Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Easy differentiation?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im trying to differentiate

[v-\sum_{i=1}^{n}q_{i}-c_{1}]q_{1}-F

With respect to q1.

I know that the answer is:

v-(\sum_{i=1}^{n}q_{i})-c_{1}+q_{1}(-1)

But I dont know where the final term comes from (the -q1)

Could please help, I'm pretty sure this is really simple but ive been staring at it for ages and just dont know where the -q1 comes from.
    • 35 followers

(Original post by RAFecon)
    You're using, or should be, the product rule on the bracket term in your original expression. The derivative of everything in the brackets is simply -1.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Expand the summation term by term for the 1st three terms, say. Then work out the derivatives. You'll see where the -q1 come from then.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve10)
    Expand the summation term by term for the 1st three terms, say. Then work out the derivatives. You'll see where the -q1 come from then.
    Yes I can see where it comes from now if I expand the summation, thanks. But I would like to know automatically when using the product rule.

(Original post by ghostwalker)
    You're using, or should be, the product rule on the bracket term in your original expression. The derivative of everything in the brackets is simply -1.
    I think I'm missing something. How do the brackets differentiate to -1 when you differentiate w.r.t. q1
    • 35 followers

(Original post by RAFecon)
    I think I'm missing something. How do the brackets differentiate to -1 when you differentiate w.r.t. q1
    Differentiating what's inside the brackets term by term. There's only one term in q1, and that's the -q1 under the summation sign (giving -1).

It's the same as steve10 is suggesting, but doing it in your head.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Differentiating what's inside the brackets term by term. There's only one term in q1, and that's the -q1 under the summation sign (giving -1).

It's the same as steve10 is suggesting, but doing it in your head.
    oh, ok. thanks

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 6, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.