The Student Room Group

EU “Kill Bill” Ad, Racist or not?

This poll is closed

Is this EU ad racist?

Ja 39%
No61%
Total votes: 64

THE EUROPEAN UNION has withdrawn an ad supporting the bloc’s enlargement shortly after the video was launched after accusations it promoted racism.

In the video (shown below), a female character apparently modelled on Uma Thurman’s Kill Bill character is accosted by two Asian men and a black man with dreadlocks.
Unlike that film though, the female character is duplicated 11 times and the 12 female characters sit down in a ring surrounding the three men and forming the EU’s 12-star flag. The message “the more we are, the stronger we are” then appears on screen.

The Director General of the European Commission’s DG Enlargement Stefano Sannino issued an apology for any offence the ad may have caused.
In a statement, Sannino said the video promoted online through social networks had drawn “a lot of feedback” and that the martial arts “genre was chosen to attract young people and to raise their curiosity on an important EU policy”.

I think this video is 100% racist as well as disgusting and I cannot believe that this was approved in the higher echelons of the EU.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, it's implying that the EU is somehow threatened by those outside of Europe. It gives the sort of message I would expect someone like the BNP to use. Those outside are trying to get us blah blah blah.

Although I'm not sure if racism is the right word, though it is offensive.
I'm very surprised the racist/xenophobic connotations went unnoticed. :erm:
Reply 3
Original post by Aj12
Yep, it's implying that the EU is somehow threatened by those outside of Europe. It gives the sort of message I would expect someone like the BNP to use. Those outside are trying to get us blah blah blah.

Although I'm not sure if racism is the right word, though it is offensive.

I think its racism, not only because its playing on stereotypes with the Chinese/Indian, but also you are specifically attacking Asians and Africans. Maybe its just my experience, when I was in Austria they seemed to love both North and South Americans as well as Australians..but Africans and Asians?..They disliked them and so I think its a racism.

Im very very surprised that the EU would approve this, as you said I was expecting this sort of rhetoric from the BNP..not the European Union
Reply 4
There's no implication of 'they're out to get us', or anything remotely racist about that advert. It shows how conflicts between different cultures are given a peaceful medium in the EU to talk things out - that diplomacy can win out, no matter what the cultural differences.
It's not racist. I like it.
Reply 6
Original post by miser
There's no implication of 'they're out to get us', or anything remotely racist about that advert. It shows how conflicts between different cultures are given a peaceful medium in the EU to talk things out - that diplomacy can win out, no matter what the cultural differences.

.....Apart from the fact that they were ready to attack the woman?..Or else why have a sword, a kung fu (master) and a black guy in that pose?

If you want to talk about enlargement and how different cultures can communicate with each other, there are better ways of doing that.

It doesnt help when you have an anti-immigrant rhetoric manifesting in Europe at present, for example with the French President saying that there are too many immigrants etc...
Reply 7
Wow.

That was a serious ad? I had a chuckle.
Original post by jakemittle
I think its racism, not only because its playing on stereotypes with the Chinese/Indian, but also you are specifically attacking Asians and Africans. Maybe its just my experience, when I was in Austria they seemed to love both North and South Americans as well as Australians..but Africans and Asians?..They disliked them and so I think its a racism.

Im very very surprised that the EU would approve this, as you said I was expecting this sort of rhetoric from the BNP..not the European Union

It's implying that the Africans, Indians and Chinese will gang up on Europe and try to invade/attack it. This is a nonsense of coursebut I do agree with the notion that the EU can better negotiate trading agreements with China and Russia then if it were simply left to individual states like Britain who would be in a far weaker bargaining position.
Reply 9
Surprised a little french guy didn't come in and stab her in the back
(edited 12 years ago)

I don't understand how an advert campaigning for EU enlargement - and therefore the admission of Turkey - a partially Asian and mostly Muslim country - could possibly be "racist".

Inappropriate? Yes.
Utterly pointless? Yes. (I personally had no idea what it was trying to say)
Racist? How exactly?
Reply 11
Original post by Brutal Honesty
It's implying that the Africans, Indians and Chinese will gang up on Europe and try to invade/attack it. This is a nonsense of coursebut I do agree with the notion that the EU can better negotiate trading agreements with China and Russia then if it were simply left to individual states like Britain who would be in a far weaker bargaining position.

But surely if you want to talk about competitiveness, there are better ways in which to do it?
The most offensive thing is that they're spending money on this ****.
Reply 13
Original post by callum9999
I don't understand how an advert campaigning for EU enlargement - and therefore the admission of Turkey - a partially Asian and mostly Muslim country - could possibly be "racist".

Inappropriate? Yes.
Utterly pointless? Yes. (I personally had no idea what it was trying to say)
Racist? How exactly?

You have a Chinese (who is posed as a kung fu fighter), an Indian (not sure what they were doing with him levitating) and an African (or someone with African decent - could be South American..no idea) attacking a white woman who then duplicates into the stars of the EU around them, the ad finishes with the stronger we are the more with are..and you dont find that racist?

I agree with you that it is an inappropriate ad and its pointless, but I also think there are racist connotations and you cant deny that the right, neo-Nazis and Xenophobes will use this to say..see..we must "defend" ourselves against these people, no?
But surely if you want to talk about competitiveness, there are better ways in which to do it?

Yes this ad looks cheap as hell as well how much is the budget for the EU? I think it may be targeted to the more backwards areas of Europe which are in the process of joining. They tend to be more racist and it'd go down well there. It's also aimed at placating the xenophobic/racist element which is quite big in Western Europe who are anti-EU by saying this is a form of defense against even worse people. It should be noted though that a lot of people in North/West Europe don't actually like Eastern European migrants so this is a way of pandering to xenophobes by distracting them with fictional concerns of the very worst potentially taking over.
I liked it. She's tremendously goodlooking.

Also that black bloke was impressively gymnastic, wasn't he?
You have a Chinese (who is posed as a kung fu fighter), an Indian (not sure what they were doing with him levitating) and an African (or someone with African decent - could be South American..no idea) attacking a white woman who then duplicates into the stars of the EU around them, the ad finishes with the stronger we are the more with are..and you dont find that racist?

I agree with you that it is an inappropriate ad and its pointless, but I also think there are racist connotations and you cant deny that the right, neo-Nazis and Xenophobes will use this to say..see..we must "defend" ourselves against these people, no?
Hindu gurus that have mastered their spiritualism are said to achieve the ability to levitate.
Reply 17
Original post by whyumadtho
Hindu gurus that have mastered their spiritualism are said to achieve the ability to levitate.

Ah okay thanks for that :biggrin:
Original post by cambio wechsel
I liked it. She's tremendously goodlooking.

Also that black bloke was impressively gymnastic, wasn't he?

Someone is easily pleased.
Reply 19
When playing cards with politics, people usually like to throw the 'Racist' or 'Sexist' trap card.

Look, if there were two vandalising gangs of scumbags, one all white, one all black. If we call the first gang scumbags, most would agree with us. If we called the second group scumbags, we'd be terribly racist.. *sigh* It's all about the perspective.

"I'm not being racist, you're actually a douche" - Please note that there's a difference between not liking someone's personality, and not liking the colour of someone's skin.

Back on topic, the video isn't racist. It's just that Kill Bill didn't have many caucasian martial artists, do you all hate Kill Bill too now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending