The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I remember coming on this thread this time last year, I remember the feeling of 4 rejections this time last year, and I remember how hopeless I felt this time last year. A year later, it's all changed. Wish you guys the very best of luck for UCAS 2012/2013, and remember, if you really want to study medicine, you will get in. :smile:

Feel free to quote and/or PM me as I'll be glad to help.
Thanks for that Panda89 :h:

Just wondering, I've already applied for volunteering at 2 hospitals but I only want to volunteer at one. Thing is, applications for these volunteering posts are high, that's why I applied for 2.

If I ditch one, and focus on applying to one hospital, then what are my chances. Is it really that competitive to get volunteering coz the email made it out to be :erm:
Reply 122
Ok been rejected from everywhere now. So I can officially join here. UCAS 2013 here I come!!!
Original post by Lamba
Ok been rejected from everywhere now. So I can officially join here. UCAS 2013 here I come!!!

Sorry to hear that. What's the story with the grades/places you applied to?
Reply 124
Original post by ameelia22
Sorry to hear that. What's the story with the grades/places you applied to?

3A*s, 2As 2Bs + 2 Distinctions (ICT and Business Intermediate GNVQ)
Achieved ABB (Maths, Chem, Bio) was a few marks off an A for chem
670 ukcat
Doing science degree and predicted 2.1

2 post interview rejections - Manc and Aberdeen
2 pre interview rejections - HYMS and Leeds
Original post by Lamba
3A*s, 2As 2Bs + 2 Distinctions (ICT and Business Intermediate GNVQ)
Achieved ABB (Maths, Chem, Bio) was a few marks off an A for chem
670 ukcat
Doing science degree and predicted 2.1

2 post interview rejections - Manc and Aberdeen
2 pre interview rejections - HYMS and Leeds

Manchester and HYMS seem like very decent choices for you what with those GCSE's, and that UKCAT is more then decent. I can only speak for Undergrads of course, and am unsure on Aberdeens requirements. Leeds seems like a less-obvious choice though - why them?

I think quite possibly your PS is an area for improvement (have you seen what Leeds look for in a PS? They're quite specific, and perhaps you lacked in such an area?) and since 2 rejections were post-interview, your interview technique may not have been brilliant...how do you think these went?

Sorry to quiz you, but I do love a general natter with medprospectives.
Original post by areyousure?
Best of luck to all those of you reapplying next year :smile:

Thank you :biggrin: and I read your blog! Well done! =]
Reply 127
Original post by ameelia22
Manchester and HYMS seem like very decent choices for you what with those GCSE's, and that UKCAT is more then decent. I can only speak for Undergrads of course, and am unsure on Aberdeens requirements. Leeds seems like a less-obvious choice though - why them?

I think quite possibly your PS is an area for improvement (have you seen what Leeds look for in a PS? They're quite specific, and perhaps you lacked in such an area?) and since 2 rejections were post-interview, your interview technique may not have been brilliant...how do you think these went?

Sorry to quiz you, but I do love a general natter with medprospectives.

Everywhere I apply was tailored towards my stats however HYMS seem to change their criteria mid cycle. From what I can tell they only gave interviews to everyone I know with a first prediction instead of a 2:1 like they said before 15th October.

I applied to Leeds since I had a shot with my stats as well but it was a risk since I didn't have a UKCAT over 700 or have an attained degree grade. I figured I might as well take the risk since I felt I had a strong application to get interviews from at least HYMS or Aberdeen and maybe Manchester.

I did get interviews and I definitely know that my interview technique was not good so that will need improving during this year.

No worries and I think we will probably be nattering on here a lot haha.

Now then how about you? Stats? Interviews?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lamba
Everywhere I apply was tailored towards my stats however HYMS seem to change their criteria mid cycle. From what I can tell they only gave interviews to everyone I know with a first prediction instead of a 2:1 like they said before 15th October.

I applied to Leeds since I had a shot with my stats as well but it was a risk since I didn't have a UKCAT over 700 or have an attained degree grade. I figured I might as well take the risk since I felt I had a strong application to get interviews from at least HYMS or Aberdeen and maybe Manchester.

I did get interviews and I definitely know that my interview technique was not good so that will need improving during this year.

No worries and I think we will probably be nattering on here a lot haha.

Now then how about you? Stats? Interviews?

Ah fair enough - at least you know where to improve, and that the admissions aren't taking one look at your application and chucking it.

This is where you lose out :P i'm a year 12, so whilst i'm applying for 2013 entry, i'm not re-applicant, but I do a general stalk :tongue: grades and all that are on the ol' profile, so help yourself there. Cheeky me, I know! :spank:
Reply 129
I am going to be a graduate in the summer, I am also gonna be a 2013 reapplicant.Feeling pretty down about it as it can take an emotional toll on you. I am going to be staying in the same city , i really dont want to cuz it is hard emotionally as most of my friends will be gone and it is heart wrenching wen people ask me what ime gonna do after grad sighs... I am going to do evrything i can to improve my ukcat score but finding it hard to focus on my degree at the moment :frown:
Reply 130
Original post by This Honest
Thanks for that Panda89 :h:

Just wondering, I've already applied for volunteering at 2 hospitals but I only want to volunteer at one. Thing is, applications for these volunteering posts are high, that's why I applied for 2.

If I ditch one, and focus on applying to one hospital, then what are my chances. Is it really that competitive to get volunteering coz the email made it out to be :erm:

If it’s competitive as it sounds then I’d definitely apply to both, as you can’t guarantee a placement. What kind of volunteering are you applying to? Personally, I volunteered in a couple of care homes and in a befriending scheme to improve my interpersonal skills. Those placements weren't really competitive as they usually welcome volunteers - all I had to do was go through CRB checks and fill-in a few documents. Hospital wise, I shadowed a few consultants to gain work experience, and they were slightly harder to organise.
Original post by Panda89
If it’s competitive as it sounds then I’d definitely apply to both, as you can’t guarantee a placement. What kind of volunteering are you applying to? Personally, I volunteered in a couple of care homes and in a befriending scheme to improve my interpersonal skills. Those placements weren't really competitive as they usually welcome volunteers - all I had to do was go through CRB checks and fill-in a few documents. Hospital wise, I shadowed a few consultants to gain work experience, and they were slightly harder to organise.

Hey,
I'm interested in ward based volunteering and welcoming newcomers e.g when they get lost, perhaps in the library too

To volunteer in a care home, is it simple to just phone them up and ask for volunteering . How long did it take for yours to be fully organised?
Reply 132
Original post by Panda89
x

Did you have a job in your gap year? Also, is it that important to have a health care related job? (I suppose any job has skills that are useful for a doctor). I'm asking because I've been trying to find HCA/care assistant jobs. I can't find any :emo:
I didn't get any offers this time round, so looks like I'll be applying again :frown:
Original post by sablarrr
Did you have a job in your gap year? Also, is it that important to have a health care related job? (I suppose any job has skills that are useful for a doctor). I'm asking because I've been trying to find HCA/care assistant jobs. I can't find any :emo:

Keep looking my friend. Whereabouts do you live?

I'm in London and I see a fair pool of hca/phlebs jobs about but I can't apply to them now since I'm still at school and can't work/start induction soon :erm:
Rejected from everywhere, so I'm reapplying too :smile:
Reply 136
There's a fair few HCA jobs available in my area, but I don't want to apply right now because I'm trying to focus on A-Levels. I just have this feeling, though, that when I actually start properly looking, there'll be no job vacancies. :/
Reply 137
Hey,
I'm interested in ward based volunteering and welcoming newcomers e.g when they get lost, perhaps in the library too

To volunteer in a care home, is it simple to just phone them up and ask for volunteering . How long did it take for yours to be fully organised?

Ah, I see - that volunteering where you welcome newcomers sounds quite interesting. To be honest, I think any volunteering that involves people is sufficient as it'd improve your interpersonal skills and would ultimately help in your future medical career, that's what the medical admissions' teams would like to see.

Yeah, you could phone, email or visit them, up to you. For me, I emailed because I could actually write a mini-personal statement saying why I want to do the volunteering, etc, making them feel that you're particularly interested and won't quit immediately. Depending on the volunteering, the care home one took a month to process, while my befriending scheme took almost a year due to attending additional training (was worth every second, imo).

Original post by sablarrr

I am working as a full-time HCA in my gap year. I know it's not easy (which was why I applied to 40+ posts and only got 2 interviews and offers) but just keep trying. I know a couple of friends who hadn't secured any NHS jobs but still managed to write their personal statements and got in!

I'd say other jobs are fine as long as they involve dealing with people, but I'd definitely keep trying for a healthcare-related one first; afterall, you'd be working in such environment in the future.
Reply 138
x

I don't live in London :tongue:

Original post by Panda89

x

Thanks. I'm looking into volunteering at a charity shop and care home. Heck, maybe even as a mentor to kids so I can work as a classroom assistant. Just anything to do with people and communication skills! :lol:
Reply 139
Having a hard time concentrating on my degree ! I feel a quite anxious and that ime a failure sighss ... this iz really taking a toll on my self esteem , any advice any1??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending