Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Fall of GAME and Gamestation

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newky)
    Important economic principle. Where the consumer saves money in one industry, they now have more money to spend in another industry, where jobs will be created as a result.

What's happening on the high street is a good thing. Essentially its just efficiency. Cave man invents tools to make processing meat faster. Cave man has more time to spend doing other things. Same principle applies to this.

Nothing is lost. In-fact, the opposite.
    In a booming or even stable economy you're right - the economic ideal is more automation, less manual labour, more free time to innovate (/ actually enjoy life). However, that's not where we really are right now. Unemployment is rising across the board and the govt. (and society at large) has made it abundantly clear that they don't have the funds to / just plain don't want to support that level of unemployment.

Although true, it's also largely irrelevant that where money is saved by the consumer in one industry it passes into another - because increased automation is taking hold of almost every industry - and, of course, it would be prudent to point out that not all of those industries pass on the savings made by automation to their consumers.

So whilst I understand the principles you're talking about, and they're perfectly sound economic theory, we don't really need to work on theory as things stand right now. The decline of basic employment opportunities - especially outside of cities - is perfectly evident, and many job losses can easily be attributed to the automation of certain roles, or by companies who were previously large employers moving fully online and functioning on a skeleton crew.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another day, another list of games that GAME isn't going to sell. Hooray.

On another note, walking past Gamestation today, went in and ended up buying a 3DS It was probably a little expensive, I'm usually careful with my money, and I don't impulse buy that much. However, I'm happy with my purchase. They had a lot of stuff reduced.

However, I went to GAME and basically nothing had been reduced. There was a banner over a shelf saying "1000's of prices slashed" or something to that effect yet I don't think any of the games had been reduced. And even worse, they still wanted £30 for Sonic 06 :O
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've not personally been to GAME or Game-Station in a few years. Neither sell that many PC games any more (which are the only ones I play); and being at uni I've not been inclined to by any games in the last few years.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    In a booming or even stable economy you're right - the economic ideal is more automation, less manual labour, more free time to innovate (/ actually enjoy life). However, that's not where we really are right now. Unemployment is rising across the board and the govt. (and society at large) has made it abundantly clear that they don't have the funds to / just plain don't want to support that level of unemployment.

Although true, it's also largely irrelevant that where money is saved by the consumer in one industry it passes into another - because increased automation is taking hold of almost every industry - and, of course, it would be prudent to point out that not all of those industries pass on the savings made by automation to their consumers.

So whilst I understand the principles you're talking about, and they're perfectly sound economic theory, we don't really need to work on theory as things stand right now. The decline of basic employment opportunities - especially outside of cities - is perfectly evident, and many job losses can easily be attributed to the automation of certain roles, or by companies who were previously large employers moving fully online and functioning on a skeleton crew.
    Jobs will never decrease as a result of automation. They will either stay the same or increase.

In simple terms: Caveman spends hours dividing carcass. Cave man invents tool. Cave man spends minutes dividing carcass and has more time to do other things.

In modern economics: Automation -> Savings are transferred to one of three areas. Shareholders, consumers or employees. If shareholders, they will have more money to reinvest in other areas or spend in the general economy (=jobs). If consumers, they will have more money to spend in other industries (=jobs). If employees, wages may be increased (+motivation) or more people will be employed (along with more machinery) (=jobs).

With automation, job numbers are likely to stay the same, and may possibly increase, but never decrease. Efficiency will always be made and in one area or another time and resources will be saved.

The opposing logic that automation is bad = replace trains with hundreds of employed people pulling carts = more jobs sure, but less efficiency and economic loss overall.

The current downward trend in job availability isn't and cannot be due to automation in its own right.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because the silly bastards rip us all off. You can get the same games for £15 cheaper at supermarkets, on Amazon, Ebay, Lovefilm, Play etc...
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looks like the £30 gift card I have will be useless. They seem to be out of stock of everything I want to buy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Looks like the £30 gift card I have will be useless. They seem to be out of stock of everything I want to buy.
    Just pick up a few pre-owned titles that still do well on eBay. I reckon, at worst, you could get a £20 game and sell it for £17 and a £10 game and sell it for £8. Better than losing the lot.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    Just pick up a few pre-owned titles that still do well on eBay. I reckon, at worst, you could get a £20 game and sell it for £17 and a £10 game and sell it for £8. Better than losing the lot.
    The problem is I don't have the card with me. It was actually a Christmas present I gave my brother, but he only plays the occasional game so I was going to buy it off him. So I sent him out to buy some games for me, but they were sold out of the ones I want. He probably wouldn't know what games would be worth something.

And it would be pointless me going to get the card off him because it would cost £40 to get to him.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good.

I have had a terrible experience with GAME and it's staff, maybe if they weren't such rude ****s people would go in.

Besides, CEX, BEE and off the internet e.g. PLAY.com is a lot cheaper.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    The problem is I don't have the card with me. It was actually a Christmas present I gave my brother, but he only plays the occasional game so I was going to buy it off him. So I sent him out to buy some games for me, but they were sold out of the ones I want. He probably wouldn't know what games would be worth something.

And it would be pointless me going to get the card off him because it would cost £40 to get to him.
    Get him to post it?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The decline of Game and Gamestation (Game stop in america as well) and generally all high street game shops was inevitable, they took so much money from developers through used games it'll be a breath of relief for anyone making a game once they are gone.

Still won't be for a while til they are entirely gone due to the pathetic excuse for internet the UK has, soon as the whole country has some decent internet then Game and Gamestation will be gone.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, how sad, never mind. In order to survive, they need to provide a good reason to spend money there and they have failed to do so.

Are second hand games killing the market for the big developers? I would suggest it is the quality of the product that is doing that, with a lot more interesting stuff coming out of the indie scene than Franchise 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 etc will ever provide.

People who buy future consoles which attempt to limit you to 'new' games will get what they deserve. Mind you, I also think people who buy the 'on rails tablet' aka the iPad are mad. It would help if there were a console with any prospect of significant success from a company that wasn't evil. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo (in probably decreasing order of evilness) all fail on that score.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo (in probably decreasing order of evilness) all fail on that score.
    Why are they evil? I love my PS3.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sony? Oh, where do I start?

1. They won the HD format war via a mix of bribery (paying studios to only release on Bu-ray) and their owning a studio themselves.

2. They put rootkits (deliberately concealed malware) on the PCs of people who dared to stick one of several Sony CDs in their PCs to play. Then, when found out, their attitude was effectively what people don't know about won't hurt them.

3. Warranty on much Sony kit is more or less 'You bought it, it's yours. If it breaks, buy another one.'

4. A local repair shop reckons some components on their audio gear are deliberately under spec, lasting just past the warranty.

There's much more.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    No wonder, as some other people have mentioned Amazon etc have 99% of games cheaper, and has all the same accessories/non-game video game related stuff cheaper too, and thats not even considering the massive marketplace 3rd party seller environment. If you've not adapted to the internet you're ****ed basically.

Not to mention that you can buy anything online without proof of age, as long as you have a debit/credit card. It was hell a few years ago whenever I was in having a look without my dad and saw something I wanted but ALAS it was ****ing 15/18 rated.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennifex)
    I would be very surprised if GAME/ Gamestation closed down. They are always two of the busiest shops whenever I go into town. I don't think the fact that they decided not to sell a couple of games means they are going bust.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...?newsfeed=true

Not sounding too good for them :rolleyes:
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Illuminati are taking over.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LooseLogic)
    Get him to post it?
    I'm not sure it would arrive before Game is gone

(Original post by Rarrgh)
    The decline of Game and Gamestation (Game stop in america as well) and generally all high street game shops was inevitable, they took so much money from developers through used games it'll be a breath of relief for anyone making a game once they are gone.
    I think they were a double edged sword. Sure lots of money was lost from them aggressively pushing preowned games, but they also sold a fair amount of new games. I guess it won't affect the really popular games because generally people know they want them so will buy them online. But it means there won't be anywhere for people to impulse buy games. Do people often buy games on impulse? I don't know, so maybe it's not that significant.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I think they were a double edged sword. Sure lots of money was lost from them aggressively pushing preowned games, but they also sold a fair amount of new games. I guess it won't affect the really popular games because generally people know they want them so will buy them online. But it means there won't be anywhere for people to impulse buy games. Do people often buy games on impulse? I don't know, so maybe it's not that significant.
    I must say I have always been buying on impulse a lot more now that I own steam. As when I would walk into a shop they'd be trying really hard to sell the top 10 or top 20 games, and then the rest were just whatever they had leftover. And places such as GAME and Gamestation have practically no indie games.

I currently own around 120 games and over half of them I would never been even to see in a brick and mortar store. Not only that but due to the nature of indie games being as cheap as they are places such as GAME and Gamestation would only ever sell them at a higher price than Steam or other Digital Distribution Services.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The current determination of the games industry to "force full price" makes me sad... been a gamer for near enough 20 years and, put simply, the vast majority of the games I've played and loved... I simply would never even have bought at full price. I only buy a couple of full retail price games a year. That won't change just becuase they're trying to cripple second-hand buying... in fact, it'll lose some of them my cash, and I'm sure the same goes for many others. Here's a pattern that's not been uncommon up until now:

1. Buy a second hand game on impulse becuase it's so cheap (good example: inFamous, £8)

2. Love it, play it to death.

3. See that sequel is out in a couple of months.

4. Jizz in pants.

5. Pre-order at full price.

Even better example would be the FF series... got the PSX Platinum version of FFVII for £5 in a bargain bin about 6 months before FFVIII was released; I begged my dad for the collectors edition of VIII on release day and have pre-ordered every FF since.

That won't be replaced by me randomly discovering games by buying them at full price. The new pattern will be:

1. See a game I've never heard of.

2. See a price tag of £30 - £50

3. Not buy it.

4. Never buy it.

5. Never know if I'd have enjoyed it.

6. Never buy its sequels.

So if you use the FF example, they've lost 15+ years of full price sales to a customer, for the sake of one second hand game. Not even for the cost of one full prioce game, mind... the difference to the company between "me buying second hand" and "me not buying at all" is precisely zero.

Meh. TBH I think this will probably finally kill console gaming for me. It's been more or less shelved at the moment anyway as we're in the "downhill" phase where current console tech starts to fall drastically behind even mid-range PC tech (happens every console generation after a couple of years). With PC gaming being pulled back from the abyss by digital distribution, I think I may well just abandon consoles next-gen and stick with keeping my PC up to date.

Even less difference these days TBH. Multiplat games are pretty much always getting PC releases, recent graphics cards have HDMI-out so you can plug it into the TV anyway, and Windows has 360 controller support.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.