The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Priyanka456
After 4 rejections, I am finally opting for a gap year and reapplying for next year!
I'm international, and I need to make more careful uni choices this year. Where do you suggest I apply to?
(provided I manage to get a decent UKCAT score)

my head of 6th form advised me to write down all my strengths and then just t trawl through as many unis as i could possibly see myself wanting to go to and match up what theyre looking for with what I have. This has helped me a lot, i've narrowed it down to about 6 unis now and im only reapplying to one of the ones i narrowly missed after failing miserably at interview last year :smile:
Just got my fourth rejection today, so I'm officially reapplying. Has anyone got thoughts on what to do in a gap year?
Reply 182
Original post by Sulfurious
Just got my fourth rejection today, so I'm officially reapplying. Has anyone got thoughts on what to do in a gap year?

get more work experience!!!!.....its gold!.....it makes your personal statement TONS better and at interview you can talk about different things for longer!!!
Original post by praj1
get more work experience!!!!.....its gold!.....it makes your personal statement TONS better and at interview you can talk about different things for longer!!!

Yeah I definitely need to. I didn't get any hospital experience and so didn't shadow any doctors. The hospital's around here didn't give me any despite trying for 8 months. Luckily I've got some lined up (after a year's wait) :tongue: It'll make the interviews much better as I won't run out of things to say like this year, and I'll get a better insight into a doctor's career. What kind of things did you do as extracurriculars in your gap year?

Well done on imperial btw :smile:
Original post by i_hate_ucas
my head of 6th form advised me to write down all my strengths and then just t trawl through as many unis as i could possibly see myself wanting to go to and match up what theyre looking for with what I have. This has helped me a lot, i've narrowed it down to about 6 unis now and im only reapplying to one of the ones i narrowly missed after failing miserably at interview last year :smile:

Ok, i'll try doing that! Thanks :smile:
Anyone planning to apply to Birmingham for 2013? I guess it'll be my top choice :redface:
Reply 185
Im re applying right now too :/ btw, is anyone thinking of doing Gap Medics(an organisation who do work experience and voluntary placements abroad) ?? I was lookin at them but i heard from some people that universities arent as impressed with work experience abroad as everyone says they are...does anyone know if they are? it seems like a really interesting thing.
Original post by essemmzee
Im re applying right now too :/ btw, is anyone thinking of doing Gap Medics(an organisation who do work experience and voluntary placements abroad) ?? I was lookin at them but i heard from some people that universities arent as impressed with work experience abroad as everyone says they are...does anyone know if they are? it seems like a really interesting thing.

Dont do gapmedic it's expensive and mostly a waste of your time and resources...
As someone that works abroad in relief work, you have to be 18 anyway but find a program where you can have a good impact and not just observing that you can do in the UK, e.g. teaching english, construction work, development projects. May small charities don't charge ridiculous prices to go and volunteer and often make a larger impact.
Enjoy your gap year off!
Reply 187
so f'ing pissed off right now got all medicine rejections and it feels like all this hard work has been put to waste :angry: Anyone know another career option like medicine, with a similar pay but is less stressful, less harder to get in and average social life overall ? feeling to work towards a new career this gap year i hate myself and medicine now :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Reply 188
Original post by @Sean43
so f'ing pissed off right now got all medicine rejections and it feels like all this hard work has been put to waste :angry: Anyone know another career option like medicine, with a similar pay but is less stressful, less harder to get in and average social life overall ? feeling to work towards a new career this gap year i hate myself and medicine now :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I would take a break for a while and start thinking again when you've calmed down a bit! I felt the same for a while but you'll probably come to terms with it. It sucks.
Original post by @Sean43

Business- better pay, less stressful, easier to get into, and a better social life. If that's what you're looking for.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 190
I'm actually getting really excited for this gap year hahah. I just got my fourth and final rejection from St. George's, but I' really aiming for a life-changing year. I've got a very long reading list I want to finish, study harder for the UKCAT, and volunteer all around the world and getting enough experience of being a doctor. And most importantly, a break from schooling. I'm in the IB program, and it's a bit stressful doing two years of 5 hours a sleep per day, and below zero level social life. Anyways I talk too much I know, but I think everyone should look at this as a new start, and personally I believe that everything happens for a reason, so embrace your life, and you all rock!!!! :bumps:
Reply 191
Original post by Sulfurious
Yeah I definitely need to. I didn't get any hospital experience and so didn't shadow any doctors. The hospital's around here didn't give me any despite trying for 8 months. Luckily I've got some lined up (after a year's wait) :tongue: It'll make the interviews much better as I won't run out of things to say like this year, and I'll get a better insight into a doctor's career. What kind of things did you do as extracurriculars in your gap year?

Well done on imperial btw :smile:

i play cricket.....took up a bit of football....decided i was gonna hit the gym....(not that its made any difference to my health at all....)

seriously....although i shouldnt really condone or encourage this.....but the extra cirricular part you can write any old BULL about....

some people do although have really interesting things.....but i suppose not everyone can spend time in nigeria saving children....(<<<<thats not me btw)
Reply 192
Original post by Roudin100
I'm actually getting really excited for this gap year hahah. I just got my fourth and final rejection from St. George's, but I' really aiming for a life-changing year. I've got a very long reading list I want to finish, study harder for the UKCAT, and volunteer all around the world and getting enough experience of being a doctor. And most importantly, a break from schooling. I'm in the IB program, and it's a bit stressful doing two years of 5 hours a sleep per day, and below zero level social life. Anyways I talk too much I know, but I think everyone should look at this as a new start, and personally I believe that everything happens for a reason, so embrace your life, and you all rock!!!! :bumps:

I feel the exact same way! :biggrin:
Ooh, other people who got bitchslapped by all their unis. This is the place for me. :tongue:

*watches thread*
Reply 194
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
Ooh, other people who got bitchslapped by all their unis. This is the place for me. :tongue:

*watches thread*

hahah I love the expression
hahah I love the expression

Feels kind of appropriate - I even got rejected by my 5th choice lol.
Reply 196
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
Feels kind of appropriate - I even got rejected by my 5th choice lol.

It's their loss you know :wink:
It's their loss you know :wink:

Touche, however it's still a pain.

That being said, now I have a chance to do some football coaching for a year. Not had a chance to get qualified yet and now I have a year and nothing to do apart from my volunteer work.

Positives for sure but I'm sure everyone will agree it can be a it difficult to see them :tongue:

Thank you, however :smile:
Reply 198
I'm re-posting this for all you guys, but don't take my advice, I've tried twice now and not got in...

So yes re-applicants is the key to this thread, I have devised a sh*ty list to help us acquire stronger applications this year and more importantly (...) to pass the time. By devised I mean think of things as I go along...

1. Have a break - now is probably the best time, I know you want to revaluate and do a little post mortem as it were of your last application but for your own sanity have a few weeks off and just stick to your daily routine of work/chill, eat, sleep..*
2. Get feedback for both non-interview and interview applicants, it is crucial to find out areas to improve on your application/UKCAT/interview technique.
3. Achieve the grades school kids focus on your grades and those in their last year of a degree, bloody hell, pull your finger out for that 2:1 minimum. Who wants to go to Nottingham?
4. Work experience more can’t hurt of course, although if you’ve shadowed 5 different doctors and worked in a ward setting for 6months+ I wouldn’t bother…there are other ways to tweak your PS.
5. Gain more confidence just in general, do things that test your character, I fall at this hurdle a lot. Talk to that attractive girl/boy at the bar, or stand up to that jobsworth at work.
6. Get immersed into your hobbies or find new ones that might be good for your PS/CV. Play golf, invent a new fruit or perhaps eat chairs.
7. Make money instead of moping around your parent’s house, occasionally earn some money eh! If you have ample experience in healthcare then just earn some pennies wherever you can, Tesco clothes might suit you.
8. UKCAT/GAMSAT revision you now know what to expect, I suggest you do multiple mock tests, purchase new materials and revel in your cerebral adventure.
9. Have fun I’m sure when you get into medicine you will still have fun, but truly enjoy some things you love before you have revision/doubts/patients in the back of your mind. Crack open that Father Ted box set and a box of milk tray.
10. Learn new skills if you haven’t learnt to drive yet (like me) think about perhaps trying to blitz this during the summer, just to get it out of the way. You could also master origami or learn to imitate foghorns.
11. Volunteer even if it’s nothing at all to do with medicine/healthcare/public awareness it will look good on your PS, they lap it up. For men I suggest you volunteer to be a female friend’s sex slave (and keep a diary).
12. Relive your childhood pick your nose, make immature comments (“you dropped your gay card” is a personal fave) and dribble your food down your chin. You will miss these days…
13. Create pointless lists on internet mediums - to allow maximum narcissism to occur and give people you don't know or care about something to laugh at.

*I find good relationships with family and friends, and class A drugs will help during this period.

P.S Whatever you do, do not become like this gentleman. *insert obvious youtube clip*

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 199
Original post by baztech
I'm re-posting this for all you guys, but don't take my advice, I've tried twice now and not got in...

Aha, this is very good advice! Will you be re-applying? If so, best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending