The Student Room Group

How to sing in tune? I can't tell whether I'm singing in tune.

I love singing to myself, and only to myself because I'm really embarrassed. Part of this embarrassment comes from singing catchy songs in a group of people and being told I'm really out of tune.

Thing is, I don't know if I'm out of tune. I don't know how close to the tune I am and I don't know how to get in that tone.

Any help?
Reply 1
We can only help if you overcome your embarrassment and post a clip or something.
Reply 2
Original post by SuziieB
We can only help if you overcome your embarrassment and post a clip or something.

I actually would not mind that but I don't have a microphone.

How do people tell if they're singing in tune and how can I tell? In any song. I'm sure people can still give general advice?
Original post by lemonade12345
I actually would not mind that but I don't have a microphone.

How do people tell if they're singing in tune and how can I tell? In any song. I'm sure people can still give general advice?

Maybe you could try singing with the audio and then trying without it (in little chunks if you want) and then you'll get used to the pitch and tune so you'll be more accurate :h:
Reply 4
do you have a recording function on your phone, iphone mp3? Start from there...little steps...
Reply 5
Original post by TheGirlNextDoor
Maybe you could try singing with the audio and then trying without it (in little chunks if you want) and then you'll get used to the pitch and tune so you'll be more accurate :h:

But even then, I can't judge whether it has the same tune or pitch. I can't tell this. Am I just impossibly tone deaf? Even watching other people sing, I can't tell, so it's even worse with myself when I'm out of tune and I can't even tell.
But even then, I can't judge whether it has the same tune or pitch. I can't tell this. Am I just impossibly tone deaf? Even watching other people sing, I can't tell, so it's even worse with myself when I'm out of tune and I can't even tell.

I doubt that you're completely tone deaf, but you may have a bit of difficulty picking up the tune. Just practise more; if you're constantly singing to yourself then you'll develop it :yep: When I sing, sometimes I take the song and if it's too high or too low, I'll change the pitch to suit my vocals more. Try recording yourself and playing it then listening to the song to see where you're going wrong and then you can determine whether you need to go higher or lower and so on.
Reply 7

I'm like this too. Once I was in a music lesson at school with the scariest teacher ever. We were singing and she said someone was out of tune, then made us- one by one- sing in "the A key". I was bricking it! I had no idea what key that was, or how to imitate it! Luckily she got fed up before she got to me. I don't think I'm tone deaf, but then again I'm not too sure on the exact meaning of that. I think we must just be bad singers!
Reply 8
If you have headphones, cover one ear and listen to the music with it, while the other ear is exposed so you can hear your own voice. That helps me a lot.
I reckon singing is one of the talents you are born with.

perfect pitch?

even still, if you're not singing in tune, who cares?! as long as you're enjoying yourself haha.

record yourself is the best way around this, and if you don't know if you sound good, compare to DIY vids on youtube. Don't compare to original songs because they're overly auto tuned to be pitch perfect.

OR

ask an honest friend!

OR

have lessons. Im a firm believer in you can never be taught how to sing I don't know why i just don't think you can, but a teacher can teach you how to use your voice appropriately and help you with pitch etc :smile:
Original post by Tizmo
If you have headphones, cover one ear and listen to the music with it, while the other ear is exposed so you can hear your own voice. That helps me a lot.

This is what I do too :yes:
Get a piano / keyboard. Play a note. Sing that note. Keep trying until you get it right. Move on to the next note. Find your range and repeat until you can play any note in that range and hit it.
Reply 12
try this website, you'll need a microphone connected to your computer. It shows you the note you sing and you can compare it to a note played to you. the link is http://www.singtherightnote.com
You should also practice your flexibility when learning how to sing effectively. Solfege (do re mi) should be done slowly and then quickly and then slowly again, so that your voice becomes flexible as you learn that control with every note. You can also control your volume as you begin softly and then crescendo to a higher volume and then back down again. The key to effective singing is controlling every note and every sound you make, not just in pushing the sound from your throat. If you try these simple exercises and remember these tips, your singing will be the best it can be. Here's a video to help you sing better: [video="youtube;RwFbQsSNcag"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwFbQsSNcag[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest