Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Hunger Games movie

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidneyjean)
    There are three- they're all pretty different, so I'd start with the first and go from there. Would totally recommend reading at least the first one before seeing the film!
    Thanks. I could have just googled it but meh.

I wasn't planning on reading the second book first by the way
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mufasaa)
    I saw it and I've not read the books, it's an absolutely cracking film. Only things I didn't like were the love story (completely unnecessary and slowed the film down a load) and how clean it was (a film entirely about murdering people with very little blood and guts, WTF?).

EDIT: Just read some other reviews, people are saying the film's confusing. I didn't think it was but that's probably because I read a quick synopsis of the background. If they chopped out any love story parts and put in some background story it'd be far better.
    There was quite a bit of blood spattering and guts and stuff in the film, but I read that they had to edit it out to get the film a 12A rating, otherwise it would have been a 15.

Should imagine an uncut version will be released on DVD.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Wow. I saw it yesterday (It was an advanced screening) and I can honestly say it was one of the best films I've seen.... I think it had SUCH a deep meaning, more than people might initially envision.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mojojojo)
    I assume you've read the books!
    Can i just ask you if you saw the Avox girl? She's credited and there were articles about her casting from ages ago but i didn't see her, and it was so annoying with the hovercraft in the woods near the beginning because i thought that would be the moment the she gets captured and their eyes meet etc.
    Also were you annoyed by the little details they changed? I understand them not wanting to introduce Madge for the sake of a few seconds, but little things like the Cat being black/white instead of ginger when it was called buttercup because of its fur, Cato not wearing his armour when we know that was in the bag, and the district 4 girl who is meant to die with glimmer due to the tracker jackers wasn't even in the career group.
    Finally, were you expecting the Thresh/Cato fight to be shown? I was expecting the corn field and a big fight that gave more light to what the books did.

So disappointed with how clean it was, i mean seriously, it's about death and i saw no blood spilled...I'm not even a bloodthirsty person just wanted it to live up to the books.
    Yeah, I have. Well, I saw several Avoxes dotted around their flat during one of the wide shots and there was one I thought seemed like the girl in the book, she seemed to have red hair, but I wasn't certain. I would have liked it if they'd included that, but they can't put everything in. It would have showed a little more of why Snow is so frightening, although I enjoyed the interaction between him and Seneca. Well, I'm really annoyed that they only mentioned districts One and Two as the ones where the Careers come from, because Four is a Career district as well, after all, that's where Finnick came from.

Ah, the black and white cat. Buttercup is basically supposed to look like Crookshanks from Harry Potter, not Jess from Postman Pat!! Stupid. And another thing...the Mutts? They were just flat faced dogs, the whole reason why they were so terrifying was because they had the eyes and hair/fur colour of the dead tributes. It's a key part of the book I think, because it shows you the sick lengths the Capitol are really willing to go to, and shows you how twisted their minds really are, not just that they force these children to fight to the death, but that they can't respect them after they die.

So many little things that irritate me in hindsight, but despite that it was a fantastic film in its own right and I'll definitely be watching it again.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sii217)
    There was quite a bit of blood spattering and guts and stuff in the film, but I read that they had to edit it out to get the film a 12A rating, otherwise it would have been a 15.

Should imagine an uncut version will be released on DVD.
    Oh wow, I didn't think of that. I hope so!!! That makes me seem bloodthirsty, but the violence didn't live up to the books. They did well though, since they were making it a 12 to pull in a bigger audience. Part of me finds that irritating, but since 12 year olds have probably read the book, it's slightly cruel to prevent them seeing the film, and it's nice that more people can see it, because it's amazing.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Yeah, I have. Well, I saw several Avoxes dotted around their flat during one of the wide shots and there was one I thought seemed like the girl in the book, she seemed to have red hair, but I wasn't certain. I would have liked it if they'd included that, but they can't put everything in. It would have showed a little more of why Snow is so frightening, although I enjoyed the interaction between him and Seneca. Well, I'm really annoyed that they only mentioned districts One and Two as the ones where the Careers come from, because Four is a Career district as well, after all, that's where Finnick came from.

Ah, the black and white cat. Buttercup is basically supposed to look like Crookshanks from Harry Potter, not Jess from Postman Pat!! Stupid. And another thing...the Mutts? They were just flat faced dogs, the whole reason why they were so terrifying was because they had the eyes and hair/fur colour of the dead tributes. It's a key part of the book I think, because it shows you the sick lengths the Capitol are really willing to go to, and shows you how twisted their minds really are, not just that they force these children to fight to the death, but that they can't respect them after they die.

