Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Hunger Games movie

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    Good post! I honestly can't believe that there are people complaining about the film not having done justice to the book. I thought they did an absolutely superb job.
    I really need to read the other books again :eek:

I 'think' I've read the second book, but it was so long ago.. I can't remember anything past the movie ending aside from a vague feeling that I know where the story goes from here, so I get to enjoy it all over again!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've read the books, but wasn't it made fairly obvious when Glimmer is shooting arrows at Katniss up in the tree and Peeta says that they should come back and kill her another time?
    Did he say that? I thought he said something along the lines of 'let's wait about at the bottom of this tree until she gets so thirsty/hungry she has to come down, and then we'll kill her'. I remember being all like :zomg: when he said that.

(Original post by Architecture-er)
    Yeah, that's a point. What happens is he's just leading them wherever he wants, trying to keep them from finding her. Not 100% sure why, maybe they come across him and it's just his ploy of staying alive and being a 'man on the inside' in case they do eventually find her. He was always rooting for her, I guess they hoped that the pre-arena hints about him deferring to her as the best of the two of them was sufficient.

So he wasn't trying to kill her, just do anything to avoid them just mowing her down as a pack.
    Cheers for that reply, that makes a lot more sense :laugh: It seemed as though he was actually tracking her in the film. I'm sure he said something like 'she went this way' and then we see her in the tree so it kinda looked like he led them to her on purpose. I would imagine it's explained much better in the book
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    Did he say that? I thought he said something along the lines of 'let's wait about at the bottom of this tree until she gets so thirsty/hungry she has to come down, and then we'll kill her'. I remember being all like :zomg: when he said that.

Cheers for that reply, that makes a lot more sense :laugh: It seemed as though he was actually tracking her in the film. I'm sure he said something like 'she went this way' and then we see her in the tree so it kinda looked like he led them to her on purpose. I would imagine it's explained much better in the book
    There's only one solution. Read the books! :thumbsup:

..you know you want to..
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can't remember his exact wording, but the whole point of it was to stop them from killing her, and I thought that came across in the film? :dontknow: though I suppose I have read it, so maybe it would have been less clear if I hadn't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictorDeLost)
    Thanks. I could have just googled it but meh.

I wasn't planning on reading the second book first by the way
    Haha, sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising! It's just that when I went to see it yesterday, after coming out the cinema, one of my friends (who hadn't read the books) said he was going to read them, but would start on the second one because he'd just seen the first seen the first film- YOU JUST CAN'T DO THAT. The books are too good
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    There's only one solution. Read the books! :thumbsup:

..you know you want to..
    Neveeeeeeeer :mad2:
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Neveeeeeeeer :mad2:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidneyjean)
    Haha, sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising! It's just that when I went to see it yesterday, after coming out the cinema, one of my friends (who hadn't read the books) said he was going to read them, but would start on the second one because he'd just seen the first seen the first film- YOU JUST CAN'T DO THAT. The books are too good
    I'd didn't think you were trying to be patronising I should come of this thread, it's like one big spoiler :P
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mojojojo)
    YES! She was meant to tie a tourniquet around it using her last arrow, and then he tells her to take it out to shoot Cato and put him out of his misery. I swear Cato's death went on all night though, and it was in the morning she decided to kill him, not straight away.

Catching Fire was my favourite book, probably because i knew what was going to happen in the first as my friend told me before i read it.
    Yeah, and then they show her in the interview and she hides her face in his shirt for ages and starts crying. That would have been an excellent thing to show, I don't know why they didn't. And I was furious that they didn't have her banging on the glass when he gets taken away. The romance side was just completely lacking, really. No wonder the districts weren't convinced, I'm surprised they had the Capitol fooled with that display. One kiss? Haymitch would have let her starve if that's all she did in reality. And yeah, Cato fights them for ages, he even kills a few, but I just wasn't as interested when they didn't have the freaky eye/fur thing going on. How bloody scary would that have been? I was on edge during the whole fight between Katniss and Clove though, even though I know what happens.

You agree! Lots of people don't like it, but it's definitely better than Mockingjay. Mockingjay was just too intense, I didn't like it. Plus there's something about the arena situation that makes for better reading, I don't know what. Well, I didn't know what was going to happen, but I knew Peeta and Katniss would both survive because I picked up Catching Fire in the shop and made the mistake of reading the blurb. Stupid me. But every time you see a trilogy you know the main character won't die. Usually.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I wish there was a)
    Seneca Crane was hot.
    Yes he was!!! My friends kept saying "Ew, his beard is weird." No it's not, it's gorgeous.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Yeah, and then they show her in the interview and she hides her face in his shirt for ages and starts crying. That would have been an excellent thing to show, I don't know why they didn't. And I was furious that they didn't have her banging on the glass when he gets taken away. The romance side was just completely lacking, really. No wonder the districts weren't convinced, I'm surprised they had the Capitol fooled with that display. One kiss? Haymitch would have let her starve if that's all she did in reality. And yeah, Cato fights them for ages, he even kills a few, but I just wasn't as interested when they didn't have the freaky eye/fur thing going on. How bloody scary would that have been? I was on edge during the whole fight between Katniss and Clove though, even I know what happens.

You agree! Lots of people don't like it, but it's definitely better than Mockingjay. Mockingjay was just too intense, I didn't like it. Plus there's something about the arena situation that makes for better reading, I don't know what. Well, I didn't know what was going to happen, but I knew Peeta and Katniss would both survive because I picked up Catching Fire in the shop and made the mistake of reading the blurb. Stupid me. But every time you see a trilogy you know the main character won't die. Usually.
    And catching fire has a great ending. I didn't expect it at all. So good!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I liked the blood bath sequence a lot, actually. I thought the lack of sound and the slow motion really conveyed Katniss's horror at what was going on and her inner conflict as to whether to go for the bow and arrow or not. It made a lot of sense to focus most on Katniss and what she saw at that point, because the people who died at the blood bath don't matter to the story from then on, whereas Katniss obviously does, so there wouldn't have been much point in characterising them much more beyond their deaths.

Clove had a knife at Katniss's throat, isn't that enough? The absence of district 4 girl didn't annoy me even slightly, since she's completely inconsequential to the book and her character isn't at all developed beyond being "the district 4 girl", so why does it matter that she wasn't there? The district 4 girl being there would have confused the people in the audience who hadn't read the books, if anything, because she wasn't characterised. They can't put EVERY little detail from the book into the film, that would be ridiculous, so they include what actually matters.
    I think the district 4 girl should matter, as in should've been in the careers. But they just ignored the fact that district 4's tributes are careers. Finnick was a career from 4, are they just going to ignore this?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the district 4 girl should matter, as in should've been in the careers. But they just ignored the fact that district 4's tributes are careers. Finnick was a career from 4, are they just going to ignore this?
    Well, no, because Finnick is a major character, but "the district 4 girl" isn't, so they didn't bother having her with the careers in the first film because it would have been an unnecessary complication. Simples.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, no, because Finnick is a major character, but "the district 4 girl" isn't, so they didn't bother having her with the careers in the first film because it would have been an unnecessary complication. Simples.
    I know SHE wasn't that significant but the fact she was a career is.
    They mentioned in the film that 1 & 2 are career districts & ignored 4 completely.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    And catching fire has a great ending. I didn't expect it at all. So good!
    Neither did I. Fantastic.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Although I spent most of it going "Where's Cinna? He'll turn up, right? They rescued Cinna? DIDN'T THEY RESCUE CINNA?!!!"

I get very attached to my characters. When Finnick died I was devastated.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    the most dull boring uninspired film ive seen in years, completely predictable, nonsical and just a waste of my time and money, i havent read the books so maybe they are better,

this film was just the bastard child of the running man and lord of the flies and failed to do either very well. At least when the japanese did this kind of film they made it interesting.

And what was with the monkey/dog things that came out of nowhere? Are they machines, GELFs, illussions, what?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    the most dull boring uninspired film ive seen in years, completely predictable, nonsical and just a waste of my time and money, i havent read the books so maybe they are better,

this film was just the bastard child of the running man and lord of the flies and failed to do either very well. At least when the japanese did this kind of film they made it interesting.

And what was with the monkey/dog things that came out of nowhere? Are they machines, GELFs, illussions, what?
    Have to read the books, without a doubt. I think they're excellent and I'll defend that decision, not quite to the grave though. I may be a literary person but even I'm not stupid enough to die over that.

They were genetically engineered dogs. Called muttations (awful, I know, but they are actually called that. Not just a pun because they're dogs either, they call these weird monkeys in Catching Fire the same thing) but I wasn't impressed with them in the film either. In the book they've got a lot more significance because they are designed to have fur the same colour as one of the dead tributes, and have eyes that match those of one of the dead tributes as well, so you can imagine how horrible it is for Katniss to see sweet little Rue's eyes in the face of a practically rabid wolf. I imagined them more wolf-like than the gorilla/dog cross they seemed to come up with.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know SHE wasn't that significant but the fact she was a career is.
    They mentioned in the film that 1 & 2 are career districts & ignored 4 completely.
    They can just say that 4 is a career district in the next film. :dontknow: Saying that 4 was a career district in the first film would have been problematic anyway, as the book doesn't give any information about either of 4's tributes, so they would have had nothing to work with. It's really not a big deal.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Neither did I. Fantastic.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Although I spent most of it going "Where's Cinna? He'll turn up, right? They rescued Cinna? DIDN'T THEY RESCUE CINNA?!!!"

I get very attached to my characters. When Finnick died I was devastated.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    When Cinna died i expected him to still be alive, and in the 3rd book i thought he'd appear somewhere Didn't imagine him as he was in the film, but he was good in it anyway, and Cinna is him now.
    I didn't think Finnick's death was good enough, it was like the rose-smelling human/lizard things just killed him and that was that. I had to reread that part a few times because i was like 'what, he's dead?' I missed it because it was so short! But i felt worse for Annie than Finnick
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a question. At the start of the film in the history lesson video they talk about 13 districts in the uprising, but then for the rest of the film they only ever reference the 12 districts that offer tributes. What happened to the elusive thirteenth district? It drove me crazy thinking I must have misheard it at the start.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.