The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dan (Y)
HI I'm now a worthy member of this thread haha!

I've got a Biomed offer which is AAA, and I've found out you can apply for medicine in your first year of your degree (but only to a select 10 unis).

What is people's advice/recommendendation:
* reapplying having done a gap year (with its benefits but potentially not getting anywhere and kinda messing up a year)
or
* reapplying having done first year of biomed (ofc learning about medically related stuff, getting the uni experience, but expensive and hard work BUT if I didnt get any places, I could carry on and get the degree and then apply as a graduate)

Thanks!

Hi Dan, what unis dont mind you applying whilst in the first year of Biomed?
Reply 61
Original post by Dan (Y)
HI I'm now a worthy member of this thread haha!

I've got a Biomed offer which is AAA, and I've found out you can apply for medicine in your first year of your degree (but only to a select 10 unis).

What is people's advice/recommendendation:
* reapplying having done a gap year (with its benefits but potentially not getting anywhere and kinda messing up a year)
or
* reapplying having done first year of biomed (ofc learning about medically related stuff, getting the uni experience, but expensive and hard work BUT if I didnt get any places, I could carry on and get the degree and then apply as a graduate)

Thanks!

this decision is entirely up to you....do you feel that you'll be OK with studying something other than medicine for one year?...and a potential 3?....

what happens if you have to go through graduate entry....which is much more competitive!...

which 10 uni's do this?....and what are the competition ratios?

how confident are you of getting at least 3A's?....

and are you that bothered about potentially wasting a year?....
Reply 62
Original post by Mon.MD
Hi Dan, what unis dont mind you applying whilst in the first year of Biomed?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_for_Medicine_Whilst_on_a_Different_Course

This is the thread although not all of them are confirmed for 2013 entry though Ive emailed a few unis, looks like the same so far. This would only apply if you had got AAA as you would be applying with A levels, not a degree. :smile:

Original post by praj1
this decision is entirely up to you....do you feel that you'll be OK with studying something other than medicine for one year?...and a potential 3?....

what happens if you have to go through graduate entry....which is much more competitive!...

which 10 uni's do this?....and what are the competition ratios?

how confident are you of getting at least 3A's?....

and are you that bothered about potentially wasting a year?....

I think doing Biomed for a year would be beneficial as I'd get to learn about anatomy, drug action etc, but yes GEM is my least favourite option.. But if I started the course in october and didnt get in for medicine, I spose it's not a waste of a year and I would be 1/3 through the degree.. hmm.
The 10 unis are in the link above but I'm thinking of Imperial, Newcastle, Leicester, BSMS / Southampton.. and competition ratios are the same as undergrad as Im not transfering, Im simply reapplying (although some of the unis who dont allow for this regard it as a transfer) (think of it maybe as having a gap year studying Biomed, and if I didnt get in, Id have got closer to finishing the degree)
But yeah Im just not sure cos its tricky since if I get my offer AAA (Im predicted A*A*A) I dont know If I should take up biomed (which in some ways I dont want to waste as If I end up doing GEM, this degree could be quite handy as its at UCL which MIGHT be looked upon well).
Hmm what grades did you get when reapplying; is AAA truthfully enough when school leavers are applying with loads of A* predictions?
...dilema... any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanksss :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Dan (Y)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_for_Medicine_Whilst_on_a_Different_Course

This is the thread although not all of them are confirmed for 2013 entry though Ive emailed a few unis, looks like the same so far. This would only apply if you had got AAA as you would be applying with A levels, not a degree.

I think doing Biomed for a year would be beneficial as I'd get to learn about anatomy, drug action etc, but yes GEM is my least favourite option.. But if I started the course in october and didnt get in for medicine, I spose it's not a waste of a year and I would be 1/3 through the degree.. hmm.
The 10 unis are in the link above but I'm thinking of Imperial, Newcastle, Leicester, BSMS / Southampton.. and competition ratios are the same as undergrad as Im not transfering, Im simply reapplying (although some of the unis who dont allow for this regard it as a transfer) (think of it maybe as having a gap year studying Biomed, and if I didnt get in, Id have got closer to finishing the degree)
But yeah Im just not sure cos its tricky since if I get my offer AAA (Im predicted A*A*A) I dont know If I should take up biomed (which in some ways I dont want to waste as If I end up doing GEM, this degree could be quite handy as its at UCL which MIGHT be looked upon well).
Hmm what grades did you get when reapplying; is AAA truthfully enough when school leavers are applying with loads of A* predictions?
...dilema... any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanksss :smile:

AAA is enough!....its the admissions exams that are more important EXCEPT for Barts....where AAA isnt enough....you need at least 4A's or some A*'s....

the idea is good...but your very limited as to the uni's.....how does student finance work? i remember reading somewhere that quitting a degree means you have to pay back the bursarys etc...

it does sound like a good option....but i fear that admission tutors may question your commitment to a career in medicine...and another thing you have to consider is are you comfortable with being at a uni for only 1 year and having to start all over again?...

your saying your saving a year...but you can also argue that your wasting a year sutdying a degree you dont want only to be in the same position as school leavers when your start your first year....which yes will help you since you have SOME prior knowledge BUT midway thtough the course you'll all end up the same...

swings a n roundabouts ....
Reply 64
Original post by praj1
AAA is enough!....its the admissions exams that are more important EXCEPT for Barts....where AAA isnt enough....you need at least 4A's or some A*'s....

the idea is good...but your very limited as to the uni's.....how does student finance work? i remember reading somewhere that quitting a degree means you have to pay back the bursarys etc...

it does sound like a good option....but i fear that admission tutors may question your commitment to a career in medicine...and another thing you have to consider is are you comfortable with being at a uni for only 1 year and having to start all over again?...

your saying your saving a year...but you can also argue that your wasting a year sutdying a degree you dont want only to be in the same position as school leavers when your start your first year....which yes will help you since you have SOME prior knowledge BUT midway thtough the course you'll all end up the same...

swings a n roundabouts ....

Thanks for all your thoughts btw, its great to have other people's opinions on this looking at it from a different view..!

hmmm tho I spose you could say better grades obviously wouldnt be looked on disfavourably.. but that's reassuring to know as though I can still theoretically get 3 A*s after jan modules, I reckon I'll only be able to get AAA or maybe maybe A*AA...

In terms of student finance, you are allowed ONE 'false start' (lasting a year)and can get financed if you apply within a year, so this option would thankfully be fine.

I think Id be happy getting to experience student life at two unis; I see this as a bonus :biggrin:

But yes I have to say the biggest draw back to this way of applying is the limited choice of unis..... However I reckon I know roughly which 4 I'd choose; Ive whittled it down to 6/5/4... thats including southampton though and after seeing many great people getting rejected from there I have no idea what theyre looking for!!!! :s-smilie:

Yeah the wasting a year argument can be spun both ways I agree.. Though I spose I was looking at it from the perspective of if I didnt get a place next year, Id be better off having starting the Biomed course rather than having nothing.

Its interesting you said 'i fear that admission tutors may question your commitment to a career in medicine' ; this is what some of the unis say who dont accept it, however I think it'd be ok since the unis which do accept it dont look at the situation in this way. In my eyes though, I think I'm showing commitment to getting in as I told UCL in their questionairre that Id use the degree for furthering an application into medicine, and I'll be spending the year learning about things very relevant to medicine (as well as having maybe got w/e + volunteering this summer in time for october), but yeah..

haha I feel as if I'm talking myself into what might be a decision here.... but your advice is SO helpful thanksss :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Dan (Y)
Thanks for all your thoughts btw, its great to have other people's opinions on this looking at it from a different view..!

hmmm tho I spose you could say better grades obviously wouldnt be looked on disfavourably.. but that's reassuring to know as though I can still theoretically get 3 A*s after jan modules, I reckon I'll only be able to get AAA or maybe maybe A*AA...

In terms of student finance, you are allowed ONE 'false start' (lasting a year)and can get financed if you apply within a year, so this option would thankfully be fine.

I think Id be happy getting to experience student life at two unis; I see this as a bonus :biggrin:

But yes I have to say the biggest draw back to this way of applying is the limited choice of unis..... However I reckon I know roughly which 4 I'd choose; Ive whittled it down to 6/5/4... thats including southampton though and after seeing many great people getting rejected from there I have no idea what theyre looking for!!!! :s-smilie:

Yeah the wasting a year argument can be spun both ways I agree.. Though I spose I was looking at it from the perspective of if I didnt get a place next year, Id be better off having starting the Biomed course rather than having nothing.

