Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to stay focused online?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Before turning on my laptop:
    Okay, I have this, this and this to do, and I've made a list for myself.

After turning on my laptop:
    My list becomes invisible - despite the fact that it is right beside me - and I get distracted by the blogs, facebook updates, and reading through websites for information I think could come in handy.

After turning off my laptop:
    Darn. There goes a day. Oh, here's my list! $^%@%$*#@

Anyone of you has the same problem as I do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Oh my god, I am terrible for this! When I really really need to work, I am able to shut everything else out, but when I could just do with working, I end up procrastinating on games, facebook and TSR If i didn't actually need to use the internet, I would turn off my connection on my laptop so I didn't keep going online to check things, but I need to use the internet, so I can't do that!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you use firefox, you can use an add-on called BlockSite. You add sites that you usually procrastinate on to the add-on and it will block those sites for you. Hopefully then you'll be able to concentrate. It works like a gem for me.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Leechblock is good. I haven't installed it on my laptop, but I really should. :nothing:

But I find it hard to block everything except what I'm looking for, I haven't come up with an effective rule yet.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I remember reading a MetaFilter thread (is that the right term to use?) once, and I had to save this:
    Two things: spend less time browsing the web. I found that surfing has really hindered my attention span.

Second, when I read I have a sheet of paper next to me. When another thought--something to do, look up, whatever--comes up, I jot it down and can get back to reading without having to follow the impulse.
    I haven't made any progress since I read this thread :ashamed2: but I think the quoted bit especially is good advice.

I think that having lots of tabs open has really ****ed up my attention span, so the logical thing to do would be to limit the number of tabs I have open, right?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tend to go to the library and use the PCs there. Without immediate access/login to all of the websites I use, I'm far less likely to get distracted for extended periods. I'm also deterred from procrastinating by the prospect of people being able to watch what I'm doing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    I tend to go to the library and use the PCs there. Without immediate access/login to all of the websites I use, I'm far less likely to get distracted for extended periods. I'm also deterred from procrastinating by the prospect of people being able to watch what I'm doing.
    This.

I tried those blocking add ons, but finding ways round them/ new sites just lead to even more procrastination...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    I think that having lots of tabs open has really ****ed up my attention span, so the logical thing to do would be to limit the number of tabs I have open, right?
    Exactly! Right now I have 5 TSR tabs open (I'm taking a break from writing my scholarship essay) and I'm betting that I'd forget the existence of this tab when I turn to the others later. Better start limiting the number of tabs open, I'd say.

(Original post by whyumadtho)
    I tend to go to the library and use the PCs there. (...) I'm also deterred from procrastinating by the prospect of people being able to watch what I'm doing.
    That is what I'm doing right now. I'd stay at the library from 10-6 most of the time to keep me focused. It seems to be working, albeit my thoughts still stray around at times. My essay has been progressing nicely.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah think it happens to everyone, I plan do get on with work but end up getting distracted by websites and have work open ready to do then next thing I know it's late and need to go bed, it's annoying because need to use internet for research but can't turn it off as get bored
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Using these blocking apps really doesn't wok for me.
    For the first day its like a miracle
    For every other day after that I spend more time trying to disable the darn thing.

I think the best method is to sit in a room with not many distractions. Think do you REALLY need the internet. If not get someone reliable to turn it off for an hour or so while you get your work done.
    Maybe you could try going to a library as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saliency)
    For the first day its like a miracle
    For every other day after that I spend more time trying to disable the darn thing.
    LOL I know I'll do just that. That's why I don't install site blockers!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't go on TSR or Facebook.

<3 x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you've got Chrome, try Chrome Nannay? You can choose which websites to block, when to block them, and how long to allow them for (if any!). I found it fairly useful when revising, but if you've got a couple of browsers, it's hard not to just go on them
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do a barrel roll.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnconnor92)
    Before turning on my laptop:
    Okay, I have this, this and this to do, and I've made a list for myself.

After turning on my laptop:
    My list becomes invisible - despite the fact that it is right beside me - and I get distracted by the blogs, facebook updates, and reading through websites for information I think could come in handy.

After turning off my laptop:
    Darn. There goes a day. Oh, here's my list! $^%@%$*#@

Anyone of you has the same problem as I do?
    You're fairly new here.

Welcome to the joys of TSR
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have the same problem.
    What I do always is when I turn on my laptop I set a timer so I can do all the stuff like check facebook etc.
    Then when the timer is up I start doing my homework and stuff. I find it quite useful but it took me a while to get the hang of it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 8, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.