go!

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by VickyTink
Had my anti tragus done yesterday and the ball fell out today...and is well and truly lost but there's quite a lot of swelling so avoiding fiddling with it and just hoping it stays in until tomorrow when I can go back to the place and hope they sort it for free....

I have a question about anti tragus piercings. Do they have to have a ring in, or can a barbell go in them? If so, what length and gauge? I really like the idea of getting my anti tragus done, but I've only ever seen people wearing rings in them and I always seem to get infections when I have them in.
Reply 5705
Original post by syrettd

Original post by syrettd
I have a question about anti tragus piercings. Do they have to have a ring in, or can a barbell go in them? If so, what length and gauge? I really like the idea of getting my anti tragus done, but I've only ever seen people wearing rings in them and I always seem to get infections when I have them in.

No, you don't get an infection from wearing a "ring". You probably don't even have an infection, but BCRs move around a lot which causes irritation and redness.

Yes, you can have a barbell if you wish. They're better as initial jewellery, although they don't have magic antibiotic properties.
Original post by Juno
No, you don't get an infection from wearing a "ring". You probably don't even have an infection, but BCRs move around a lot which causes irritation and redness.

Yes, you can have a barbell if you wish. They're better as initial jewellery, although they don't have magic antibiotic properties.

Haha, I know they don't cause infections, I just seem to get them more often when I have them in- which then causes my doctor to make his usual suggestion of taking them out, including all the other ones that are nowhere near the infection site. If tattoos could be lifted off the skin, he'd be telling me to do that too.
Reply 5707
Original post by syrettd

Original post by syrettd
Haha, I know they don't cause infections, I just seem to get them more often when I have them in- which then causes my doctor to make his usual suggestion of taking them out, including all the other ones that are nowhere near the infection site. If tattoos could be lifted off the skin, he'd be telling me to do that too.

If you've had more than one infection you're really doing something wrong, and need to look at whether your piercer or hygiene practises are causing you problems. Infections are, and should be, very rare.

It's more likely that you're mistaking usual healing for an infection, and since your doctor hates piercings they won't argue. Normal piercings will be red and will produce fluid called lymph, which can be confused for pus. Piercings will also hurt. Infections are about more than that - your piercing might feel hot if you touch it (which obviously you shouldn't) and the discharge is more likely to be green rather than clear or pale yellow.

Another thing to think about is the metal you're wearing. It could be that your BCRs and barbells are of different materials, and you're sensitive to one of them.
Original post by Juno
If you've had more than one infection you're really doing something wrong, and need to look at whether your piercer or hygiene practises are causing you problems. Infections are, and should be, very rare.

It's more likely that you're mistaking usual healing for an infection, and since your doctor hates piercings they won't argue. Normal piercings will be red and will produce fluid called lymph, which can be confused for pus. Piercings will also hurt. Infections are about more than that - your piercing might feel hot if you touch it (which obviously you shouldn't) and the discharge is more likely to be green rather than clear or pale yellow.

Another thing to think about is the metal you're wearing. It could be that your BCRs and barbells are of different materials, and you're sensitive to one of them.

Well the main issue I had was a tragus that turned into a massive lump- my doctor wanted that out, but I forced a barbell through it and it started to clear up a lot. The cleaning solution went a bit funny, so I think that had something to do with it. As for the other few infections I had... I LIKE to blame the BCRs (forgot what they're called earlier :tongue: ) but a lot of people think my abusive ex did some stuff to them while I slept. I was beginning to break out from under his thumb I got a couple of extra body mods even though I knew he hated them. But you can see why I try and look for another excuse, and prefer to get barbells.
Reply 5709
A lump isn't an infection. It was probably hypertrophic scarring, although maybe a keloid - but again they're quite rare. And whilst I don't know you or your ex I find it hard to believe that he could do something to upset your piercings whilst you were still asleep and without leaving any traces for you to notice later.
Original post by Juno
A lump isn't an infection. It was probably hypertrophic scarring, although maybe a keloid - but again they're quite rare. And whilst I don't know you or your ex I find it hard to believe that he could do something to upset your piercings whilst you were still asleep and without leaving any traces for you to notice later.

A nurse tried to tell me it was a granuloma, but I'm pretty sure the green stuff it leaked occasionally ruled that out. And I don't choose to believe it, but apparently the stuff he was bragging about to his friends was...disconcerting. I like to believe that I was just really bad at looking after my piercings and skin divers at that point (although how I would suddenly go through a bad patch I don't know) but my friend used a case in point where he deliberately gave me an eye infection because I refused to cancel on going to a male friend's birthday party as the reason she believes he would have done similar to my piercings.
Reply 5711
Original post by syrettd

Original post by syrettd
A nurse tried to tell me it was a granuloma, but I'm pretty sure the green stuff it leaked occasionally ruled that out. And I don't choose to believe it, but apparently the stuff he was bragging about to his friends was...disconcerting. I like to believe that I was just really bad at looking after my piercings and skin divers at that point (although how I would suddenly go through a bad patch I don't know) but my friend used a case in point where he deliberately gave me an eye infection because I refused to cancel on going to a male friend's birthday party as the reason she believes he would have done similar to my piercings.

Well, in an abusive relationship it's easy to become depressed, and then you can start looking after yourself less. Your self esteem suffers. So yeah, it's possible you'd go through a bad patch like that.
Original post by Juno
Well, in an abusive relationship it's easy to become depressed, and then you can start looking after yourself less. Your self esteem suffers. So yeah, it's possible you'd go through a bad patch like that.

Hmm, I'm going to use that next time she brings it up! She thinks I'm a freakishly clean person, but I think this will work.
Original post by syrettd

I have a curved barbell in mine, not sure on the length, but I have a 1.2 gauge in right now, I'm going back in tomorrow cause my ears swelled more than usual and need a longer bar in, so I can ask about the length then. I prefer it with a barbell in though, but I have small ears, so I need equally small rings xD

Edit: Went back today and have a 1.2 gauge, length will depend on how much you swell (if you usually get swelling, it'll be similar) but a longer bar or ring is better for the first week or so I think since the anti tragus does swell...when I went back I got "oh, it doesn't usually swell quite that much, i'll swap it for free" so I think i'm just a bit odd xD
(edited 12 years ago)
Since most of you guys have far more piercings than me, I need to ask what will look decent as my next one, since in my right ear, I have 1 lobe, helix and anti tragus and my left remains at one lobe...lame, I know.

What will look decent in my left ear? My ears are quite small as my anti tragus means I can't have my 2nd lobe piercing in the usual place, but this shouldn't be too much of an issue.
i read this as bad mod society :mmm:
Reply 5716

Since most of you guys have far more piercings than me, I need to ask what will look decent as my next one, since in my right ear, I have 1 lobe, helix and anti tragus and my left remains at one lobe...lame, I know.

What will look decent in my left ear? My ears are quite small as my anti tragus means I can't have my 2nd lobe piercing in the usual place, but this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

You'd need to post a pic because ears are different and you might not be anatomically suited to some, especially as you've said your ears are small.
Got my nipple pierced yesterday, chuffed with it. Keep peeking down my top all day and grinning like a lunatic :tongue:
Just ordered these - http://www.bodyartforms.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=8792 Can't wait to get them ^_^
Reply 5719
Original post by Sakura-Chan
Just ordered these - http://www.bodyartforms.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=8792 Can't wait to get them ^_^

sabo :sad:

Quick Reply

Latest