Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Fall of GAME and Gamestation

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    The current determination of the games industry to "force full price" makes me sad... been a gamer for near enough 20 years and, put simply, the vast majority of the games I've played and loved... I simply would never even have bought at full price. I only buy a couple of full retail price games a year. That won't change just becuase they're trying to cripple second-hand buying... in fact, it'll lose some of them my cash, and I'm sure the same goes for many others. Here's a pattern that's not been uncommon up until now:

1. Buy a second hand game on impulse becuase it's so cheap (good example: inFamous, £8)

2. Love it, play it to death.

3. See that sequel is out in a couple of months.

4. Jizz in pants.

5. Pre-order at full price.

Even better example would be the FF series... got the PSX Platinum version of FFVII for £5 in a bargain bin about 6 months before FFVIII was released; I begged my dad for the collectors edition of VIII on release day and have pre-ordered every FF since.

That won't be replaced by me randomly discovering games by buying them at full price. The new pattern will be:

1. See a game I've never heard of.

2. See a price tag of £30 - £50

3. Not buy it.

4. Never buy it.

5. Never know if I'd have enjoyed it.

6. Never buy its sequels.

So if you use the FF example, they've lost 15+ years of full price sales to a customer, for the sake of one second hand game. Not even for the cost of one full prioce game, mind... the difference to the company between "me buying second hand" and "me not buying at all" is precisely zero.

Meh. TBH I think this will probably finally kill console gaming for me. It's been more or less shelved at the moment anyway as we're in the "downhill" phase where current console tech starts to fall drastically behind even mid-range PC tech (happens every console generation after a couple of years). With PC gaming being pulled back from the abyss by digital distribution, I think I may well just abandon consoles next-gen and stick with keeping my PC up to date.

Even less difference these days TBH. Multiplat games are pretty much always getting PC releases, recent graphics cards have HDMI-out so you can plug it into the TV anyway, and Windows has 360 controller support.
    Your argument is invalid when you consider that you can often buy games NEW for cheaper than second hand value in GAME if you shop around on the internet. Recent examples, I picked up Uncharted 3 for £24.95 from Zavvi the week after it came out, and Batman Arkham City (PC) + Begins and Dark Knight on blu ray for £22.95 from thehut delivered the DAY it came out.

I've plugged this site a lot, but check this frequently http://www.hotukdeals.com/gaming/deals/hot for the best deals on games so you don't get ripped off from places like GAME again.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    Your argument is invalid when you consider that you can often buy games NEW for cheaper than second hand value in GAME if you shop around on the internet. Recent examples, I picked up Uncharted 3 for £24.95 from Zavvi the week after it came out, and Batman Arkham City (PC) + Begins and Dark Knight on blu ray for £22.95 from thehut delivered the DAY it came out.

I've plugged this site a lot, but check this frequently http://www.hotukdeals.com/gaming/deals/hot for the best deals on games so you don't get ripped off from places like GAME again.
    Presumably publishers don't mind that much what prices retailers sell for, they get the same per copy either way. The only reason publishers don't like it is when games are also available digitally, because online retailers for physical copies massively undercut the digitial prices. Digital copies (on PSN/XBL anyway) are typically sold for the RRP where as retailers rarely sell for that much.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Presumably publishers don't mind that much what prices retailers sell for, they get the same per copy either way. The only reason publishers don't like it is when games are also available digitally, because online retailers for physical copies massively undercut the digitial prices. Digital copies (on PSN/XBL anyway) are typically sold for the RRP where as retailers rarely sell for that much.
    I assumed it was the other way round. The online store couldn't charge less than the physical copy because it would upset retailers if they were undercut, and (for now) physical sales are where the bulk of the market is, so the publishers need them to stay on side. Its a little different for the PC game market, as there is very little physical presence for these games anyway so that is why they have more freedom to slash prices as in the Steam sales.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have typical numbers of copies sold of games and an average cost of games and gameplay hours. i don't really know much about the gaming industry anymore since being catapulted out of it with low wages and hence no excess money to cover food let alone a console.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    The current determination of the games industry to "force full price" makes me sad... been a gamer for near enough 20 years and, put simply, the vast majority of the games I've played and loved... I simply would never even have bought at full price. I only buy a couple of full retail price games a year. That won't change just becuase they're trying to cripple second-hand buying... in fact, it'll lose some of them my cash, and I'm sure the same goes for many others. Here's a pattern that's not been uncommon up until now:

1. Buy a second hand game on impulse becuase it's so cheap (good example: inFamous, £8)

2. Love it, play it to death.

3. See that sequel is out in a couple of months.

4. Jizz in pants.

5. Pre-order at full price.

Even better example would be the FF series... got the PSX Platinum version of FFVII for £5 in a bargain bin about 6 months before FFVIII was released; I begged my dad for the collectors edition of VIII on release day and have pre-ordered every FF since.

That won't be replaced by me randomly discovering games by buying them at full price. The new pattern will be:

1. See a game I've never heard of.

2. See a price tag of £30 - £50

3. Not buy it.

4. Never buy it.

5. Never know if I'd have enjoyed it.

6. Never buy its sequels.

So if you use the FF example, they've lost 15+ years of full price sales to a customer, for the sake of one second hand game. Not even for the cost of one full prioce game, mind... the difference to the company between "me buying second hand" and "me not buying at all" is precisely zero.

Meh. TBH I think this will probably finally kill console gaming for me. It's been more or less shelved at the moment anyway as we're in the "downhill" phase where current console tech starts to fall drastically behind even mid-range PC tech (happens every console generation after a couple of years). With PC gaming being pulled back from the abyss by digital distribution, I think I may well just abandon consoles next-gen and stick with keeping my PC up to date.

Even less difference these days TBH. Multiplat games are pretty much always getting PC releases, recent graphics cards have HDMI-out so you can plug it into the TV anyway, and Windows has 360 controller support.
    Yep. It's like the lack of split screen in games has basically forced me to not to bother taking an interest, especially if there is no demo or it's a weak representation of the full game, especially if it has no online functionality. I saw split screen as a great way to get into some games that use it that I do not have. Having played Gears of War 3 I bought it and got the DLC. Then I got MW3 from launch. And then I bought second hand older copies from the series with DLC for MW2 and Blops. So even then, the publisher is benefiting from DLC purchases from a second hand buyer. I tend to buy new these days and just wait for a price drop if I'm not too bothered about it. And I'll be buying Blops 2 new when it comes out.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Oh I fully agree that the prices they sell "new" (i.e. released in the last 6 months) second hand games for is ridiculous - sometimes it's less than £5 less than they're selling the full price game for! I've seen games like CoD going for £32.99 used, sitting right next to the same game for £35.99 brand new .

I was more talking about the < £15 or even < £10 games you can buy used a few years after release (when the companies have moved onto new games / sequels anyway). I used the example of InFamous... it went unnoticed by me on release, and I picked it up on impulse when it was selling for £10. Loved it, and pre-ordered InFamous 2 at full price. I simply would never have spent, say, £20 on the original... which is what games tend to go for "new" (platinum, etc.) a few years after release.

This goes for a fairly large number of games series' I've gotten into.

It's all a bit off topic I suppose - I agree that the highstreet retailers charge too much for their used games, anyway... although that said - there are a fair few that I've picked up whilst browsing that I probably wouldn't have encountered online... when I shop online I tend to go directly to what I know I want rather than "browsing" so would probably never encountger some games... but yes, my off-topic complaint was more about the games industry's new method of "cobbling" used games by making half of the content Day 1 DLC that you get a code for with the game bought new, but have to pay £7.99 (or thereabouts) to download otherwise.

Anyway... my main point was that it's basically going to end console gaming for me... if they're going to cripple games in this way to force us to buy them at £39.99 - £49.99 then I'd rather save the cash and use it to keep my gaming PC up to date, and get the games for far less via digital distributors. In fact, even the physical copies are generally £10 less on PC.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I assumed it was the other way round. The online store couldn't charge less than the physical copy because it would upset retailers if they were undercut, and (for now) physical sales are where the bulk of the market is, so the publishers need them to stay on side. Its a little different for the PC game market, as there is very little physical presence for these games anyway so that is why they have more freedom to slash prices as in the Steam sales.
    Yes I think that's part of it too. I heard retailers like Game would refuse to stock games if they were significantly undercut by the digital prices. And look where that got them

It's probably a bit of both. Ultimately both DD platforms and physical copy retailers want to maximise their profits.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    my friend who works at one of the shops told me that they reckon that within two weeks they will either have a buyer or be in administration...
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    To me Game, Gamestation and HMV are on the brink. Tesco and Amazon must be loving this
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyde)
    Following this with interest. Both me and the husband have thought that this was coming for a long time. The Mass Effect drama seems to be the nail in GAME's coffin.

