The Student Room Group

A-Levels question

Hi, new to the site.

Ive decided that I'd like to go to university, and in turn have chosen the A-levels route over the access course. From what I can gather, particularly with the universities I will be looking to apply to and the courses, I will need to study traditional subjects.

Im looking to study Maths and Chemistry, however, the college i will be studying at only provides one other traditional subject which is English, and its not something that i'd ideally like to study.

I'd like to know from personal opinions, whether universities would still accept two traditional subjects, and a third in either business studies, accounting or history?
Original post by MatureStudent24
Hi, new to the site.

Ive decided that I'd like to go to university, and in turn have chosen the A-levels route over the access course. From what I can gather, particularly with the universities I will be looking to apply to and the courses, I will need to study traditional subjects.

Im looking to study Maths and Chemistry, however, the college i will be studying at only provides one other traditional subject which is English, and its not something that i'd ideally like to study.

I'd like to know from personal opinions, whether universities would still accept two traditional subjects, and a third in either business studies, accounting or history?

History is as traditional as it gets and I suspect (having resisted the urge to google) predates English as a university subject, of course divinity being the Adam of all degrees.

Whether a combination three traditional A levels in Mathematics, Chemistry and (English or History) are of any use in the application process depends upon your intended degree subject and target institution. But in an extracurricular capacity they would certainly demonstrate versatility and breadth.

What other non traditional subjects, other than history :confused: ,are on offer.
Thanks for the reply, and sorry, I was unsure as to whether History was a traditional subject or not.

Im looking at applying to universities such as LSE, Kings College, UCL, Imperial. Preferably universities situated in London.

I left school with high grades in my GCSE's, but never went onto to higher education, choosing an apprenticeship instead, which looking back was probably not the right decision. So decided its better late than never, although im only 24.
Original post by MatureStudent24
Thanks for the reply, and sorry, I was unsure as to whether History was a traditional subject or not.

Im looking at applying to universities such as LSE, Kings College, UCL, Imperial. Preferably universities situated in London.

I left school with high grades in my GCSE's, but never went onto to higher education, choosing an apprenticeship instead, which looking back was probably not the right decision. So decided its better late than never, although im only 24.

The combination will be fine as such. But for each course, at each Uni, you will need to check whether Mathematics and Chemistry and one other non science subject meets the mandatory subject requirements, assuming your looking at science degrees. For other areas English, History and one of maths or chem would be a stronger combination, maths having the edge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending