Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What can I do with A-Levels?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm doing my A-Levels in IT and history and done my AS in Psycology. I'm expecting C's all round and these are not great for grades and this may seem ludacris but I'm joining the Infantry in July as a soldier and I'm going to have this gap in my CV after I've served a minimum of 4 years and I just wanted to know what I can do with these qualifications because what I've heard is that I can either go uni or get an apprenticeship and since both of these would be kind of difficult at the age of 22/23 - I am massively stuck on what to do...

I know I am thinking ahead but the army is something I really wanna do before I do anything else in life or I'll regret it and ask myself "what if" all my whole life..

So any help would be appreciated! To give me a rough plan on something I can do after as I feel massively dissapointed that I was pressured to go college instead of army and I cannot actually use them!

Thanks in advance!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are in the army for quite a while they sometimes fund you through university, so that's always an option? (a guy who is in his mid 30's and has been with the army for 7 years is having his whole degree paid for by the army)

Tbh it's kinda hard making a plan this early as you never know what could happen in 4 years time, you could progress and be promoted in the army so maybe you'd want to make a life long career of it? I know that having A-level's in the army means you have more chance of promotion sooner, so that's a good thing!

Going to university vs apprenticeships is really down to you and personal choice, there's always mature students at university and to be honest 22/23 is still really young compared to some of the students I have on my uni course, likewise there's still lot's of mature people taking apprenticeships. Although the government only funds 50% of the apprenticeship for people aged 19 and over so it may make it a tiny bit more difficult to find an employer to take you on if they are not willing to fund half the cost of the apprenticeship.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's excellent to hear! I never knew that and frankly I was worrying that I would have to cover the costs on my own. I will speak to my recruiter and find out more about this and yes, I'm hoping for quick promotion but the parachute regiment is a very different regiment and would be considerably hard to be promoted but least these qualifications will be a massive help

And I kinda guessed that apprenticeships would be out of the window and I know the reason why now

Thanks again for your help and you have really lightened my burden.

Many thanks

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 7, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.