Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

sometimes I get the most horrible thoughts

Announcements Posted on

About a year and a half ago, I had these thoughts about hurting someone really badly. Before I start, I would never hurt anyone in any sort of way as I'm far too gentle. I don't whether it's caused by stress or anxiety as I do tend to get pretty worried about stuff. But recently it's come back again, these thoughts and they keep on occupying my thoughts. I don't know what to do as I keep on getting really scared and I think that I'm the only one with these thoughts. Please help
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this someone in particular or just anyone? I won't pretend to be an expert on these things but I know keeping this in-side is going to make it worse, you need to let it out, well not in a violent manner unless you want to get a punching bag or something, but by talking about it or um in a physical way to get any pent up frustration or anxiety out, like running perhaps? How bad are these thoughts? Are they just like oh I want to hit someone or.... you don't have to answer that, in fact you can ignore me, i'm not an expert but I do hope you get past this.

No, I think that's good advice I don't want to say in particular but they're usually about people really close to me. I think it's because I would never do anything, the thoughts come into my head and scare me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes that would scare me too. I'm glad I've helped in a way. If you're not comfortable and I don't blame you with telling your friends how you feel you should at least tell someone. Its good that you know your self well and you know what you are not capable off, keep reminding yourself of that. You would never do it.

I don't get them constant as such, but for example a local 17 year old died suddenly and I just had the thought of writing "Good night, Sweet Prince" on his Facebook memorial page. I found the thought so amusing.. I did shed a few tears because I was sad he died though. They're just really sick thoughts that I find funny

Same, sometimes I have the urge to chuck the knives in the kitchen at someone (well, my parents) - it makes me worry for my mental health sometimes...

Whenever I walk down the street I get told to hit old women. It's really really horrible. I'd never hurt anyone but then there's this command to randomly beat up old grannies and I have no idea why. I'm bigger and stronger than them and easily could, but obviously I wouldn't.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've experienced this too. I'm one of those people that feels bad if they step on a slug so it wasn't in my nature. Generally it was when I was feeling really down, I'd see someone with a stupid look on their face or someone would bump into me and in would flood these thought about killing them and generally being really violent - I never carried it out of course and I don't think I could have if I had to. When I recovered I didn't experience it again. I think it is just pent up anger that is released on to people.

Go and talk to a health professional and sort out the problem behind it first of all, I can bet the thoughts will go away. I know it's scary, I thought I was turning into some sort of budding serial killer!

(Original post by llessur123)
    I've experienced this too. I'm one of those people that feels bad if they step on a slug so it wasn't in my nature. Generally it was when I was feeling really down, I'd see someone with a stupid look on their face or someone would bump into me and in would flood these thought about killing them and generally being really violent - I never carried it out of course and I don't think I could have if I had to. When I recovered I didn't experience it again. I think it is just pent up anger that is released on to people.

Go and talk to a health professional and sort out the problem behind it first of all, I can bet the thoughts will go away. I know it's scary, I thought I was turning into some sort of budding serial killer!
    Thankyou so much for that post. It's so scary and i'm one of those people who would never hurt a fly and I find it pretty much impossible not to be nice to people but these catastrophic thoughts come into my head, I'm year 12 so it's alot of work plus it's coming up.to exam period so that could contribute in some way.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 6, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.