Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Hunger Games movie

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Wait... those dogs were called muttations? Oh jeez, that's even worse than unobtanium...
    Muttations are the common man's term for the mutated animals that the capitol puts about. SO the dogs, the jabberjays, the weird monkeys that come in the second book, the lizard things in the third... all are muttations.
    • 17 followers

Wait... those dogs were called muttations? Oh jeez, that's even worse than unobtanium...
    Hey, why be fancy about it?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Haha why out of interest? Can't recall him doing anything for people to not like him in the books.

Ehh I just really didn't like his nice 'lover boy' act, and how much of a suck up he was to Katniss. I guess, really, my dislike of him sort of stems from how much I like Gale's character.

Hmm I know it's not really justified, but he just annoyed me- which is probably why I hate the bitter ending of the final book.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, anyone seen it twice?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    Muttations are the common man's term for the mutated animals that the capitol puts about. SO the dogs, the jabberjays, the weird monkeys that come in the second book, the lizard things in the third... all are muttations.
    No those things are MUTATIONS he was exclaiming at the crudeness of "mutt" ations

Mutt as in dog.

D'ya see?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Almost but not quite
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mojojojo)
    I want to.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheebs1201)
    No those things are MUTATIONS he was exclaiming at the crudeness of "mutt" ations

Mutt as in dog.

D'ya see?
    Yeah, the irony in naming is quite clear. I'm just pointing out that all the mutations are known as muttations- not just the dogs.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mojojojo)
    I'm going again this Orange Wednesday :sexface:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fun fact, unobtanium wasn't coined by the writers of Avatar but has been used in engineering for over 50 years
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    I'm going again this Orange Wednesday :sexface:
    I might be going again on Thursday. There's nothing else on in the cinema at the moment that seems worth seeing!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Despite the initial disappointment that the contestants from District 9 weren't aliens, I thought it was surprisingly good. However, I felt that the bit with the mutant mutts was very anti-climactic; I was really looking forward to seeing them with their human eyes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spoilers in case folks are reading this who haven't seen it..though I guess most have who are in the thread.

I've not read the book(s) by the way so this is purely on the film..

Spoiler:
    Show
    I really liked it but I do have two questions..

1) How true is the film to the book? I was surprised that when that young black girl died and her people from her district began rioting, nothing really came of it? I'd sort of imagined more was going to happen in the film about society turning against the games from the main characters behaviours?

2) Since there are more books, do they follow the same characters? The movie didn't seem to actually end on much of a cliffhanger. In that they won, went home, one bad guy has to eat deadly berries for allowing the whole scenario of two winners to occur. Girls original love interest (well he liked her at least) is disappointed she seems to have fallen for the guy she was in the games with.....that's about it. Unless they added an after the credits scene I didn't see. There was no real talk of "okay we've survived, now we need to do something about society in general, stopping the games etc", so....what will subsequent films be about exactly?

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Spoilers in case folks are reading this who haven't seen it..though I guess most have who are in the thread.

I've not read the book(s) by the way so this is purely on the film..

Spoiler:
    Show
    I really liked it but I do have two questions..

1) How true is the film to the book? I was surprised that when that young black girl died and her people from her district began rioting, nothing really came of it? I'd sort of imagined more was going to happen in the film about society turning against the games from the main characters behaviours?

2) Since there are more books, do they follow the same characters? The movie didn't seem to actually end on much of a cliffhanger. In that they won, went home, one bad guy has to eat deadly berries for allowing the whole scenario of two winners to occur. Girls original love interest (well he liked her at least) is disappointed she seems to have fallen for the guy she was in the games with.....that's about it. Unless they added an after the credits scene I didn't see. There was no real talk of "okay we've survived, now we need to do something about society in general, stopping the games etc", so....what will subsequent films be about exactly?

Spoiler:
    Show
    1. It followed it pretty closely and the author wrote the script. However, the second book is all about the riots and what happens to all of the characters immediately after the Hunger Games. The third book focuses on a war between the 'rebels' (the rioters) and the Capitol, still consisting of some of the same characters who have survived (she starts killing them off pretty quickly.) There were no riots in the first book, though.

