Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how can I tell my parents that I am pregnant

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014

I am not married but I have a boyfriend. He wants to marry me but I am too scared to introduce him to my family. Now I am also pregnant which is really shocking for me. I am a student in colllege and next year my plan was to study in university. My family is really looking forward for my university studies. I am really sure if I tell my mother and my dad they will be really disappointed. Also my mother is pregnant and I am scared that this news may make her lose her child.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Parents will always be disappointed. But what you've got to remember is that this is only because they want the best for you. Having a child will change your life and the lives of everyone close to you forever. Telling your parents will be hard, but it is necessary, as you will probably be in need of a lot of help and advice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that people never think of the consequences? Condoms aren't expensive.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How is babby formed?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infallible)
    Why is it that people never think of the consequences? Condoms aren't expensive.
    They don't work 100% of the time either, maybe she did use them.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    They don't work 100% of the time either, maybe she did use them.
    Shouldn't have had sexual intercourse if she wasn't prepared for the consequences.

End of.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't have had sexual intercourse if she wasn't prepared for the consequences.

End of.
    If everybody thought like you, nobody would do anything. How boring would that be? Even walking down the road has 'consequences' sometimes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're from the UK OP you should really start making use of the free contraception (although apparently it's free in the US too now?!)

Other than that, it really isn't the end of the world, my friend has just had a baby at the age of 18 and she has still gone to university. Check with the university what help is available as some run free/cheap child care, where they will look after your children whilst you have lectures and many also have family accommodation for students with children, or you could rent nearby?

If you don't want to go to university with a really young child you can always leave it for a few years until the child is older.

Other than that there really isn't much advice I can give, before going to your parents I would suggest making a few plans, such as what you are going to do about education, how you will raise the baby, if you will go through with the pregnancy and talk it through with your boyfriend, that way when you talk with your parents they will know that you've thought hard about everything and that you have a plan so they won't have to worry then it's just a matter of sitting down with your parents and breaking the news to them, you really just have to be blunt about it, there's not really any way of softening the blow.

Plus, i'm sure they will be happy and excited once the shock has worn off, also,don't worry too much about your mum, I'm sure she'll be fine. Pregnant women are surprisingly resilient.

It's better telling them now then waiting a few months down the line when you start to show!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    If everybody thought like you, nobody would do anything. How boring would that be? Even walking down the road has 'consequences' sometimes.
    ...A lot less risky than unprotected sex, I must point out.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Through the medium of spontaneous birth.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackso)
    ...A lot less risky than unprotected sex, I must point out.
    Indeed, but I was talking about protected sex.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    As long as you're prepared for them, what's the problem? I didn't say 'don't have sex', did I? This person was clearly unprepared for the potential consequences, which is slightly different.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you should have kept your legs closed because you should have. Tell them your boyfriend should have wrapped it up because he should have
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    Indeed, but I was talking about protected sex.
    Just using a condom is barely protected, imo. Although I have no idea about what happened regarding the OP.
    • 110 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think they'll figure it out in a few months anyway.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    They may have mixed emotions at first, but will support you. Tell them ASAP. Do it in a letter if you feel that is easier
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackso)
    Just using a condom is barely protected, imo. Although I have no idea about what happened regarding the OP.
    Well 99% protection rate (if used properly, which isn't hard to do) isn't what I would call 'barely protected' but that's your opinion.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're prepared for them, what's the problem? I didn't say 'don't have sex', did I? This person was clearly unprepared for the potential consequences, which is slightly different.
    And how exactly can you be prepared for being hit by a bus, for example? It's also impractical to prepare for possible consequences of many actions that you do, even if it's possible to prepare. Are you saying that every couple should have £10,000 in savings to bring up a kid just so that they are prepared for the worst?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    Well 99% protection rate (if used properly, which isn't hard to do) isn't what I would call 'barely protected' but that's your opinion.
    99 times out of 100 isn't that fantastic; especially considering the vast majority of long-term couples will have had sex more than 100 times. Using the pill as well at least confirms nothing will happen.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    And how exactly can you be prepared for being hit by a bus, for example? It's also impractical to prepare for possible consequences of many actions that you do, even if it's possible to prepare. Are you saying that every couple should have £10,000 in savings to bring up a kid just so that they are prepared for the worst?
    I didn't say 'as long as you're prepared to combat the consequences'. Can you please just read what I'm typing, rather than adding bits to it?

You said: 'Even walking down the road has 'consequences' sometimes'

As long as you're prepared that there could be a consequence to you walking down the street, then what's the problem? You could take a risk assessment, which would minimise the likelihood of some incidents, but who is actually going to?

Risk assessment for OP:

Sexual intercourse

Risk: pregnancy

Prevention: condom + M.A.P

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 7, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.