We are wondering whether Gamestop will buy them out to get a presence in the UK gaming market.
    Gamestop already have an online shop in the UK.

It would be a vicious circle though. If I remember correctly GAME bought out the old EB (electronics boutique) games stores in the UK. While Gamestop are the parent company of EB games.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://eggfriedlies.blogspot.co.uk/2...e-ing-era.html

My article regarding the decline of Game and Gamestation.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Today is the day according to those on neogaf, a head office conference is away to be held at 4
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, things sure aren't looking good...that's if they don't get a buyer.
    http://www.shoptonews.net/2012/03/20...e-gamestation/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They charge silly prices. Went in once, looked at new games - nearly died. Looked at second hand games, checked phone - on internet a new game is about half the price quite a bit cheaper than their second hand version.

They sell things for stupid money, I'm sure I saw one for £60! I'm surprised anyone ever purchased a game from one of their shops... Maybe if you had never heard of the internet
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    GAME is a joke nowadays anyway. About 90% of the store is console games
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oElectronic)
    Wow, things sure aren't looking good...that's if they don't get a buyer.
    http://www.shoptonews.net/2012/03/20...e-gamestation/
    All they're suggesting is they carry out the plan they should have carried out the moment the purchase of Gamestation went ahead. In 2007 they should have eliminated the Gamestation brand and got rid of the shops as well.

Lets face facts, as it stands the Game Group has 2-5 stores per town/city. In some cases I've heard of more and its quite frankly stupid, the problems they are having are inevitable as a result are there fault, they should have modernised after the buyout, they didn't and this was inevitable as a result.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oElectronic)
    Most of you do, or probably should know about GAME and Gamestations current financial situation.

If you don't then here's the lowdown:
    GAME pulled out from selling Mass Effect 3. Obviously the customers that preordered the game were affected. They were given a refund and told to get the game elsewhere.
    At around the same time they said they'd no longer be selling EA games after the release of SSX, which would most likely affect them hugely.
    Just the other day they said that they'd no longer be selling Street Fighter x Tekken either, so I'm guessing all the people that preordered got their money back too. EDIT: After checking up apparently GAME won't be selling any Capcom games at all from now on. So that's no more Street Fighter which will affect the fighting game fans alot, no more Devil May Cry, Resident Evil etc.
    They also said that they wouldn't be selling the upcoming game Asura's Wrath.

So I'd like to hear other people's opinions. Has any of this affected you and what do you think of the whole situation? I mean this is two of the UK's main game retailers going down here so I guess this is pretty big.
    They didn't pull out from selling, the publisher refused to supply them because of their ongoing issue of paying the publisher. The major publishers are considering the same.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    GAME is a joke nowadays anyway. About 90% of the store is console games
    Eh, it's what will rake in the most money*. The majority of the people that buy video games will be playing on console; PC gamers are outnumbered when it comes to platforms, which I guess is a shame. Although consoles made gaming accessible to people like me (limited space and limited budget) I do like the capabilities of the PC gaming.

*Although GAME is a bad example because they aren't raking in any money at all
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    They didn't pull out from selling, the publisher refused to supply them because of their ongoing issue of paying the publisher. The major publishers are considering the same.
    I know, but it's the way I worded it. Because the publishers refused to supply them they had to pull out.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Eh, it's what will rake in the most money*. The majority of the people that buy video games will be playing on console; PC gamers are outnumbered when it comes to platforms, which I guess is a shame. Although consoles made gaming accessible to people like me (limited space and limited budget) I do like the capabilities of the PC gaming.

*Although GAME is a bad example because they aren't raking in any money at all
    I remember several years ago when I was able to go there and gaze in awe at the plethora of PC games

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.