2. Well, that ^ Snow views Katniss as having 'cheated' the hunger games and so do the public, and they see her a symbol of hope in order to rise up against the Capitol. The Mockingbird becomes their logo, more or less.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    watched about two week ago, and only one thing to say: IT WAS SO GOOD !!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackso)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1. It followed it pretty closely and the author wrote the script. However, the second book is all about the riots and what happens to all of the characters immediately after the Hunger Games. The third book focuses on a war between the 'rebels' (the rioters) and the Capitol, still consisting of some of the same characters who have survived (she starts killing them off pretty quickly.) There were no riots in the first book, though.

2. Well, that ^ Snow views Katniss as having 'cheated' the hunger games and so do the public, and they see her a symbol of hope in order to rise up against the capitol.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I see so that makes sense. Obviously I understand Katniss cheating Snow from his point of view, but when you say people see her as a symbol of hope. Is that the 13 districts only, or some citizens of capitol itself?

Also...are there many other districts? As in since this is the future USA basically, are there lots of other districts which did not involve themselves in some sort of civil war and so are technology advanced and prosperous? As I assume the poverty and backwards lifestyle of the 13 districts is a sort of control and punishment from the capitol? Or does the book not really discuss that sort of thing?

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I see so that makes sense. Obviously I understand Katniss cheating Snow from his point of view, but when you say people see her as a symbol of hope. Is that the 13 districts only, or some citizens of capitol itself?

Also...are there many other districts? As in since this is the future USA basically, are there lots of other districts which did not involve themselves in some sort of civil war and so are technology advanced and prosperous? As I assume the poverty and backwards lifestyle of the 13 districts is a sort of control and punishment from the capitol? Or does the book not really discuss that sort of thing?

Spoiler:
    Show
    That is primarily District 3-12 and some of District 2 (they are treated well in comparison to the other districts.) Katniss making the Capitol look foolish is what gives the Districts motivation to start fighting back, although this is what District 13 had tried to do many years ago and it had allegedly been entirely destroyed as a consequence. The vast majority of the people from the Capitol are entirely oblivious as to how morally wrong the entire system is, with the exception of a very select few who see the problems with their society and rebel.

There were initially thirteen, including the Capitol, but apparantly the 13th was bombed as I mentioned before (this later becomes a big plot device.) The way the citizens of the various districts are treated is in order to mantain strict control after society nearly collapsed, and the Hunger Games was formed as a reminder of this, that the Capitol have complete control.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackso)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That is primarily District 3-12 and some of District 2 (they are treated well in comparison to the other districts.) Katniss making the Capitol look foolish is what gives the Districts motivation to start fighting back, although this is what District 13 had tried to do many years ago and it had allegedly been entirely destroyed as a consequence. The vast majority of the people from the Capitol are entirely oblivious as to how morally wrong the entire system is, with the exception of a very select few who see the problems with their society and rebel.

There were initially thirteen, including the Capitol, but apparantly the 13th was bombed as I mentioned before (this later becomes a big plot device.) The way the citizens of the various districts are treated is in order to mantain strict control after society nearly collapsed, and the Hunger Games was formed as a reminder of this, that the Capitol have complete control.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I KNEW I WASN'T MAD! I said to my friends when we got out that I swore in the intro the guy said 13 districts rebelled, but only 12 districts seemed to be represented in the hunger games themselves. I assume because as far as others know, district 13 is gone? But by the sounds of it from what you're saying that's not quite true, maybe they're treated as slaves..who knows.. (no spoilers please haha I might get the books now).

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I KNEW I WASN'T MAD! I said to my friends when we got out that I swore in the intro the guy said 13 districts rebelled, but only 12 districts seemed to be represented in the hunger games themselves. I assume because as far as others know, district 13 is gone? But by the sounds of it from what you're saying that's not quite true, maybe they're treated as slaves..who knows.. (no spoilers please haha I might get the books now).

Spoiler:
    Show
    Haha, yep, you were dead on. As far as everyone knows, District 13 was completely obliterated by nukes I think. And you definitely should, they are a very short and enjoyable read although a lot of people (myself included) found the last one to be the weakest.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypocrism)
    Fun fact, unobtanium wasn't coined by the writers of Avatar but has been used in engineering for over 50 years
    I know that, I saw the Core. :proud:

But it is a joke term. And when movies use it seriously it's just hilariously terrible. Like if someone had said "Oh no! We're being chased by m-m-muttations!"

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 13, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.