The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sumsum123
Hey there. I would say it is beneficial because you are improving your interpersonal skills. Personally, I dont think what you do is the most important thing, rather what skills you gain, what you learn and stuff like that. So long as you can show how what you learn either helped you understand what medicine is about or helped you develop vital skills. Have you got your gap year sorted? :smile:

Okay thanks.

I haven't been 100% focused on my gap year plans due to exams :rolleyes:
I will start looking for jobs properly in May and volunteering opportunities.
I have enough w/e, i guess i didn't reflect as well as i could have done :s-smilie:

How about you?
Original post by This Honest
Okay thanks.

I haven't been 100% focused on my gap year plans due to exams :rolleyes:
I will start looking for jobs properly in May and volunteering opportunities.
I have enough w/e, i guess i didn't reflect as well as i could have done :s-smilie:

How about you?

I am hoping to look for a job after my exams really. Yerh, I think my reflecting on my w/e in my p.s was not too good. I have sorted everything for my gap year apart from a job. Did not take me long, loads of opportunities where I live thankfully. Plus all the hard work of running around my city last year paid off by making it easier second time round to find opportunities aha! Good luck with everything :smile: Hope you have a wonderfull year ahead of you
Original post by Waterstorm
Get the 600 UKCAT questions book to help you with the UKCAT. That's the best recommended book. And just practice to get used to the style.

But otherwise, look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Thanks for your help, I'll get started on that after my exams are over.
Original post by sumsum123
I am hoping to look for a job after my exams really. Yerh, I think my reflecting on my w/e in my p.s was not too good. I have sorted everything for my gap year apart from a job. Did not take me long, loads of opportunities where I live thankfully. Plus all the hard work of running around my city last year paid off by making it easier second time round to find opportunities aha! Good luck with everything :smile: Hope you have a wonderfull year ahead of you

Ahh that's good :smile:
Thanks and the same to you!
Reply 244
Need to get a job for the summer. Doesn't help that I've got exams over the next two months which is probably when the interviews are. And the fact we have just entered another recession.
Original post by . .
Need to get a job for the summer. Doesn't help that I've got exams over the next two months which is probably when the interviews are. And the fact we have just entered another recession.

To be fair things weren't exactly when there was 'growth'.
Would it be good if you could get a job as a tutor?
Original post by Dr.Acula
I hear ya, lol. I think I've read every gap year related thread on TSR. I just want exams over with and want to crack on with my gap year. I'm getting really excited for it! Have you planned anything so far?

well ive just managed to get a job as a bank hca, hopefully ill be able to get another job during the week after school to fund my travels! plannning on going round europe interrailing with a friend and then going to gap medics in tanzania then thailand (i know loads of people will be like this is a waste of money but im doing it more as an easy way to travel and see two amazing countries than doing it specifically for the experience, although i do think itll be interesting to see how the hospitals in different countries differ). ive also just started my training to be a first responder with LIVES for a bit of extra experience and something that ill really enjoy while i do it :smile:

what are your plans? i know, im really excited too, in hindsight im actually kind glad i got my rejections because we'll never get a chance like this again, especially in a career like medicine
Reply 248
Original post by This Honest
Would it be good if you could get a job as a tutor?

Yep that's great, I was employed as a tutor by my sixth form and I used that in interview and in my PS to say how I've got experience teaching others which developed many skills e.g communication, leadership and time manageent as well. Also, part of the role of a doctor is to teach others so you'll already have a bit of experience :smile:
Original post by Cheddar
Yep that's great, I was employed as a tutor by my sixth form and I used that in interview and in my PS to say how I've got experience teaching others which developed many skills e.g communication, leadership and time manageent as well. Also, part of the role of a doctor is to teach others so you'll already have a bit of experience :smile:

Thank you very much for that. So so true :tongue:
Hey, sorry to crash the thread, but i was wondering if there were any clear things that in hindsight you would've done differently applying to medicine, or if this was inevitable for some reasons or another ?
If you don't have an NVQ in care at level 3, can you still apply anyways?
Reply 252
Original post by Orinincandenza
Hey, sorry to crash the thread, but i was wondering if there were any clear things that in hindsight you would've done differently applying to medicine, or if this was inevitable for some reasons or another ?

I wouldn't have applied. I would get those hours back which I spent obsessively refreshing my email. I would be able to concentrate on my A-Levels. And I wouldn't have had my hopes crushed. :frown: :emo:

My main tip is absolutely kill the UKCAT and prob the BMAT if you are applying to any BMAT unis. Plus get your personal statement done early and checked by as many ppl as you can who are able to give you feedback. Plus only apply to either PBL and integrated or integrated and traditional unis. Cuz these types of unis want diff style personal statements. Plus send your application in as early as possible. That is what I would've done differently. Good luck with your application. :smile:
Reply 254

well well well...

1st time round:

revised for bmat /ukcat

did more work experience...

worked harder at A/s

2nd time round:

taken the time out to VISIT the uni's i applied too....i put down liverpool and hated the place when i went for interview!....just wasnt my cup of tea....and it really gave me sleepless nights thinking that i could end up having to choose to go there....

Got a job that pays...right now im struggling to find one lol :frown:

hope that helps :biggrin:
Original post by . .
I wouldn't have applied. I would get those hours back which I spent obsessively refreshing my email. I would be able to concentrate on my A-Levels. And I wouldn't have had my hopes crushed. :frown: :emo:

Right, but i guess before you applied, you thought you had a realistic chance ?

Original post by handsome7654
My main tip is absolutely kill the UKCAT and prob the BMAT if you are applying to any BMAT unis. Plus get your personal statement done early and checked by as many ppl as you can who are able to give you feedback. Plus only apply to either PBL and integrated or integrated and traditional unis. Cuz these types of unis want diff style personal statements. Plus send your application in as early as possible. That is what I would've done differently. Good luck with your application. :smile:

Right, what kind of PSs do you think they want? Also where did you hear this ?

Original post by praj1
well well well...

1st time round:

revised for bmat /ukcat

did more work experience...

worked harder at A/s

2nd time round:

taken the time out to VISIT the uni's i applied too....i put down liverpool and hated the place when i went for interview!....just wasnt my cup of tea....and it really gave me sleepless nights thinking that i could end up having to choose to go there....

Got a job that pays...right now im struggling to find one lol :frown:

hope that helps :biggrin:

Yep, Thanks all for the advice
Reply 256

Not really my AS grades weren't the best although I was predicted AAA, GCSEs were mediocre and UKCAT was terrible. But it didn't stop me being optimistic. :redface:
Hopefully I'll get AAA+ in my A-Levels and a better UKCAT this time round.
Original post by . .
Not really my AS grades weren't the best although I was predicted AAA, GCSEs were mediocre and UKCAT was terrible. But it didn't stop me being optimistic. :redface:
Hopefully I'll get AAA+ in my A-Levels and a better UKCAT this time round.

Oh right, yeah good luck with that :smile:

Right, what kind of PSs do you think they want? Also where did you hear this ?

Yep, Thanks all for the advice

I heard it from an admissions tutor and students who got into medicine after I got my rejections. :frown:
If you write a very medicine related, science heavy, academic P.S and only write a really tiny bit about extra curricular activies at the end, then apply to either traditional or some integrated unis, like Imperial, UCL, cambridge, oxford, etc...
If you write your P.S with only like half medicine/science/accademic and talk about the other half about extra curricular, team work, activies that you did, charity shops, care homes etc.. Then apply to PBL heavy unis like Liverpool, Manchester etc... Or maybe even some integrated unis like st andrews etc...

In terms of work exp, talk about the medical details and what you learned and stuff for traditional unis. But don't bother with the medical details for PBL unis and just reflect on what u learned.
Original post by handsome7654
I heard it from an admissions tutor and students who got into medicine after I got my rejections. :frown:
If you write a very medicine related, science heavy, academic P.S and only write a really tiny bit about extra curricular activies at the end, then apply to either traditional or some integrated unis, like Imperial, UCL, cambridge, oxford, etc...
If you write your P.S with only like half medicine/science/accademic and talk about the other half about extra curricular, team work, activies that you did, charity shops, care homes etc.. Then apply to PBL heavy unis like Liverpool, Manchester etc... Or maybe even some integrated unis like st andrews etc...

In terms of work exp, talk about the medical details and what you learned and stuff for traditional unis. But don't bother with the medical details for PBL unis and just reflect on what u learned.

Right, Ok, that seems fairly sensible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending