The Student Room Group

The Kony 2012 Campaign

Scroll to see replies

Spread it, and spread it good!!!
Reply 41
I'm sorry, I understand why people are spreading this, but I haven't looked too much into it so I can't really comment on the positives/negatives....

BUT

what I don't get is how so many people (seems like all of our generation today) are/were so against the invasion of Iraq (to get rid of Saddam, a far more brutal man who killed a crazy amount and really hurt his country in economic/environmental terms etc.) yet are so for the killing of this guy? It just doesn't make sense to me....or am I missing something? If I am, tell me :tongue:
Original post by fnm
I'm sorry, I understand why people are spreading this, but I haven't looked too much into it so I can't really comment on the positives/negatives....

BUT

what I don't get is how so many people (seems like all of our generation today) are/were so against the invasion of Iraq (to get rid of Saddam, a far more brutal man who killed a crazy amount and really hurt his country in economic/environmental terms etc.) yet are so for the killing of this guy? It just doesn't make sense to me....or am I missing something? If I am, tell me :tongue:

Can't be bothered to go into a long explanation, but this is not advocating his death / an invasion of Uganda. This guy is a lone agent effectively - not politically affiliated with anything. 10:45 - 13:00 on the video summarises it all well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc
Original post by fun_fun
Where is the event happening? Can you give me more info on it please, i was wondering if anything was happening here.

Events are happening up and down the UK, a quick search on facebook or twitter should give you a few results!

For London:

I'll call these the 'official' groups as they are the largest & original ones, these are all inter-linked so like and join all three to keep yourself updated!

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/kony2012london
Event page: http://www.facebook.com/events/255423667876325/
Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/286152148122965/
Reply 44
I'ts incredible how fast Kony's name is spreading. The name is all over everything - it seems like every video I view on Youtube now has "Kony 2012" as its top comment. It's gonna be almost impossible soon for a young person to not have heard the name "Kony".
Original post by purplefrog
Can't be bothered to go into a long explanation, but this is not advocating his death / an invasion of Uganda. This guy is a lone agent effectively - not politically affiliated with anything. 10:45 - 13:00 on the video summarises it all well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

Yeah exactly, it's not advocating his death/ an invasion of Uganda, just that he be captured and put on trial I guess? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Please spread the word everyone, it's so important! One of the most profound and important videos I've seen in a while. Thanks
It kind of annoys me how they're turning something important into a fashionable internet thing. Yeah sure it's a nice idea but that's how it comes across. Although granted Id never even heard of this Kony dude before this whole thing and I hope something comes from it.
(edited 12 years ago)
can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. if you don't want to pay, fair enough, just share the video. show your friends what they should already know; that this boy is evil and that he needs to be recognised as such and brought to justice.

i don't post much serious stuff on here, but please, guys, this is something that needs done.

the fact i had the charity who is trying to spread the word about this come to my school 5 years ago and 5 years later kony is still allowed to be, well, kony, just disgusts me more than anything. please spread the word.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Guy Secretan
It kind of annoys me how they're turning something important into a fashionable internet thing. Yeah sure it's a nice idea but that's how it comes across. Although granted Id never even heard of this Kony dude before this whole thing and I hope something comes from it.

fashionable? get a grip, seriously.
Original post by Mufasaa
I'm all for KONY2012 and think it's a great thing, but Obama and Bush both oversaw/oversee things that are as bad happening in Afghanistan, and did in Iraq. Should they be arrested too? Both Kony and those are fighting for similar reasons.

Kony:
forced kids to kill their own parents
takes girls as sex slaves
encourages his soldiers to repeatedly rape and brutalize women and young girls
forces boys to kill and mutilate people (kill or be killed)
chops off limbs and uses other means of torture in order to get the boys to do as they're told

I'm sure several soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan have raped the women living there, but other than that there are no similarities (not to demean the atrocity that is rape during war...rape no matter if it's against your "enemy" is disgusting). Shame on you for comparing the two. Kony encourages these actions through force. Bush and Obama do not, not even the rapes. I repeat, shame on you for saying they are one in the same. You are demeaning what the child soldiers and child sex slaves are going through by comparing them to what's going on in the Middle East.

"Both Kony and those are fighting for similar reasons". Excuse me? They said in the video Kony is fighting just to fight and keep a stronghold over the parts of Africa he's ravaged. How on earth is that the same as the reasons (legitimate or otherwise) for the wars in the Middle East right now?
Original post by Infallible
I didn't feel anything watching the video. It felt like they were massively overstating their importance and the importance of what they're doing. Yeah, sure, it was a well-made film but that doesn't sway me. The video also showed clear indoctrination of a child, yet he complained about the 'propaganda' we see each day.

Also, did anyone else get the feeling that they were more of a cult than an action group? I mean, they have their own symbol, name and show of unity. Furthermore, did the narrator have the audacity to imply that the world didn't do enough to stop Hitler? Because from where I was sat, it did.

PLEASE just do us all a favour and lock yourself up in a room. And don't ever ever ever come out.
Thanks.
Reply 51
I shared the video, and it was shocking I admit. I had no idea WHO Joseph Kony was, never mind what he had done.

I really hope the whole situation is sorted, however I know that we will get bogged down in red tape and politics, Britain's leaders will never get involved in something in Africa, so from this side of the pond there doesn't seem to be much we can do...

No amount of pressure from our side will convince the government to provide assistance, we have Syria to deal with first, which is splashed all over our media (and with good reason)
I think petitioning the government on the issue of the Kony 2012 campaign could be a great idea to raise awareness and somehow contribute to arrest of this evil man.

I'm not too sure what the government could actually do though. So what do we need to include in a petition?

I think realistically, collecting 100,000 signatures won't be a problem, in the last 8 hours I've seen a Facebook page promoting this increase by over 1000 people.

I've already searched the e-petitions site and there's nothing about the Kony 2012 campaign.

So any ideas for a petition people?

Let's try and make a difference.
Reply 53
Original post by IndianDancer
PLEASE just do us all a favour and lock yourself up in a room. And don't ever ever ever come out.
Thanks.

Why? Because I happen to have a different opinion to you? Yeah, sure, what he has done is a terrible crime against humanity - nobody is denying that. I just thought that the video was lacking in content. If you can't see pure propaganda when you see it, then I pity you.
Reply 54
Awareness needs to be raised within our population.
Love how we want the US to efficiently, lawfully and humanely get a job done in another country. Because history has shown they're experts at that...
Original post by lukas1051
While I agree that these is evil and needs to be stopped, the cold reality is that this sort of thing is happening all across Africa, and people turn a,blind eye because it doesn't concern them. Creating this huge worldwide manhunt may help to track down this one man, but after that has happened we'll all give ourselves a pat on the back and carry on with our lives as if Africa has been saved. While I think this is a good campaign, the responses to it really show just how ignorant Americans (no, everyone) is in regards to what really happens, and the reasons are media censorship, nobody wants to get involved so these crimes go unreported. I hope we will start to see a big change, but unfortunately I doubt it will happen, what's more likely is people will watch this video, retweet it and then go back to living in their decadent bubble.

He is the world's most wanted man. I would hope that after capturing and arresting him, we would go on to finding the next most wanted person and so on and so forth until the list had been completed. Did you not see the bit about the Hague? That section would suggest to me that it would be a continuous process, does it not to you? If not, why not? :smile:
Watched the video and whilst its clearly terrible what is and has been happening I feel like I've just watched an extended advert for facebook timeline.
Original post by racheatworld
In response to your question, are the US Government doing enough? I think that it is really easy to criticise the U.S. Government here, with the fact that they ignored the issue for 8 years until they eventually sent 100 soldiers to Uganda. However, the U.S. Government operate with the interests of the U.S. at the forefront of their minds, and 8 years ago when Invisible Children had just started campaigning against Kony, only a very small minority of people knew about him, which is why the Government did nothing. I'm not saying that is right at all, if anything a country with such an enormous world influence should have acted earlier. But at least the U.S. have listened and have made some effort to send soldiers. Now people need to help by giving the government support to send more than the 100 U.S. soldiers that are currently in Uganda.

But I think this campaign video is going the right way about making a difference - they realise that if government's are going to act to arrest Kony, then they need the backing of the people. Support from the people can only come about once people are made aware of the nature of Kony's crimes.

The U.S can't win, if they had sent in troops earlier, they would be branded as imperialists, if they don't send in troops, they are branded as cowards.
Original post by Mufasaa
Inform me then. Over a million Afghan deaths (mostly civilians), a lot of rape, a lot of torture, and the Americans have got away largely scot-free. It's hardly a rosy picture.

What the **** are you talking about?

Afghanistan deaths = 15,000 civilian deaths and 40,000 deaths from taliban and insurgents

Iraq deaths = 110,000 http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

That's pretty good considering the population of Afghanistan is nearing 30 Million (same population as Iraq). And do you realize that the Taliban (pre-invasion) themselves have killed thousands of civilians directly? As well as indirectly killing thousands more of civilians by denying UN to give food to the starving population?

And there wasn't a lot of rape or a lot of torture. There was some rape and torture and they were dealt with by the US and not much evidence to suggest it was something condoned by the US government.And you do realize that Sadam himself used to torture prisoners? As well as commit genocide against 15,000 Kurds* in 1988 then killed around 180,000* between 1986-1989 and then again killed around 150,00 in 1991 when there was a rebellion? How do you think he would react against a Arab Spring in his country? Most likely kill all thousands of more just like Assad is doing but probably in a much more brutal way. So in the space of 5 years (1986-1991) he was able to killed around 300,000+.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_uprisings_in_Iraq http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Anfal_Campaign http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halabja_poison_gas_attack

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending