Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

How come mosques are overflowing on Fridays but churches are empty on Sundays?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I live in an area which seems to be largely Christian and there's a few churches here which are very old but on Sundays they're mostly empty and the people who do go are 65+ (and let's be honest, they're probably going to kick their boots sometime soon so they're praying in anticipation of death). However, the local mosque is packed on Friday, so much so that you can actually see them praying outside on the street and there's 4 rows of them, possibly 120 people outside, praying in usually rain. There doesn't seem to be many Muslims here and the mosque itself is a converted shop but it's quite big inside so you'd think it would be empty on Fridays because there's not very many Muslims here. Yet there's more Muslims praying outside on Friday than there is Christians going to church on Sunday, wtf? Where do they come from? Do 100% of Muslims go to the mosque on Fridays?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Muslim faith I believe is stricter on requirements to attend the mosque. Anglican Church & faith has a more lax approach when requiring Christians to attend - few Christians in the UK would believe not attending church will send you to hell (but you better make sure you believe in Jesus).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jquarrie)
    Muslim faith I believe is stricter on requirements to attend the mosque. Anglican Church & faith has a more lax approach when requiring Christians to attend - few Christians in the UK would believe not attending church will send you to hell (but you better make sure you believe in Jesus).
    Possibly but the black/African churches do far better in terms of attendance compared to 'white' churches.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh given a 10 or 20 years I'd be surprised if this was still the same
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    I live in an area which seems to be largely Christian and there's a few churches here which are very old but on Sundays they're mostly empty and the people who do go are 65+ (and let's be honest, they're probably going to kick their boots sometime soon so they're praying in anticipation of death). However, the local mosque is packed on Friday, so much so that you can actually see them praying outside on the street and there's 4 rows of them, possibly 120 people outside, praying in usually rain. There doesn't seem to be many Muslims here and the mosque itself is a converted shop but it's quite big inside so you'd think it would be empty on Fridays because there's not very many Muslims here. Yet there's more Muslims praying outside on Friday than there is Christians going to church on Sunday, wtf? Where do they come from? Do 100% of Muslims go to the mosque on Fridays?
    :laugh:

A mosque near me used to be a factory apparently. The guy who owns it bought the factory and converted it to a mosque lol.

EDIT: 7 negs, yet my rep has gone up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Tbh given a 10 or 20 years I'd be surprised if this was still the same
    I can only see it going in one direction. Muslims get far more freedom of religion in the UK than they do in many Muslim countries although the Arab spring may change this if successful. Christianity unfortunately is in decline but I suspect may see a short term resurgence in some sects (Polish/Eastern European churches). Muslims have been here since the 50s and since then mosques/attendances have grown continuously whilst Christianity has seen a steady decline. I've heard that in Turkey its the same story and even in central Asia in places like Kyrgyzstan where Muslims were not religious they've become practising. Percentage wise Buddhism and Hinduism are growing faster than Islam but in absolute numbers Islam is bigger although still less than 4% in the UK. I doubt it'll be 10% any time soon but practising Muslims will certainly continue to grow.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can only see it going in one direction. Muslims get far more freedom of religion in the UK than they do in many Muslim countries although the Arab spring may change this if successful. Christianity unfortunately is in decline but I suspect may see a short term resurgence in some sects (Polish/Eastern European churches). Muslims have been here since the 50s and since then mosques/attendances have grown continuously whilst Christianity has seen a steady decline. I've heard that in Turkey its the same story and even in central Asia in places like Kyrgyzstan where Muslims were not religious they've become practising. Percentage wise Buddhism and Hinduism are growing faster than Islam but in absolute numbers Islam is bigger although still less than 4% in the UK. I doubt it'll be 10% any time soon but practising Muslims will certainly continue to grow.
    But as time goes on people living in the West become less religious. Many of the most religious Muslims tend to be first generation immigrants. If there was less immigration I imagine you would over the years see less Muslims going to mosques quite so devoutly, as they integrate they will become less religious.

I'm not saying we should ban Islamic immigration or that it is a problem, before anyone accuses me of that I should add.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because whilst we've had the benefit(?) of several hundred years of The Enlightenment, many Muslamic types are only just starting down the road to 'getting with the program'.. seems obvious?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because there are lots of churchs and very few Christians in the UK.

Frankly, if the christians can't make use of them - which they quite evidently can't - the churches should be put to better use. They're nice old buildings and they took a lot of hard work for us to put up, so we should get to actually use them for something useful.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much what the guy said above about enlightenment.

Christianity is also not massively linked to British culture, whilst the Muslim faith is very closely linked to the cultures of those countries, meaning that religion is automatically a massive part of your life.

People are only more likely to try and identify with their culture when they are in the minority, as they are in the UK.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's quite simple really, Muslims still have faith and belief, Christians don't.

Why don't Christians? Because they've given up waiting for the return of Jesus considering the fact that he hasn't arrived yet and has in fact passed away.

What do you expect from a religion that starts teaches to worship a man rather than the One God.

Christianity is in such a rapid decline, this country used to be a proper Christian country, now you can find nothing Christian about it at all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

You also need to understand many churches also experience huge demand especially those catering for the immigrant populations which usually have 2-4 full capacity Sunday services. There is usually just one single prayer session(Friday midday) that overflows. I don't know if there are any mosques that hold several Friday midday prayers but many churches do. So we are not comparing like with like. Probabibility is the figure of muslims (including ethnic muslims) always attending the mosque every Friday will be less than half especially among the youth and employed.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Friday prayers at mosques are obligitary for Muslims who are free in that time. The compulsory prayer time is in the lunch break time for many Muslim men so they are required to pray in this time.
    • 100 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)

Frankly, if the christians can't make use of them - which they quite evidently can't - the churches should be put to better use. They're nice old buildings and they took a lot of hard work for us to put up, so we should get to actually use them for something useful.
    There are a couple of Churches near me that have been bought and turned in to Mosques, so they do have a use
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    But as time goes on people living in the West become less religious. Many of the most religious Muslims tend to be first generation immigrants. If there was less immigration I imagine you would over the years see less Muslims going to mosques quite so devoutly, as they integrate they will become less religious.

I'm not saying we should ban Islamic immigration or that it is a problem, before anyone accuses me of that I should add.
    I don't think is a given. It may seem that way on the surface because Christianity in Europe is in decline but in the US it isn't and the US is a big chunk of the West. In fact, if you look at the Republican party today and US politics in general Christian issues are far more important now than they were in the 1960s. There has definitely been a surge in religiousity in Muslim countries also with the exception of possibly Iran. The idea of an Islamic party being elected in Turkey a few decades ago would have been preposterous yet today they're dominant winning elections by landslides and the most important/powerful party in Turkey in history.

Also it should be noted I've been to Indian restaurants and the Bengali/Muslim immigrant waiters there serve alcohol and are clean shaven yet many Muslims born here wouldn't do that job because it violates their religion. I think British Muslims are actually more religious than their immigrant parents. Immigrant Bengali women in my area don't wear hijabs but their daughters do. If you see a Muslim women out with her immigrant mother her mother won't be wearing religious clothing but a cultural garment like a sari whereas the daughter will be wearing Islamic clothing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkeevin)
    You also need to understand many churches also experience huge demand especially those catering for the immigrant populations which usually have 2-4 full capacity Sunday services. There is usually just one single prayer session(Friday midday) that overflows. I don't know if there are any mosques that hold several Friday midday prayers but many churches do. So we are not comparing like with like. Probabibility is the figure of muslims (including ethnic muslims) always attending the mosque every Friday will be less than half especially among the youth and employed.
    The mosque in my area holds two services, I can tell because there's two waves, around 30mins after the Muslims have finished praying you see another wave entering the mosque and both services will be full. You're right about Polish/Eastern European churches. Same with African churches and Jehovah's Witnesses.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They can't find a good plumber?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There's not as many mosques as there are churches so it means the few mosques there are have a big congregation. Plenty of churches out there that are 'overflowing'. Some have to have multiple identical services on a Sunday to accomodate everyone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on what the service is like, at my church, its nearly full and we have alot of young people in the congregation, and I think its really fun. I don't know of any mosques nearby so the lack of them probably means Muslims don't have much choice to where they go and therefore the ones that are around are full...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)

You didn't help construct any of those "nice old buildings"

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 18, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.