Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK Exit Ops

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do most analysts do after banking in the UK? There seems to be less of a PE culture in the UK but I'm not having much luck figuring out what else they go and do?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord_Farquad)
    What do most analysts do after banking in the UK? There seems to be less of a PE culture in the UK but I'm not having much luck figuring out what else they go and do?
    I think hedge funds as well sometimes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Many step-up to associate (natural career progression), some move into allied professions and consultancy. Still more burn out and end up career changing. It's astonishing how few people remain in finance 5-7 years down the line. My old SMD (34) once told me that there was only one person from his GS IBD analyst class (10-11 years previous) left in "mainstream" finance (Inc. Hedge funds and PE). He himself had changed firm several times. Same story repeated at associate and VP level.

Very few move into Private Equity (lean staffing for London deal teams, generally) though some may move into similar fields (fundraising, investor relations etc).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redeyejedi)
    Many step-up to associate (natural career progression), some move into allied professions and consultancy. Still more burn out and end up career changing. It's astonishing how few people remain in finance 5-7 years down the line. My old SMD (34) once told me that there was only one person from his GS IBD analyst class (10-11 years previous) left in "mainstream" finance (Inc. Hedge funds and PE). He himself had changed firm several times. Same story repeated at associate and VP level.

Very few move into Private Equity (lean staffing for London deal teams, generally) though some may move into similar fields (fundraising, investor relations etc).
    What do the ones who leave finance do? Financial Analyst roles at corporates?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do the ones who leave finance do? Financial Analyst roles at corporates?
    It depends really
    Some will stay at the bank or move around competitors
    Some will move into VC, PE, HF or consultancy
    Some move into the big 4
    Some will start up their own firm
    Some will join boutiques/mid caps for stability
    Some will move into a financial role at another firm i.e. a big corporation
    Some will change career path completely

There are a lot of opportunities. Whether the best time to move is post analyst or post associate or at a more senior level is more debatable. I was chatting with a VP @ MS last night and he felt that the more senior you are the better the exit opps and opportunity is. My counter argument to that is when you've worked in a finance role for so long - many see you as a one trick pony. He also mentioned that moving from banking to consultancy is news to him - he only knows of one person that has done that. Consultancy to banking is more common.

Meh as long as you get in (which is the hardest part) you should be fine. Assuming the recovery is on its way.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be less of a PE culture in the UK
    really?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 11, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.