So many little things that irritate me in hindsight, but despite that it was a fantastic film in its own right and I'll definitely be watching it again.
    Yes! The mutts! So annoyed! The little things would've only added a few seconds to the film though
    It's weird, i came out thinking that was terrible, they murdered the book. But now i want to see it again without the high expectations i had the first time to see if i like it more.
    Ruined literally all of the deaths though. :'(
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes! The mutts! So annoyed! The little things would've only added a few seconds to the film though
    It's weird, i came out thinking that was terrible, they murdered the book. But now i want to see it again without the high expectations i had the first time to see if i like it more.
    I really don't think they did

If it's the toned down violence that you're talking about, they really did try to keep it in, but Lionsgate made them change quite a bit of stuff to keep the film at a 12A (i.e. Clove's death, Glimmer's body looking so gross after her trackerjack stings, etc). In my opinion, they did absolutely brilliantly to keep a level of disturbing violence to the deaths and keep the film at a 12A at the same time. I had no complaint with any of the deaths at all.

People shouldn't get so hung up over the tiny little changes from the book. I mean, look at Harry Potter and how there was masses of stuff cut from the films which was in the books. The Hunger Games barely cut anything at all in comparison. The film was fantastic, so just enjoy it in its own right!
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Peeta got to keep his leg in the film, he lost it in the book. I forgot that until I was re-reading it today. Still, Josh Hutcherson played him perfectly, I was falling for his charm the second he started waving at people in the Capitol, and I was highly sceptical about his ability to play Peeta. :lol:

The deaths weren't good, I have to agree, but for a 12A they did remarkably well at conveying the violence. The battle between Katniss and Clove was fantastic, and Thresh was just faultless. Gutted that I'm not about four years older though, then I could play Annie in Catching Fire. Dammit. In fact, the fights and the deaths weren't the issue for me so much as the romance. They had one proper kiss, it was as though the romance was a sideline, which it was, but at the same time it's very important to Katniss because she knows that without it, she gets no sponsors. Or perhaps they're setting it up for the whole
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "The districts weren't convinced by your act and you've started several uprisings, thank you, Miss Everdeen" issue in the second film. Oh no...I just remembered what happens in that book. And they should absolutely split the second film into two, there's a natural break in the book anyway and so much happens in the arena that they could easily make the second half into a decent length film.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    I really don't think they did

If it's the toned down violence that you're talking about, they really did try to keep it in, but Lionsgate made them change quite a bit of stuff to keep the film at a 12A (i.e. Clove's death, Glimmer's body looking so gross after her trackerjack stings, etc). In my opinion, they did absolutely brilliantly to keep a level of disturbing violence to the deaths and keep the film at a 12A at the same time. I had no complaint with any of the deaths at all.

People shouldn't get so hung up over the tiny little changes from the book. I mean, look at Harry Potter and how there was masses of stuff cut from the films which was in the books. The Hunger Games barely cut anything at all in comparison. The film was fantastic, so just enjoy it in its own right!
    Did the slow motion, blurred sequence of people falling to the ground at the blood bath not annoy you? Clove's death was good, but wasn't she meant to draw around Katniss' lips with her knife, and Glimmer AND district 4 girl were meant to die from tracker jackers, but the district 4 girl wasn't even there, wasn't even part of the careers.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Peeta got to keep his leg in the film, he lost it in the book. I forgot that until I was re-reading it today. Still, Josh Hutcherson played him perfectly, I was falling for his charm the second he started waving at people in the Capitol, and I was highly sceptical about his ability to play Peeta. :lol:

The deaths weren't good, I have to agree, but for a 12A they did remarkably well at conveying the violence. The battle between Katniss and Clove was fantastic, and Thresh was just faultless. Gutted that I'm not about four years older though, then I could play Annie in Catching Fire. Dammit. In fact, the fights and the deaths weren't the issue for me so much as the romance. They had one proper kiss, it was as though the romance was a sideline, which it was, but at the same time it's very important to Katniss because she knows that without it, she gets no sponsors. Or perhaps they're setting it up for the whole
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "The districts weren't convinced by your act and you've started several uprisings, thank you, Miss Everdeen" issue in the second film. Oh no...I just remembered what happens in that book. And they should absolutely split the second film into two, there's a natural break in the book anyway and so much happens in the arena that they could easily make the second half into a decent length film.
    YES! She was meant to tie a tourniquet around it using her last arrow, and then he tells her to take it out to shoot Cato and put him out of his misery. I swear Cato's death went on all night though, and it was in the morning she decided to kill him, not straight away.

Catching Fire was my favourite book, probably because i knew what was going to happen in the first as my friend told me before i read it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved it when Katniss dropped the hive on the guys below, and when she teared the apple bag open, blowing their resources to smitheries.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did the slow motion, blurred sequence of people falling to the ground at the blood bath not annoy you? Clove's death was good, but wasn't she meant to draw around Katniss' lips with her knife, and Glimmer AND district 4 girl were meant to die from tracker jackers, but the district 4 girl wasn't even there, wasn't even part of the careers.
    I liked the blood bath sequence a lot, actually. I thought the lack of sound and the slow motion really conveyed Katniss's horror at what was going on and her inner conflict as to whether to go for the bow and arrow or not. It made a lot of sense to focus most on Katniss and what she saw at that point, because the people who died at the blood bath don't matter to the story from then on, whereas Katniss obviously does, so there wouldn't have been much point in characterising them much more beyond their deaths.

Clove had a knife at Katniss's throat, isn't that enough? The absence of district 4 girl didn't annoy me even slightly, since she's completely inconsequential to the book and her character isn't at all developed beyond being "the district 4 girl", so why does it matter that she wasn't there? The district 4 girl being there would have confused the people in the audience who hadn't read the books, if anything, because she wasn't characterised. They can't put EVERY little detail from the book into the film, that would be ridiculous, so they include what actually matters.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just seen the film, I thought it did an incredible job of complimenting the books.

They cut so little I barely noticed it, and they weren't afraid to have a hefty 2.5 hours to make sure they covered it all. I mean, around half of the film was pre-arena wasn't it? They could've cut loads from it at the cost of making the characters feel less 'real', but they didn't.

In my opinion, one of the best book-film adaptations I've seen - LOTR not counting because it was practically hallowed lore, whereas this is coming from a teen-focused narrative, so there was a risk of it becoming a quick cash-cow like Eragon was (which made me want to tear my ears out, pulp my eyes into them and then drink the fluids)
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went to see this last night. I didn't really want to see it because I'm a Battle Royale fan, but I was late for another movie so I had no choice :dry:

Anyway, there was one bit I really didn't understand. Didn't that Peter guy join up with that group of killers near the beginning of the game and try to kill Katniss? But then later Katniss ran off to be with him when she found out they could both be saved? If he was only pretending to help them or something, that wasn't really explained properly... it didn't really seem like that at all. Could someone who's read the books explain what was going on there?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Just seen the film, I thought it did an incredible job of complimenting the books.

They cut so little I barely noticed it, and they weren't afraid to have a hefty 2.5 hours to make sure they covered it all. I mean, around half of the film was pre-arena wasn't it? They could've cut loads from it at the cost of making the characters feel less 'real', but they didn't.

In my opinion, one of the best book-film adaptations I've seen - LOTR not counting because it was practically hallowed lore, whereas this is coming from a teen-focused narrative, so there was a risk of it becoming a quick cash-cow like Eragon was (which made me want to tear my ears out, pulp my eyes into them and then drink the fluids)
    Good post! I honestly can't believe that there are people complaining about the film not having done justice to the book. I thought they did an absolutely superb job.
    • 157 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    I went to see this last night. I didn't really want to see it because I'm a Battle Royale fan, but I was late for another movie so I had no choice :dry:

Anyway, there was one bit I really didn't understand. Didn't that Peter guy join up with that group of killers near the beginning of the game and try to kill Katniss? But then later Katniss ran off to be with him when she found out they could both be saved? If he was only pretending to help them or something, that wasn't really explained properly... it didn't really seem like that at all. Could someone who's read the books explain what was going on there?
    He was only pretending to help them.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm definetely watching it this weekend, the books are so amazing- much better than twilight!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    He was only pretending to help them.
    Oh, okay. They should have made that way clearer.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:

Yeah, that's a point. What happens is he's just leading them wherever he wants, trying to keep them from finding her. Not 100% sure why, maybe they come across him and it's just his ploy of staying alive and being a 'man on the inside' in case they do eventually find her. He was always rooting for her, I guess they hoped that the pre-arena hints about him deferring to her as the best of the two of them was sufficient.

So he wasn't trying to kill her, just do anything to avoid them just mowing her down as a pack.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, okay. They should have made that way clearer.
    I've read the books, but wasn't it made fairly obvious when Glimmer is shooting arrows at Katniss up in the tree and Peeta says that they should come back and kill her another time?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 13, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.