Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So skint don't know what to do!!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ff
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    why dont you want to get a student loan? call up student fianace and request a student loan! nothing is interest free
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    eat your hello kitty advent calender whilst looking at photographs and you shall calm the soul of an anxious flea which shall not flick its cigarette ash from chest of drawers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ateafeline)
    eat your hello kitty advent calender whilst looking at photographs and you shall calm the soul of an anxious flea which shall not flick its cigarette ash from chest of drawers
    whos flea is anxious pelaesse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wheer!e!!!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pukka)
    I'm so skint right now I don't know what to do. I've tried looking for a job but it's hopeless I hav'nt given up but I've waited to long and I need money now.

I can't even go out anywhere or even to university because I have none left
    my mum and dad are having financial problems and are also skint.
    I can't ask any of my friends, I hate asking people for stuff.
    An plus I don't really have friends that are that close due to not talking to people because of my depression.
    I have no money for food for myself if I go out, no money for train travel

I don't get the student loan because I don't want to he paying interest.
    I get a grant but it's not enough since it's my own fault I have cylothymia and I spend money. I don't blame it on my mental illness though everyone makes mistakes at some point.

I've got major depression and this is not helping. I have a normal account. I found out that I'm able to open a student account and plan to overdraft a bit of money just for travel and food. Is it possible for me to do this on the first day I open my account or do I have to wait for payments to come in first? Because if that's the case I can't go out till end of April.
    It's interest free you tit.

EDIT: I stand corrected, it's interest free for me. Now apparently it's 1.5%. ONE POINT FIVE PERCENT. My point pretty much still stands.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pukka)
    I'm so skint right now I don't know what to do. I've tried looking for a job but it's hopeless I hav'nt given up but I've waited to long and I need money now.

An plus I don't really have friends that are that close due to not talking to people because of my depression.

I get a grant but it's not enough since it's my own fault I have cylothymia and I spend money. I don't blame it on my mental illness though everyone makes mistakes at some point.

I've got major depression and this is not helping. I have a normal account. I found out that I'm able to open a student account and plan to overdraft a bit of money just for travel and food. Is it possible for me to do this on the first day I open my account or do I have to wait for payments to come in first? Because if that's the case I can't go out till end of April.

Get a student loan. The interest is negligible and you only pay it back after you're earning a fixed amount anyway.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cunexttuesday)
    whos flea is anxious pelaesse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wheer!e!!!
    hello friend

maybe own flea or hat anxious but look inside and u will trust the heart which gave you knowinw

kindest regards
    shamil
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Get a student loan you fool, it's interest free and you never have to pay it back until you're earning ~20k
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    It's interest free you tit.
    For loans prior to 2012 interest is charged at the CPI inflation rate current in the month of September from the time that you start receiving any money ie the loan earns interest all the time you are doing your degreee.

For student loans from 2012 interest will be charged at three percent above inflation from the moment you start receiving any money.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pukka)

Firstly, your reason for not wanting a student loan is ridiculous, the only people who could afford to go without a student loan are those with enough income coming in (be it from parents or a job) to support themselves, you have neither.

Secondly, Cyclothymia is a mild mood disorder, of which diagnosis is rare and requires the absence of the symptoms of MDD to be diagnosed, so I don't think you have both, although your low moments may seem like you have MDD, but you don't, which is a good thing. However, people with Bi-polar disorder which is more severe than Cyclothymia can manage their finances, you have to anticipate that you may have manic moments and spend a lot, so account for these and save what little money you have.

I would strongly advise against using your overdraft as a means of income, although interest free overdrafts can be a life saver, they do have to be paid back, and this can catch a lot of people out.

My suggestion is to keep applying for jobs, reapply to ones you got rejected from if the advert is still open, ask for feedback and ways to improve your CV from people you have applied to.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Universities have crisis loans of £100, no interest, pay it back when you can. You should get one to tide you over
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pukka)

Hi, sorry to hear about this.

If you are at university apply to the hardship loan facility.

In order to do this you will have to explain the overspend and also they will ask you to apply for your loan. You can get money from them though quickly as emergency cover/crisis loan.

Regarding overspending while in a high state. Go see your GP. Are you on any mood stabilisers? When not in the overspending mood then make serious plans that mean if you do cycle back into a high state then you have some protection. In particular put blocks on any gambling sites you may be registered with, ask a trusted person to take away you cards if you have gone into overspend, write down what you want people to do etc etc

Approach the hardship funds by explaining this overspend has happened due to your illness but that you are seeking help and support through your GP, are considering taking new medication and have made safety arrangements against future overspends. They are more likely to take you seriously.

The bank won't usually set up the overdraft facility until the first grant monies go through the account.

Take care

• 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almasy)
    Get a student loan you fool, it's interest free and you never have to pay it back until you're earning ~20k
    For loans prior to 2012 interest is charged at the CPI inflation rate current in the month of September from the time that you start receiving any money ie the loan earns interest all the time you are doing your degreee.

For student loans from 2012 interest will be charged at three percent above inflation from the moment you start receiving any money.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Post)
    Universities have crisis loans of £100, no interest, pay it back when you can. You should get one to tide you over
    Now I don't know exactly how these work, but I know that when I was applying for a HC2 certificate I had to declare any student loan I was entitled to, whether I took it up or not (the reasoning being that there must be a reason you didn't take up the loan, namely that you have enough money not to, and therefore have enough money to pay for prescriptions) - so if you have to say about your income or anything this may trap you here.
    As I said, I don't know how these things work, so I could be wrong.

My bank gave me an instant £200 overdraft when I opened the student account (Barclays) but they required income for any extensions.
    I would recommend getting a student loan, you don't have to apply for the full amount, just take out what you think you will need. Yeah, its debt but the interest is lower than a normal loan etc. I couldn't live without mine.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of options open to students in order to gain extra finance.

You may be in an unfortunate position but I would suggest taking out a student loan. The interest is charged at the rate of inflation which means that it is "effectively" interest free. As stated by many of the replies too, you will not have to pay back until earning over £15k after graduating.

Also, if you only need part of your loan then save the extra in a savings account etc. and then use it to support you after graduation.

I would also suggest meeting with a University financial adviser. They will be able to take you through your options. You may even be able to claim on the access to learning fund (however, this may not be possible due to the fact that you turned down a loan).

The interest free overdraft could work but you will need to be aware of the pay back time after graduating as you can get stung. It is important to check with the bank first but they do not let you take out an overdraft without depositing money first (which is meant to be your student loan).

I hope that this helps and I hope that you are able to manage the situation.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 6, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.