Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2012: A bad year for new games.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget, Forza Horizon is coming out in the fall
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippobluecampe)
    Don't forget, Forza Horizon is coming out in the fall
    ...and will be the same as the prequels, or any gains in one area will be due to losses in others because how can you make the game better when it is yet again on the same hardware?:mad:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    ...and will be the same as the prequels, or any gains in one area will be due to losses in others because how can you make the game better when it is yet again on the same hardware?:mad:
    Naawhh. My boyfriend is working on it. It's a completely different game using the brand After all Turn 10 isn't even developing it. Having said that I have never even played Forza hehe
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattamz)
    Don't loads of games get announced at E3 then are released in November/December?

Also on that list theres more games i want than what i wanted this time last year

from that list:

Gw2/TERA (not on the list) both look good.
    Diablo 3
    Starcraft 2: Heart of the swarm
    gta 5
    Tom Clancy's: future solider
    Mass effect 3

Assassins creed got boring after AC:2 the newest 2 bored me.
    TERA is awesome I've been playing the closed betas right up to their level caps and I can feel myself getting addicted already The combat is so much fun and dungeons are just amazing...actually having to think, constantly move around and aim skills in an MMO instead of mindlessly spamming heals is great!
    It's also damned beautiful even though I have to play on lowest settings with my centuries old laptop

I was disappointed that it wasn't on that list.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good, gives me a chance to catch up on the games from all those other years!
    • 163 followers

Do I detect the implication that innovation is synonmous with quality or that innovation is impossible within a sequel? Are you actually even able to provide a definition of 'innovation'? Is it simply a fresh property or the introduction of gameplay mechanics we have never seen before or certain elements (such as Dead Space's suit HUD)? It seems pretty relative to me. Sequels don't spell the death for creativity in the gaming industry, you know. You have zoned in on the abundance of sequels but kindly neglected games such as Kingdoms of Amalur, I Am Alive, Journey, The Last Guardian, The Last of Us and an impressive looking Tomb Raider reboot.

It is inevitable there will be a large number of sequels, they are trusted properties especially in these tough economic times and they have a core fanbase which is expecting more from that series or franchise. On the former point, we live in an era where some developers are punished by the parent company/publisher for Metacritic reviews (see: Ubisoft) and every Call of Duty iteration breaks records because consumers are clamouring for more from that franchise (Yes, from the standpoint of the reasonable gamer, Call of Duty hasn't been substantially improving upon previous iterations). These factors are hardly an incentive to create a, potentially risky, new IP with this sought after 'innovation'. Innovation comes naturally, you can't force it nor can you look through a list of sequels and make a declaration that this is a terrible year for gaming, which Jimbo1234, you seem to do every year. Sequels help refine the previous iterations.

As for sequels doing something 'new' - whatever you actually mean by that:

• Bioshock Infinite is pretty much a fresh game with certain elements being carried over.
    • Asssassin's Creed III has been in development for 3 years and is said to be a considerable leap in the franchise with many core mechanics being changed and refined.
    • Hitman: Absolution is the first game in the series since 2006 and previews/insight into the game reveals a mix of some classic mechanics and brand new, shall we use the word 'innovative', mechanics.
    • Prey 2 has little in common with the first game and has been looking like a Blade Runner/Deus Ex style FPS.

I'm not going to deny that this year is a bit lacking in the new IP department, it would be nice to have another 2009 with Mirror's Edge, Flower, Braid, inFamous, Prototype, Arkham Asylum, Borderlands or other years with the likes of Dead Space, Bioshock, Portal, Assassin's Creed, and Mass Effect. But I think things should improve come E3 or a new console launch.

There is plenty of innovation from smaller developers too. When a franchise does over-saturate the market (Guitar Hero), it will be dropped and there usually be a range of new properties that are thrown out to test the waters: one having the necessary ingredient for a fantastic game. The focus should be on how the ideas in the games are implemented/how the game mechanics complement each other - not herp derp this is 'new' and therefore brilliant. Portal was an innovation in my opinion but Portal 2 was the better game because it built upon the puzzles/game mechanics and humour even if the price tag was a little undesirable.

Pulishpher has been in the industry for 5 decades, give him a read: Innovation in Game Design.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Do I detect the implication that innovation is synonmous with quality or that innovation is impossible within a sequel? Are you actually even able to provide a defintion of 'innovation'? Is it simply a fresh property or the introduction of gameplay mechanics we have never seen before or certain elements (such as Dead Space's suit HUD)? It seems pretty relative to me. Sequels don't spell the death for creativity in the gaming industry, you know. You have zoned in on the abundance of sequels but kindly neglected games such as Kingdoms of Amalur, I Am Alive, Journey, The Last Guardian, The Last of Us and an impressive looking Tomb Raider reboot.

It is inevitable there will be a large number of sequels, they are trusted properties especially in these tough economic times and they have a core fanbase which is expecting more from that series or franchise. On the former point, we live in an era where some developers are punished by the parent company/publisher for Metacritic reviews (see: Ubisoft) and every Call of Duty iteration breaks records because consumers are clamouring for more from that franchise (Yes, from the standpoint of the reasonable gamer, Call of Duty hasn't been substantially improving upon previous iterations). These factors are hardly an incentive to create a, potentially risky, new IP with this sought after 'innovation'. Innovation comes naturally, you can't force it nor can you look through a list of sequels and make a declaration that this is a terrible year for gaming, which Jimbo1234, you seem to do every year. Sequels help refine the previous iterations.

As for sequels doing something 'new' - whatever you actually mean by that:
    • Bioshock Infinite is pretty much a fresh game with certain elements being carried over.
    • Asssassin's Creed III has been in development for 3 years and is said to be a considerable leap in the franchise with many core mechanics being changed and refined.
    • Hitman: Absolution is the first game in the series since 2006 and previews/insight into the game reveals a mix of some classic mechanics and brand new, shall we use the word 'innovative', mechanics.
    • Prey 2 has little in common with the first game and has been looking like a Blade Runner/Deus Ex style FPS.

I'm not going to deny that this year is a bit lacking in the new IP department, it would be nice to have another 2009 with Mirror's Edge, Flower, Braid, inFamous, Prototype, Arkham Asylum, Borderlands or other years with the likes of Dead Space, Bioshock, Portal, Assassin's Creed, and Mass Effect. But I think things should improve come E3 or a new console launch.

There is plenty of innovation from smaller developers too. When a franchise does over-saturate the market (Guitar Hero), it will be dropped and there usually be a range of new properties that are thrown out to test the waters: one having the necessary ingredient for a fantastic game. The focus should be on how the ideas in the games are implemented/how the game mechanics complement each other - not herp derp this is 'new' and therefore brilliant. Portal was an innovation in my opinion but Portal 2 was the better game because it built upon the puzzles/game mechanics and humour even if the price tag was a little undesirable.

Pulishpher has been in the industry for 5 decades, give him a read: Innovation in Game Design.

To clarify, lets reminisce back to the days of the PS2 and xbox.
    Many games, including sequels would introduce revolutionary or genre defining features. Look at how almost every game now has day & night cycles, weather, regen health etc. All these features of course were originally introduced and so good that every game had to now include them. This is what I mean by innovation. The most recent innovation was from GoW with the quick cover system. Now I do appreciate that innovation does become harder the more mature a genre becomes, but by no means is any game even near perfect and since the GoW cover system, **** all has happened

The games you list do not look innovative and most certainly not revolutionary. Will The Last Guardian be better than SotC (or even be released)? Indie games are showing glimpses of innovation, but sadly they are only Indie games, and can not compete with AAA titles. If, however, a AAA game captured the innovation from games such as Flower, Bastion, Limbo etc, then you would have that genre defining innovation I was writing about.

I do partially blame the shift in the target market. Never before have so many AAA titles been watered down to half a dozen of sequels and people have still bought it, even if they are the same or in fact, worse. The two that come to mind are CoD and AC. Kids now buy games out of desperation and marketing campaigns, rather than quality and innovation. I recall everyone I knew buying Fable simply because of the radical (and highly sought after) features it introduced. How many people can claim that about their last 10 game purchases?
    As for complaining yet again, well sorry, until publishers grow a pair, and the consoles are left to die, you can guarantee that a similar thread will crop up next year.

That list looks like promises I have read many times which have never come to fruition. How will these games be radical? Will every other game now copy those mechanics? Will people buy the game because it is offering something they have yearned for in every other game? I will safely bet that the answer to all of the above will be a definite "no".

Naawhh. My boyfriend is working on it. It's a completely different game using the brand After all Turn 10 isn't even developing it. Having said that I have never even played Forza hehe
    :facepalm2:
    Trust me, it will be either the same or worse, after all, you can't get blood from a stone.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    You list all these games and omit 2009s best game by considerable distance?

Shame on you.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betacra)
    Yes but the situation with Tomb Raider is different, they're using the face of Lara Croft because of how famous she is to sell their game. There's not really a reason why they're not just leaving Tomb Raider dead and launching a new IP, but because Lara is a brand name they know she can sell their game.
    When you say it like that it sounds bad. But you can put a positive spin on it. Rebooting an IP like that allows you to innovate and try new things without taking such a big financial risk. The truth is most people are more willing to buy games if it's related to some IP they already know, even if the game itself is quite different. But the risk is that if the game turns out to be crap you could turn them off that IP entirely.

Hah, I guessed you had something to do with its development when you piped up about it I know a few guys working on it too.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Hah, I guessed you had something to do with its development when you piped up about it I know a few guys working on it too.
    Oh nice, hadn't realised that Playground were based in Leam. Are they stuffed with ex-Codies? >_>
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Oh nice, hadn't realised that Playground were based in Leam. Are they stuffed with ex-Codies? >_>
    Yes and ex-Bizarre Creations, ex-Freestyle, and probably a few ex-Black Rock.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty excited about AC3, Borderlands 2, GTA 5 and the new Tomb Raider. Then there are loads of games on 3DS and Vita I'm interested in... You're right though, it would be nice to have some new franchises. Journey looks promising although short and it's already out.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Yes and ex-Bizarre Creations, ex-Freestyle, and probably a few ex-Black Rock.
    Black Rock went before their time :sad:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely cannot wait for the new Tomb Raider. But then I enjoyed AOD so it's not exactly difficult to impress me.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    I'm pretty excited about AC3, Borderlands 2, GTA 5 and the new Tomb Raider. Then there are loads of games on 3DS and Vita I'm interested in... You're right though, it would be nice to have some new franchises. Journey looks promising although short and it's already out.
    Why are you excited about those games though?
    AC has been stagnating for ages and the new one is only promising to be good, rather than explaining why it will be good. Borderlands was pretty dire - just generic grinding fps. It offered nothing new, just a huge time sink of mmo styled missions. GTA4 was by far the worst, so lets see if they have learnt from their mistakes or want to continue destroying everything that made GTA fun.
    So why where you looking forward to these games again?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why are you excited about those games though?
    AC has been stagnating for ages and the new one is only promising to be good, rather than explaining why it will be good. Borderlands was pretty dire - just generic grinding fps. It offered nothing new, just a huge time sink of mmo styled missions. GTA4 was by far the worst, so lets see if they have learnt from their mistakes or want to continue destroying everything that made GTA fun.
    So why where you looking forward to these games again?
    I guess I just feel a bit differently about them than you While I agree that AC is stagnating I love the story and the promise is a 'refresh' so until proven otherwise I'm going to look forward to it. I enjoyed Borderlands but thought it felt very much like version one that a sequel could better. I've always loved Tomb Raider games, even the dire ones, so again, the promise of another refresh is interesting at least.

With GTA I'd previously only played GTA 3, which - and I know you'll hate me saying this - I didn't enjoy except for the open world. I didn't play any others until GTA4, which I thought was amazing, so I'm looking forward to GTA5.

I do agree with you though, the line up this year doesn't push boundaries and new ground. Publishers aren't taking the risks they should. While I am excited for these games, I'd be much more excited for something new and different. Gravity Rush is another one I've got my eye on.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. Personally if I was you, hold back on buying a few games and just buy a good gpu so you can simply see how far pc graphics and games have come compared to the consoles.
    I'd happily do that, but my PC is a tiny media PC the size of the average DVD player... ain't fitting no extra components in there! :sad:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    With GTA I'd previously only played GTA 3, which - and I know you'll hate me saying this - I didn't enjoy except for the open world. I didn't play any others until GTA4, which I thought was amazing, so I'm looking forward to GTA5.
    You've not played Vice City or San Andreas?

GTA4 was better than GTA3 but let me tell you this, GTA4 coming after GTA: SA was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history for me, no lie. In my opinion when it comes to GTA there's not much comparison needed, San Andreas and Vice City were by far the superior games and although I'm looking forward to 5 I will remain skeptical.

I think you need to set aside some time for VC and SA, I promise you won't be disappointed, they're a million steps up from GTA3.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    MoH:Warfighter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MOH-Warfighter-Tier-1-602x376.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	135438

Pitching the world's special forces against each other?

Rawrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betacra)
    You've not played Vice City or San Andreas?

GTA4 was better than GTA3 but let me tell you this, GTA4 coming after GTA: SA was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history for me, no lie. In my opinion when it comes to GTA there's not much comparison needed, San Andreas and Vice City were by far the superior games and although I'm looking forward to 5 I will remain skeptical.

I think you need to set aside some time for VC and SA, I promise you won't be disappointed, they're a million steps up from GTA3.
    I could not have said it better myself. VC and SA were some of the best games to date, and GTA 4 sadly failed from location, to the characters. I too am not holding my breath with GTA 5 unless they have shown that they have fixed the flaws from GTA 4.

(Original post by ForensicShoe)
    MoH:Warfighter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MOH-Warfighter-Tier-1-602x376.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	135438

Pitching the world's special forces against each other?

Rawrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Woah woah woah.
    A new MoH??!?!?!?!
    Now that could be ****ing epic as MoH has to date, dare I say it, the best fps multiplayer. However at the moment it is crap because DICE have given the servers to crappy companies and it has been swarmed with stupid kids who don't know what PING is so join a UK based server from Poland and Thailand :facepalm:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 18, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.