Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dropping an AS-Level half way through the year? Advice

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alright so with my subject choices I'm fine with three of them, however, the fourth one (History) I hate. I don't have a clue on why I picked that. I barley went into lessons due to me not being able to change it early on, and now it seems as if It will just harm my other subjects if I concentrate on it now.

Would it be sensible to to drop AS History and carry on with three AS's for now (Maths, Physics, Chemistry)? I know most universities i.e. UCL/Imperial ask for four AS's so I was planning to do three AS's now and then do three A2's and one intensive A2 next year (whole of Further Maths)

What should I do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kravez)
    Alright so with my subject choices I'm fine with three of them, however, the fourth one (History) I hate. I don't have a clue on why I picked that. I barley went into lessons due to me not being able to change it early on, and now it seems as if It will just harm my other subjects if I concentrate on it now.

Would it be sensible to to drop AS History and carry on with three AS's for now (Maths, Physics, Chemistry)? I know most universities i.e. UCL/Imperial ask for four AS's so I was planning to do three AS's now and then do three A2's and one intensive A2 next year (whole of Further Maths)

What should I do?
    I do virtually the same subjects as you (Bio, Chem, Physi & History) and how did you find the first half of the year? If it went alright but you just hated it then stick with it, but if you think you may have done badly in the January exams you may want to drop it as it might pull your other grades down in the future. However, if you drop it you stand not as great a chance of being accepted into uni compared to others. Nevertheless, 3 As (for example) at AS would be much better than something like an a B and a C, with a C or D in history. If you think that it will drastically affect your other subjects, drop it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion if you drop history now, half of your year will have been wasted. Just try and survive AS level and then drop it for A2 so this way you will have something to show for all the time you have spent in AS level so far in history
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you hate it AND you do badly then drop it.
    If you hate it BUT you do okay then keep going, it will be much better for getting Uni offers.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation but physics was the one I hated. Keep with it, it helps boost your UCAS Tariff and you've only really got another 2 or3 months of putting up with it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 6, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.