Its interesting you said 'i fear that admission tutors may question your commitment to a career in medicine' ; this is what some of the unis say who dont accept it, however I think it'd be ok since the unis which do accept it dont look at the situation in this way. In my eyes though, I think I'm showing commitment to getting in as I told UCL in their questionairre that Id use the degree for furthering an application into medicine, and I'll be spending the year learning about things very relevant to medicine (as well as having maybe got w/e + volunteering this summer in time for october), but yeah..

haha I feel as if I'm talking myself into what might be a decision here.... but your advice is SO helpful thanksss :biggrin:

you sound like you have researched this well....i would say go for it...
Reply 66
Ahh and officially watching this thread now. Got rejected from my last uni today. My plan is to firstly get my grades!!!! I am already trying to plan my gap year now. Need to make a CV, get emailing to some volunteering places and of course get more experience. I loved my work experience last year :smile:. I just really want to know, should you have a paragraph in your personal statement stating what you are going to do in your gap year and how detailed should it be? Thank you!!
Reply 67
Hey guys. I'm a successful medicine reapplicant (as of today) just posting to say hello and good luck. My gap year wasn't well planned as it was last minute decision after results day but I'll try and be as helpful as I can. :biggrin:
Reply 68
Original post by Medican
Hey guys. I'm a successful medicine reapplicant (as of today) just posting to say hello and good luck. My gap year wasn't well planned as it was last minute decision after results day but I'll try and be as helpful as I can. :biggrin:

Congratulations, must be such an amazing feeling! Can I ask what you did during your gap year? And how do you think you improved from the first time you applied?
Reply 69
Yep, my last chance went.... today.

How is everyone doing?

I know you should apply tactically, anybody have any idea of what the universities are looking for exactly?
E.g Cambridge: UMS, BMAT, Interview.
Birmingham: minimum 8 A*s
Keele: not so much on grades..
etc...

Lets make a list of what universities look for so everyone can use it to select their medical schools :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by Dr.Acula
Congratulations, must be such an amazing feeling! Can I ask what you did during your gap year? And how do you think you improved from the first time you applied?

Yes it is. Indescribable. I woke up this morning double checking track just to make sure it wasn't a dream. Haha.

My gap year was very last minute so mine might not have been as good as other peoples. Since September I've been a ward volunteer at a hospital feeding patients during lunch times and just being supportive of them and their families. I was faced with such difficult situations from patients trying to run out the hospital to patients dying leaving loved ones in tears. I had one guy who came back to the hospital after his mum died (at 98 years old) to say thank you to all us volunteers for our support. It was a highlight of my year. I volunteered for about 3/4 times a week only up until December where I changed to twice a week because that's when I started work.

As for work I tried everything, I worked in telecommunications, to fast food to retail because the job market is so tough right now it's hard for anyone. Up until your gap year, your competition has always been 17/18 year olds. In the job market you'll be up against people a lot older than you (on of my colleagues is 44). PM me if you want advice on getting a job or just quote me here and I'll try my best.

I'd also like to say that at some point in your gap year, especially if you come from a poorer background, you me end up on the doll. This might be for a month or it might be for 6. But please let me reassure you. Don't be disheartened by this because (if this is the case for you) YOU AREN'T ALONE. I claimed JSA for about a month as have other gap year medics. It's your right to do so but just make sure you are looking for work!

Right now I'm working in retail and have been for little less than 2 months. I like it but I plan on leaving in about two months as I will be going to Kenya for a bit then I might be off to Costa Rica to volunteer at an Orphanage.

If I were to change anything (aside from my lack of organisation) I would have done more WE because my understanding of the NHS and life as a doctor changed considerably during my gap year so I would get to see things in a new light.

I feel like I've changed quite a bit. I've had a taste of the real world and it's made my a lot more confident and independent and I think that shone through my interviews. It's made me stand out more than the first time, nervous-as-hell applicants. I think what med schools like about gappers is the level of maturity and understanding of how the real world works. I'll be honest. There were times when my gap year was incredibly stressful but that's only made me stronger and more confident!

So good luck. Hope this helped and quote, pm if you need more advice. I'll try my best.
Reply 71
Original post by leezee
Yep, my last chance went.... today.

How is everyone doing?

I know you should apply tactically, anybody have any idea of what the universities are looking for exactly?
E.g Cambridge: UMS, BMAT, Interview.
Birmingham: minimum 8 A*s
Keele: not so much on grades..
etc...

Lets make a list of what universities look for so everyone can use it to select their medical schools :smile:

I think this is a good idea.

I know that Manchester like you to have a good UKCAT and they also specify that you need to have done some long-term volunteering. They're not too fussed about GCSEs. At least seven subjects are required at grade C or above; at least five must be at A or A*. English Language and Mathematics are required at GCSE minimum grade B.

