Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cannot put on weight

Announcements Posted on

no matter how hard I try, I can never put on weight. I know this may sound stupid but I really dont know what to do. I weigh approx 8 and a half kilo and am 5''8.

People always tell me that I should eat more, plus look underweight, Ive been trying to eat as much as i can, but it doesnt really make a difference.
    Anyone else been in the same situation or have any recommendations?
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you weight 8.5 kilos I would be worried! Hoping you mean stones.

However.. if you eat enough you WILL gain weight, but it's all about helping yourself finding foods that you can eat without feeling as though you're having to stuff yourself. For example peanut butter has lots of cals in, a couple of spoons of that a day would help. Have you consider high calorie shakes between meals? The type of thing some people use as meal replacements when they're losing weight; but drink them in addition to your normal meals as well.

Don't try and gain weight by eating junk, that's not healthy, a balanced diet can still achieve weight gain providing you include some high calorie foods. That being said, gaining will be easier if you don't deny yourself the odd chocolate bar!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    eat harder, get fatter!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could you make a log of your diet tomorrow or give us all the food you had today. I can sort of see where you can improve then. Don't try to add or taking away any foods to make it seem like you have a better diet, just tell us honestly what you have.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Drastically reduce exercise
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    If you weight 8.5 kilos I would be worried! Hoping you mean stones.

However.. if you eat enough you WILL gain weight, but it's all about helping yourself finding foods that you can eat without feeling as though you're having to stuff yourself. For example peanut butter has lots of cals in, a couple of spoons of that a day would help. Have you consider high calorie shakes between meals? The type of thing some people use as meal replacements when they're losing weight; but drink them in addition to your normal meals as well.

Don't try and gain weight by eating junk, that's not healthy, a balanced diet can still achieve weight gain providing you include some high calorie foods. That being said, gaining will be easier if you don't deny yourself the odd chocolate bar!
    What type of healthy high calorie shakes are there to buy?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't reduce excercise. Eats LOTS of carbohydrates.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    8 and a half kilo? Loooool

By the way I'm in exact same position as you OP. Same height and weight aswell lol.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL sorry i meant 8 and half pounds.
    Does anyone know if complan is a good way to put on weight?
    I also heard about ensure plus?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anon fail^

Eat what you are eating now every day, then add on and extra 500kcals. You will put on weight within a week, if you don't then add another 500 per day.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glow in the dark)
    Anon fail^

Eat what you are eating now every day, then add on and extra 500kcals. You will put on weight within a week, if you don't then add another 500 per day.
    lol yh dont care tbh
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 197naa)
    I think ensure plus and complan are pretty much the same thing. I've been told to try that too.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol yh dont care tbh
    List what you eat in an average day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Buy a large pizza with as many toppings as possible, then take a bottle of olive oil and pour all of it on the pizza. Then eat it.

Do this once a day. If you still can't put on weight you should head to your nearest university so they can confirm that you are infact, an alien.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I think ensure plus and complan are pretty much the same thing. I've been told to try that too.
    ensure plus is harder to find tho and more expensive
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

You mean 8 and a half stone.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    List what you eat in an average day.
    Ill try and get this as accurate as possible: e.g yesterday

2 toast and scrambled eggs (2 eggs)
    cereal
    tea
    coffee
    2 meat sandwiches for lunch as in 4 pieces of bread
    pasty from greggs
    choclate bueno
    tea
    pack of crisp
    glass of milk
    4 hot dogs with mashed potato
    some fruit
    and course water
    thats basically what I had yesterday, might have missed something
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Start force feeding. Sounds retarded but thats how you gain weight, eating slightly past your comfort zone every meal.

Not to throwing up levels or anywhere near. Just you keep eating even though you're not hungry/enjoying the food, just sit there and slowly eat more.

As a weightlifter I eat for breakfast a big bowl of porridge, 6 eggs and a protein shake to finish off.

This would last me 2.5 - 3 hours. Sounds silly, but its the kinda **** that you need to do (add it slowly obviously).
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to lose the anon OP, lol

nuts and seeds will become your best mates once you realise how beneficial they are for weight gain.

They contain lots of good fats (UNsaturated) and protein and fibre - helping you gain weight but not flab.
    Any sort; peanuts, almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, linseed, sesame seeds... sesame snaps are great

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 10, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.