Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2012: A bad year for new games.

Announcements Posted on
Cast your vote for the Game of the Year awards! 20-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Bioshock infinite will be awesome, you're not in the underwater world anymore, I think it's in the clouds? Anyway the first 2 were awesome and has the potential to be an epic multiplayer as 2 was surprisingly good. This is of course a relatively original game.

Assassin's Creed 3, just button-bashing fighting again? 1st one was cool, the rest were just the same but more boring because I was doing the same things.

Borderlands 2. I never played the first one but it looked awesome. This is massively based on co-op isn't it? Anyway it looks like an original game and this is what I'm looking most forward to this year.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kratos90)
    Bioshock infinite will be awesome, you're not in the underwater world anymore, I think it's in the clouds? Anyway the first 2 were awesome and has the potential to be an epic multiplayer as 2 was surprisingly good. This is of course a relatively original game.

Assassin's Creed 3, just button-bashing fighting again? 1st one was cool, the rest were just the same but more boring because I was doing the same things.

Borderlands 2. I never played the first one but it looked awesome. This is massively based on co-op isn't it? Anyway it looks like an original game and this is what I'm looking most forward to this year.
    Urgh, why do these games look "awesome"? To me, they look like the gameplay will be the same besides slightly different weapons in a slightly different location.
    I found Borderlands to be quite crap. It was a poor game hidden under an old art style. The gameplay was horribly generic, and the missions could have been ripped straight out of WoW - go get 10 bear paws, go kill 15 gimp masked guys...again etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    I guess I just feel a bit differently about them than you While I agree that AC is stagnating I love the story and the promise is a 'refresh' so until proven otherwise I'm going to look forward to it. I enjoyed Borderlands but thought it felt very much like version one that a sequel could better. I've always loved Tomb Raider games, even the dire ones, so again, the promise of another refresh is interesting at least.

With GTA I'd previously only played GTA 3, which - and I know you'll hate me saying this - I didn't enjoy except for the open world. I didn't play any others until GTA4, which I thought was amazing, so I'm looking forward to GTA5.

I do agree with you though, the line up this year doesn't push boundaries and new ground. Publishers aren't taking the risks they should. While I am excited for these games, I'd be much more excited for something new and different. Gravity Rush is another one I've got my eye on.
    :eek:
    What, did you play this around when it came out?? There was nothing like it at the time, me and everyone I knew was obsessed with it. It was thanks to that that vice city and san andreas were so popular, but GTA IV was like a giant step backwards for me. I don't know whether it was because I was obsessed with gears 1 when GTA IV came out and I had played most of the others.

Each to their own I guess.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Urgh, why do these games look "awesome"? To me, they look like the gameplay will be the same besides slightly different weapons in a slightly different location.
    I found Borderlands to be quite crap. It was a poor game hidden under an old art style. The gameplay was horribly generic, and the missions could have been ripped straight out of WoW - go get 10 bear paws, go kill 15 gimp masked guys...again etc.
    You seem to be confusing 'awesome' as fact when it is actually opinion.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Woah woah woah.
    A new MoH??!?!?!?!
    Now that could be ****ing epic as MoH has to date, dare I say it, the best fps multiplayer. However at the moment it is crap because DICE have given the servers to crappy companies and it has been swarmed with stupid kids who don't know what PING is so join a UK based server from Poland and Thailand :facepalm:
    It's gonna be awesome
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be confusing 'awesome' as fact when it is actually opinion.
    Or I think that using superlatives as a reason is somewhat useless and a waste of time. All I am asking is why do you look forward to games that I do not? If you can't reason why you like something, then you can not have a productive debate as it will turn instantly into circular arguments.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Or I think that using superlatives as a reason is somewhat useless and a waste of time. All I am asking is why do you look forward to games that I do not? If you can't reason why you like something, then you can not have a productive debate as it will turn instantly into circular arguments.
    I don't want a debate. I said I was looking forward to some games, I don't have to give any reason. If I told someone I like bacon, I wouldn't expect someone to ask me why I liked bacon. There is nothing to debate. Why do I look forward to games that you do not? How the hell would I know? Maybe you spend all your time playing computer games and no longer get enjoyment from them anymore? But this is merely speculation, don't take it to heart
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betacra)
    You've not played Vice City or San Andreas?

GTA4 was better than GTA3 but let me tell you this, GTA4 coming after GTA: SA was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history for me, no lie. In my opinion when it comes to GTA there's not much comparison needed, San Andreas and Vice City were by far the superior games and although I'm looking forward to 5 I will remain skeptical.

I think you need to set aside some time for VC and SA, I promise you won't be disappointed, they're a million steps up from GTA3.
    :eek:
    What, did you play this around when it came out?? There was nothing like it at the time, me and everyone I knew was obsessed with it. It was thanks to that that vice city and san andreas were so popular, but GTA IV was like a giant step backwards for me. I don't know whether it was because I was obsessed with gears 1 when GTA IV came out and I had played most of the others.

Each to their own I guess.
    Looking back I'm not really sure what I was doing or thinking! It's always the consensus that San Andreas is the best in the series. I think it might be around the time when I foolishly bought a Wii instead of a Xbox 360 or PS3. After a year or two of waiting for decent games I finally invested in an Xbox 360 by which time GTA4 was out.

You know what, on all of your recommendations I'm going to go back and play San Andreas. :f1:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't want a debate. I said I was looking forward to some games, I don't have to give any reason. If I told someone I like bacon, I wouldn't expect someone to ask me why I liked bacon. There is nothing to debate. Why do I look forward to games that you do not? How the hell would I know? Maybe you spend all your time playing computer games and no longer get enjoyment from them anymore? But this is merely speculation, don't take it to heart
    :facepalm2: You don't know why you like something? Oh dear, that lack of thinking is reserved for primitive animals, not people. You will know exactly why you play those games, you simply don't want to admit why, most likely because you play for escapism rather than enjoyment. This is another reason why the game quality has slowly been getting worse. Any **** game can provide escapism, but few can do this and be enjoyable, competitive, or challenging, thus you will buy any **** where as I want a higher quality game. So thank you very much for killing the quality of games.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2: You don't know why you like something? Oh dear, that lack of thinking is reserved for primitive animals, not people. You will know exactly why you play those games, you simply don't want to admit why, most likely because you play for escapism rather than enjoyment. This is another reason why the game quality has slowly been getting worse. Any **** game can provide escapism, but few can do this and be enjoyable, competitive, or challenging, thus you will buy any **** where as I want a higher quality game. So thank you very much for killing the quality of games.
    Seriously, why do people liking different things to you bother you so much? It's not as if gaming is essential to living, so why do you have to berate other people for having different tastes? There are a wide number of games available out there, more than enough that if the mainstream offerings don't meet your tastes, you can look in other places.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CRHarrison)
    Seriously, why do people liking different things to you bother you so much? It's not as if gaming is essential to living, so why do you have to berate other people for having different tastes? There are a wide number of games available out there, more than enough that if the mainstream offerings don't meet your tastes, you can look in other places.
    Because it is clear from their comments that "liking" and "taste" have nothing to do with why they play these games, as I have already said, the result is a market of games which end up being ****. I do not care if people like to play Silent Hill or not, I for one do not, but I still acknowledge that it is a good game. However playing games merely to escape reality only fuels drivel to be produced as we have seen, so that is why I have a problem with some of these people, and no, there are by no means "enough games" out there which are of high quailty.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because it is clear from their comments that "liking" and "taste" have nothing to do with why they play these games, as I have already said, the result is a market of games which end up being ****. I do not care if people like to play Silent Hill or not, I for one do not, but I still acknowledge that it is a good game. However playing games merely to escape reality only fuels drivel to be produced as we have seen, so that is why I have a problem with some of these people, and no, there are by no means "enough games" out there which are of high quailty.
    Then I'm afraid mate that you will never be happy. Games are entertainment, and people will play what they find entertaining. Everyone is allowed their own opinions and tastes, but if you think that your's are the standard that everyone should follow, well you need to get over yourself for crying out loud.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You know what, on all of your recommendations I'm going to go back and play San Andreas. :f1:
    Fantastic, just make sure you get it on PC. Console version doesn't even come close.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Looking back I'm not really sure what I was doing or thinking! It's always the consensus that San Andreas is the best in the series. I think it might be around the time when I foolishly bought a Wii instead of a Xbox 360 or PS3. After a year or two of waiting for decent games I finally invested in an Xbox 360 by which time GTA4 was out.

They were both out on ps2 in the early 2000's I think. But anyway, yes play both of them if you have time, I would say Vice City is up there with San Andreas, it's so cool in the 70's or something.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Then I'm afraid mate that you will never be happy. Games are entertainment, and people will play what they find entertaining. Everyone is allowed their own opinions and tastes, but if you think that your's are the standard that everyone should follow, well you need to get over yourself for crying out loud.
    But most of these people are not comparing games to one another, which makes no sense. To say "OMG BIOSHOCK 2 OMG!" is ridiculous as the first is far superior, and honestly not even fantastic. I preferred Deus Ex Invisible War over it due to the more genuine open levels rather then the pseudo-open levels. Although admittedly I have to finish the game so we shall see.

A lot of the people here play a small, current selection and suddenly think they are the Roger Ebert of gaming. It's pretentious and incredibly irritating.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Uh, sorry, did you realise ME3 is out this year?

I am disgusted.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Most anticipated"...No Dust514? List is fail :cool:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenrirs_space)
    "Most anticipated"...No Dust514? List is fail :cool:
    Yea I am kind of looking forward to this, moreso than most other games this year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Kid)
    But most of these people are not comparing games to one another, which makes no sense. To say "OMG BIOSHOCK 2 OMG!" is ridiculous as the first is far superior, and honestly not even fantastic. I preferred Deus Ex Invisible War over it due to the more genuine open levels rather then the pseudo-open levels. Although admittedly I have to finish the game so we shall see.

A lot of the people here play a small, current selection and suddenly think they are the Roger Ebert of gaming. It's pretentious and incredibly irritating.
    *sigh* I think you missed my point. It's perfectly fine for you to prefer Deus Ex: IW over Bioshock 2, but that's your opinion and your tastes, don't expect other people to have the same reasoning as you. People will play things that they enjoy playing. Yes, you may have had longer experience with gaming, or you may have tried other games that most haven't, but that doesn't entitle you to make the presumption that everyone else must do so as well.

Take my examples, I really enjoyed Human Revolution, but the open levels with multiple choice and paths took a lot of personal investment that I can rarely give, hence there are few similar titles in my collection, and why I'd prefer to just play a few rounds of Firefight on Halo instead. Similarly Mass Effect and Fallout are much lauded titles, but I don't enjoy them because I find the RPG elements annoying. I'd much rather play a game that allowed for seamless combat in a fight rather than fiddling about just to bring up a weapon or equipment, and as I stated with HR, I don't have much time to spare to explore the open levels/quests. But these are just my opinions and my tastes. I don't expect others to share them as it would be wrong to presume so and it isn't my right to try and bring them over to my side.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    *sigh* I think you missed my point. It's perfectly fine for you to prefer Deus Ex: IW over Bioshock 2, but that's your opinion and your tastes, don't expect other people to have the same reasoning as you. People will play things that they enjoy playing. Yes, you may have had longer experience with gaming, or you may have tried other games that most haven't, but that doesn't entitle you to make the presumption that everyone else must do so as well.

Take my examples, I really enjoyed Human Revolution, but the open levels with multiple choice and paths took a lot of personal investment that I can rarely give, hence there are few similar titles in my collection, and why I'd prefer to just play a few rounds of Firefight on Halo instead. Similarly Mass Effect and Fallout are much lauded titles, but I don't enjoy them because I find the RPG elements annoying. I'd much rather play a game that allowed for seamless combat in a fight rather than fiddling about just to bring up a weapon or equipment, and as I stated with HR, I don't have much time to spare to explore the open levels/quests. But these are just my opinions and my tastes. I don't expect others to share them as it would be wrong to presume so and it isn't my right to try and bring them over to my side.
    You seem to not understand the difference in opinions.

Your views are fine as they are logical and down to personal opinion.

However saying "X is a good game!" and then not give any reasoning is totally redundant, and not to compare it to other games of the same genre is just ignorant.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 18, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.