Best of luck with your gap year. :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by Dr.Acula
I think this is a good idea.

I know that Manchester like you to have a good UKCAT and they also specify that you need to have done some long-term volunteering. They're not too fussed about GCSEs. At least seven subjects are required at grade C or above; at least five must be at A or A*. English Language and Mathematics are required at GCSE minimum grade B.

Best of luck with your gap year. :smile:

Good idea, I would say after applying and getting rejected post interview at Nottingham that seriously you get your offer on how you preform in those vital 15 minutes of interview. Like forget about everything else and sell yourself - something I totally did not do. I was too fixated with the actual question to remember that what is more important is to show them me, the person behind the personal statement. I learned alot from my major flop :tongue: and hopefully will do better.

On a side note, planning my gap year really feels like going back to square one. Not that it is a bad thing, atleast I got better experience now =). How is everyone's planning coming along?
Reply 73
Original post by Medican
Yes it is. Indescribable. I woke up this morning double checking track just to make sure it wasn't a dream. Haha.

My gap year was very last minute so mine might not have been as good as other peoples. Since September I've been a ward volunteer at a hospital feeding patients during lunch times and just being supportive of them and their families. I was faced with such difficult situations from patients trying to run out the hospital to patients dying leaving loved ones in tears. I had one guy who came back to the hospital after his mum died (at 98 years old) to say thank you to all us volunteers for our support. It was a highlight of my year. I volunteered for about 3/4 times a week only up until December where I changed to twice a week because that's when I started work.

As for work I tried everything, I worked in telecommunications, to fast food to retail because the job market is so tough right now it's hard for anyone. Up until your gap year, your competition has always been 17/18 year olds. In the job market you'll be up against people a lot older than you (on of my colleagues is 44). PM me if you want advice on getting a job or just quote me here and I'll try my best.

I'd also like to say that at some point in your gap year, especially if you come from a poorer background, you me end up on the doll. This might be for a month or it might be for 6. But please let me reassure you. Don't be disheartened by this because (if this is the case for you) YOU AREN'T ALONE. I claimed JSA for about a month as have other gap year medics. It's your right to do so but just make sure you are looking for work!

Right now I'm working in retail and have been for little less than 2 months. I like it but I plan on leaving in about two months as I will be going to Kenya for a bit then I might be off to Costa Rica to volunteer at an Orphanage.

If I were to change anything (aside from my lack of organisation) I would have done more WE because my understanding of the NHS and life as a doctor changed considerably during my gap year so I would get to see things in a new light.

I feel like I've changed quite a bit. I've had a taste of the real world and it's made my a lot more confident and independent and I think that shone through my interviews. It's made me stand out more than the first time, nervous-as-hell applicants. I think what med schools like about gappers is the level of maturity and understanding of how the real world works. I'll be honest. There were times when my gap year was incredibly stressful but that's only made me stronger and more confident!

So good luck. Hope this helped and quote, pm if you need more advice. I'll try my best.

Hey, thankkk you ever so much for instilling some hope :wink:. Well done man!!!!! Ah yes, I have a question. In your personal statement, did you dedicate a paragraph explaining what you are going to be doing in your gap year? I looked at my personal statement today and Lord have mercy aha! It is really awkward :ahee: , amazing what hindsight does. Thank you =)
Reply 74
Going to unofficially join since I've been rejected from all of my universities except for Leeds which is looking like a rejection preinterview.
I'll be reapplying, not from a rejection last cycle or anything but as a graduate where I was rejected in the 2010 cycle after my A levels.

Can't believe how quick my biomed degree is coming to an end, and how soon it'll be till I reapply for medicine.
Reply 76
Sadly (sorry haha) I will be joining you guys unless a miracle happens and I get a place off of the BSMS pre-interview waiting list. Let's just make the most of it.
Reply 77
Original post by Waterstorm
I'll be reapplying, not from a rejection last cycle or anything but as a graduate where I was rejected in the 2010 cycle after my A levels.

Can't believe how quick my biomed degree is coming to an end, and how soon it'll be till I reapply for medicine.

I actually remember you from the BM6 thread in '10. I first applied in '11 but I read through that thread. How mad is that?
Original post by Medican
I actually remember you from the BM6 thread in '10. I first applied in '11 but I read through that thread. How mad is that?

Haha, I remember applying there like it was yesterday. Did you get in?
Reply 79
Original post by Waterstorm
Haha, I remember applying there like it was yesterday. Did you get in?

Nope. Rejected after interview. Oh well. Good luck next year! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending