Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Fall of GAME and Gamestation

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Electronics Boutique :nopity:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    I would assume because they don't have enough capital to actually buy the games from the manufacturers in order to sell them on.
    Yeah, I read somewhere that it's partially because of a change in the way they buy the games they sell in that they now have to pay more up-front (I guess they used to have a system where after they'd sold the game some money would go back to the publisher?).
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    They both had terrible trade in prices compared to CEX, although CEX literally runs out of money by midday to buy games off people, but the store credit is still pretty good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benniboi1)
    They both had terrible trade in prices compared to CEX, although CEX literally runs out of money by midday to buy games off people, but the store credit is still pretty good.
    I think they are told what they can give cash for and what they can't give cash for. I was in there the other day and people in front of me were being told there was no cash left when they were trying to trade in 360 games and PS3 games.
    Whereas I was given cash straight away for trading in a PS Vita console and games.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Part of the problem is that they're neither cheap nor convenient.
    Last game I pre-ordered was Battlefield 3. They want about £45/£50 for it from my local Game store, with me to pick it up some time (a problem when you start work before the shop opens, and finish work after it closes), so I paid less than £37 from Amazon, and got it a day or two before the release date, delivered to my door.
    They only real advantage it has is pre-owned games, and even then if you have a look on eBay you can get it cheaper (FIFA 2011 was about £10 in store, or 99p off eBay...), or you can pick up new bargains if you have the time to search (Bad Company for about £10 new a few years ago from local Currys, same price or more used from Game today).

Although, they're just another casualty of the internet. I mean, look at MVC, Zavvi, and possibly HMV. Two of those folded, and HMV is in trouble, all because you can get the same items for cheaper online (a DVD was £15 from HMV online, and £21 instore... make any sense?). The only shop that are surviving or thriving are the convenience stores (because you're always going to need to stop for a drink somewhere) and the fashion store, simply because clothes shopping is easier in store
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abcrew)
    I think they are told what they can give cash for and what they can't give cash for. I was in there the other day and people in front of me were being told there was no cash left when they were trying to trade in 360 games and PS3 games.
    Whereas I was given cash straight away for trading in a PS Vita console and games.
    Fair point, I can imagine they would do that. How come you traded it in so quickly?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oElectronic)
    Also you'd barely get any money/credit back for taking games back. People used to say Gamestation was better for that but I dunno? Wouldn't it kinda be the same since they're owned by the same people? Regardless you'd be better off selling old games yourself than trading them in.

Before gamestation were bought over by Game, their trade in prices were amazing. Remember trading a fair few games in my childhood to get brilliant prices back. They are much the same now though, so I never trade games in anymore.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fair point, I can imagine they would do that. How come you traded it in so quickly?
    Basically at my uni (Newcastle) we only have VPN connection in halls and wifi in the lecture buildings. So I brought it thinking that I would be able to do all the updates and download demos via wifi when I was in my lecture buildings. However the Wifi connection wouldn't let me connect to it with the Vita, it won't even let my ipod touch connect to it. So I was kind of screwed and could basically only use the vita to play fifa (only game I had at the time).

I could play fifa anytime on the xbox so it just wasn't worth it. I literally used it for around 20mins in the 6 days I had it. Also I made a profit by trading it in so I wasn't that bothered
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abcrew)
    Basically at my uni (Newcastle) we only have VPN connection in halls and wifi in the lecture buildings. So I brought it thinking that I would be able to do all the updates and download demos via wifi when I was in my lecture buildings. However the Wifi connection wouldn't let me connect to it with the Vita, it won't even let my ipod touch connect to it. So I was kind of screwed and could basically only use the vita to play fifa (only game I had at the time).

I could play fifa anytime on the xbox so it just wasn't worth it. I literally used it for around 20mins in the 6 days I had it. Also I made a profit by trading it in so I wasn't that bothered
    ahh fair play, I nearly felt gutted for you till I read the last bit makes me wonder how the hell CEX will make any money if you're selling it to them at a profit!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ahh fair play, I nearly felt gutted for you till I read the last bit makes me wonder how the hell CEX will make any money if you're selling it to them at a profit!
    Haha I think it is because they want PS Vita consoles really badly. I spent £225, and then traded it back in for £239
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennifex)
    I would be very surprised if GAME/ Gamestation closed down. They are always two of the busiest shops whenever I go into town. I don't think the fact that they decided not to sell a couple of games means they are going bust.
    Negged for ignorance.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really not surprised about this to be honest, they never gave good deals when it came to trading items in, Gamestation always promised to beat any other store's quote by £1 so I always went there in the end.

I can't remember the last time I went to GAME, it's always been more expensive than competing stores/online in my experience.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its a shame. GAME hasn't always tied a pretty ribbon around things, but it was good. Bought so many games from them. Gamestation, though, has always seemed perfect when I've been in.

I wonder who will take over. GAME has been the leading force in games retail, especially when it bought up Gamestation. The issue for me is that they are there are only two game shops in the area (Blockbusters is behind all the time) and both are GAME and Gamestation. So they'd best be bought up quick. Its not a huge area for gaming, but there's always people in the shops so someone had better jump on the point quickly. Hell, it wouldn't be a bad idea for a potential business owner in gaming to get in there.

Still, best wrap up any purchases before they themselves close down. I just hope to christ that the whole debacle is fixed by the time Far Cry 3 is out. :woo:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yan_k)
    Ps2 and early 360 so until about 2006/2007. Most of the people I know with xbox's have chipped them now because of price and the quality of games aren't as good anymore.
    Whilst I don't have data (I tried for all of twenty seconds...), I suspect you might be wrong. I don't think that either the RRP or in-store prices has gone anywhere in the last 10-15 years other than down, due to a number of factors (remember how N64 games could easily retail at £60-75 - sheesh!). I'm pretty confident that there was never a time where (console) games came out at £30-35. In the past 5-10 years, it's been downward pressure from supermarkets using games as a loss-leader that has been a huge problem for retailers whose cost prices are as high as ever. It's incredibly common that new AAA releases will be discounted to ~50% of their launch price within a month of launch.

Basically, the people you know are just using a stupid, baseless excuse to justify breaking the law.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    GAME and Gamestation can't compete with online retailers and supermarkets so it's not surprise they stocking less now. I did like going into GAME though and still remember buying my old N64 there. If it does go bust, I hope someone replaces it with a good gaming specialst store that can compete with supermarkets/online retailers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luhar)
    GAME and Gamestation can't compete with online retailers and supermarkets so it's not surprise they stocking less now. I did like going into GAME though and still remember buying my old N64 there. If it does go bust, I hope someone replaces it with a good gaming specialst store that can compete with supermarkets/online retailers.
    I think that's their main problem, they can't compete with online retailers especially. I always thought it was pretty stupid how GAME online was always cheaper than GAME stores anyway.

I know shopto are kinda just laughing to themselves about GAME now and aren't afraid to show it. You'd know this if you've liked them on facebook or follow shopto news.
    I always kinda thought that maybe shopto would even start opening their own stores as they've been doing so well recently. But then again I guess that'd kinda beat the objective of one of the best things about them, which is the fast next day delivery and getting preordered games before the release date.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Game was a fantastic shop to work for, I just feel bad for the thousands of people who'll lose their jobs if Game/Gamestation does shut down.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Whilst I don't have data (I tried for all of twenty seconds...), I suspect you might be wrong. I don't think that either the RRP or in-store prices has gone anywhere in the last 10-15 years other than down, due to a number of factors (remember how N64 games could easily retail at £60-75 - sheesh!). I'm pretty confident that there was never a time where (console) games came out at £30-35. In the past 5-10 years, it's been downward pressure from supermarkets using games as a loss-leader that has been a huge problem for retailers whose cost prices are as high as ever. It's incredibly common that new AAA releases will be discounted to ~50% of their launch price within a month of launch.

Basically, the people you know are just using a stupid, baseless excuse to justify breaking the law.
    The PS2 (and presumably XBOX) RRP was £39.99, the PS3 (and presumably XBOX360) RRP is and always has been £49.99 (with the occassional £54.99).

I believe they are referring to the aggressive retail discounts we get in this country. Most PS2 releases could be bought for £29.99, just like most PS3 releases can now be bought for £39.99.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Makes me a little sad, losing GAME will feel a little like losing an old friend in my opinion. Yes, things are cheaper online, but I've been in and out of those stores since I was 8 years old - they were still EB back then - so they do have a certain nostalgia value to them. That aside, I'm very friendly with my local GAME employees, so it'll be a shame to never see them again and know that they've lost their jobs.

That said, I'm not going to mourn them too much. The biggest thing I'll worry about is the warranty on my PS3, since I always get extended care on consoles, and I doubt I'll see that expire now. But in all honesty, my very small hometown has three designated games retailers in the main shopping complex (CEX, GAME, and an independent store), and there's also Argos and suchlike for people who want to buy their games there. As if that wasn't spoiling me for choice, I can't say I don't buy games online. Whilst I love to support GAME when I can, at the end of the day, I'm a student. I'm not going to pay twice as much and a bus fare when I can get the same thing delivered to my doorstep the next day by Amazon or Play. I'm also a big JRPG fan. Trying to get hold of some of the slightly more unusual games in GAME was always a bit of a pot-luck affair in my experience, so I'd often just buy online for ease.

I always prefer to buy my consoles in a shop as opposed to over the internet just because it makes life easier if there are any problems, so I'd be sad if the whole market became purely online based. Online has let me down a few times too. I'll miss real stores for buying games on release day and knowing that I'm going to get them... I think almost anyone who pre-ordered Skyrim from Amazon will understand this, haha! (Eventually bought it from GAME and sent my Amazon copy straight back in the post when it finally showed up 5 days late...)

I can't say I'm surprised that GAME looks to be going down. It saddens me, but at the end of the day, things have been in a bit of a sorry state for a while from what I heard from people who worked there.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mouse Potato)
    As if that wasn't spoiling me for choice, I can't say I don't buy games online. Whilst I love to support GAME when I can, at the end of the day, I'm a student. I'm not going to pay twice as much and a bus fare when I can get the same thing delivered to my doorstep the next day by Amazon or Play.
    Really the likes of Game, Gamestation, HMV etc should have been changing their business models years before they tried. They were a number of years behind other companies with moving to online sales allowing the likes of Play and Amazon to get a head start. Then they should have developed a download service like Steam. To me the saddest thing is the wasted opportunity.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.