The Student Room Group

Bod Mod Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6260
Original post by echelon_m
Hey guys :smile: I'm thinking about getting two microdermals under my left collarbone this summer. I only have my ears pierced, so I don't have much experience with these things... Does anybody have them? Did they hurt? How long did they take to heal? Was there a lot of bruising? How much did you pay for them?

Thanks so much x

I currently have 6 dermals, although they're on my back not my collarbones.

They flipping hurt whilst they're being done, and they're not as quick as normal piercings to perform. But as soon as they're in the pain stops. You can see a bit of bruising around the top one here although that pic is from last year and thus out of date now.

The top one in that pic came out one night - didn't hurt, it just didn't take for some reason.

My most recent were £35 each.
Reply 6261
Hey guys :smile: I'm thinking about getting two microdermals under my left collarbone this summer. I only have my ears pierced, so I don't have much experience with these things... Does anybody have them? Did they hurt? How long did they take to heal? Was there a lot of bruising? How much did you pay for them?

Thanks so much x

I had two under my collarbones (near the centre, about 2 inches apart). They were a complete pain in the arse and there's no way I'd bother with that placement again. Seatbelts, bags, collars...everything rubbed them at some point. I couldn't wear necklaces and had to be very careful with scarves. Not wearing a bra was horrible sometimes - the weight of my boobs pulled down on the skin and I could feel the pressure on them, it was really weird. I had to wear a bikini in the shower a few times when it was particularly uncomfortable, and sometimes a bra in bed. I was constantly aware of them for pretty much the whole time I had them. The scars were pretty obvious for a while - red and raised. They've faded a lot now and are no longer visible, although I can still feel one (the one that was more irritated for whatever reason). I had them for about 6 months I think? Certainly less than a year. They were removed back in summer 2008.

I feel I would've had far less problems if they used microdermals with a shorter post - they stuck out quite a lot once the initial swelling had gone down, and the piercer who removed them for me commented on it and said they were far too long. I did go to a very reputable, well-known studio, but I still think they misjudged the length needed. I had other issues with this piercers afterwards as well though unfortunately.

But on the other hand, plenty of people have absolutely no issues and find their microdermals heal quickly and are hassle-free. YMMV!
Reply 6262
A view of my bathroom

Sent from my GT-S5363
Original post by Juno
I currently have 6 dermals, although they're on my back not my collarbones.

They flipping hurt whilst they're being done, and they're not as quick as normal piercings to perform. But as soon as they're in the pain stops. You can see a bit of bruising around the top one here although that pic is from last year and thus out of date now.

The top one in that pic came out one night - didn't hurt, it just didn't take for some reason.

My most recent were £35 each.

thanks so much :smile:
Original post by Kate.
I had two under my collarbones (near the centre, about 2 inches apart). They were a complete pain in the arse and there's no way I'd bother with that placement again. Seatbelts, bags, collars...everything rubbed them at some point. I couldn't wear necklaces and had to be very careful with scarves. Not wearing a bra was horrible sometimes - the weight of my boobs pulled down on the skin and I could feel the pressure on them, it was really weird. I had to wear a bikini in the shower a few times when it was particularly uncomfortable, and sometimes a bra in bed. I was constantly aware of them for pretty much the whole time I had them. The scars were pretty obvious for a while - red and raised. They've faded a lot now and are no longer visible, although I can still feel one (the one that was more irritated for whatever reason). I had them for about 6 months I think? Certainly less than a year. They were removed back in summer 2008.

I feel I would've had far less problems if they used microdermals with a shorter post - they stuck out quite a lot once the initial swelling had gone down, and the piercer who removed them for me commented on it and said they were far too long. I did go to a very reputable, well-known studio, but I still think they misjudged the length needed. I had other issues with this piercers afterwards as well though unfortunately.

But on the other hand, plenty of people have absolutely no issues and find their microdermals heal quickly and are hassle-free. YMMV!

thank you :smile: I've decided I'm getting them in May :colone:
Reply 6265
thank you :smile: I've decided I'm getting them in May :colone:

Make sure you do your research. Some piercers are better at them than others - that's why I've had so few problems with mine!

Also:

Posted from Juno's amazing phone
Got my first tattoo yesterday, five hours or so in the chair, this was taken right after it was done so tis a tad swollen/warped :smile:

m_fjfkfjhhslkkmd.jpg
My vertical helix has been angry with me for a while. I'll admit that I've slacked on the salt soaks but it's so angry with me now that I wonder if just that will help now. There's a gross picture of it below. Earlier I was giving it a quick feel and checking my jewellery was still in when there was a pop and a lot of blood... It doesn't hurt that bad but does anyone know what this is and how to sort it?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1365884472.236616.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6268
Original post by Aemiliana
My vertical helix has been angry with me for a while. I'll admit that I've slacked on the salt soaks but it's so angry with me now that I wonder if just that will help now. There's a gross picture of it below. Earlier I was giving it a quick feel and checking my jewellery was still in when there was a pop and a lot of blood... It doesn't hurt that bad but does anyone know what this is and how to sort it?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1365884472.236616.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks like a Keloid. If it is you should try a couple drops of lavender oils with a carrier oil like grapeseed and just apply with a cotton buds.

Although you posted a while ago, not sure if you've cleared it since.
Original post by Tweek
Looks like a Keloid. If it is you should try a couple drops of lavender oils with a carrier oil like grapeseed and just apply with a cotton buds.

Although you posted a while ago, not sure if you've cleared it since.

It has gone down a fair bit since then thankfully. Could it be a keloid if its filled with such lovely things like puss and blood? :erm: I'm gross I know haha, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6270
Original post by Aemiliana
It has gone down a fair bit since then thankfully. Could it be a keloid if its filled with such lovely things like puss and blood? :erm: I'm gross I know haha, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlikely since keloids are just a build up of scar tissue and usually have nothing inside.
I'd say it's just an infection and the usual sea-salt soaks 3 times a day should clear it up (non-iodized salt of course). Could always apply a gentle anti-septic as well, Savlon spray is pretty good, although I've heard not to use the cream.

Another thing I've heard floating around is that Chamomile tea is great for piercings. Put it in hot water wait for it to cool and compress it to the area for 5-10 minutes. Apparently it does wonders. You could always give that a go.
Hope it clears up soon.

Also don't worry, I've had like 15 piercings, I've seen worse :frown:
Hi guys, I'm having a problem with my helix piercing and was wondering if anyone could help!

My ears formed what I think might be a keloid on the outside of the ear, it doesn't hurt at all really but it looks awful, so I was wondering what can I do about it? I've had my piercing for a year and a half, and never had any problems with it but when I switched to a stud it started to get irritated. I switched back to a hoop but now have this stupid lump on my ear, Im doing salt soaks but I'm not sure it makes any difference? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Reply 6272
Original post by Bananagram
Hi guys, I'm having a problem with my helix piercing and was wondering if anyone could help!

My ears formed what I think might be a keloid on the outside of the ear, it doesn't hurt at all really but it looks awful, so I was wondering what can I do about it? I've had my piercing for a year and a half, and never had any problems with it but when I switched to a stud it started to get irritated. I switched back to a hoop but now have this stupid lump on my ear, Im doing salt soaks but I'm not sure it makes any difference? Any ideas?

Thanks!

It's not a keloid.

Your "hoop" will just be irritating it more, so switch to a well fitting barbell or labret stud.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
It's not a keloid.

Your "hoop" will just be irritating it more, so switch to a well fitting barbell or labret stud.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is its not sore at all, and the hoop doesn't touch it so i don't think it is irritating it. Because the lump is directly over the piercing I though that wearing a stud would continue to make it worse because it'll compress it whereas the hoop avoids this? Any suggestions as to what I can do to get rid of it?

Quick Reply

Latest