The Student Room Group

Exchange, National University of Singapore vs. Tsinghua University

Hi mates,

I have to choice whether I should study one term at National University of Singapore or hat Tsinghua University in Beijing.

NUS is better in rankings, but as China is rising and Tsinghua is one of the best univeristes in China it might pay off to study there?

best regards,
latteuht
Reply 1
Original post by latteuht
Hi mates,

I have to choice whether I should study one term at National University of Singapore or hat Tsinghua University in Beijing.

NUS is better in rankings, but as China is rising and Tsinghua is one of the best univeristes in China it might pay off to study there?

best regards,
latteuht

just an exchange, go somewhere you prefer in terms of FUN. i'd say NUS, food's good, place's safe, people nice, mostly english speaking
My GF did a term at NUS and she absolutely loved it. I visited her for a week and I have to say Singapore blew my mind. NUS is a great school with an awesome campus and Singapore is one of the best places I have ever visited. The people are amazing, the food is the best, the culture is wonderful. I can't say enough good things about Singapore. You have the best of both worlds as well. You can do city stuff, but there are also many outdoors types of things to do.

Really really cool. You are lucky!

One thing you may need to consider is that living in Singapore for a term may be more expensive than living in China for a term. I don't know if this is a fact, I am just speculating based on no prior knowledge.
Reply 3
In addition to what has already been said, the people you will meet and the contacts you are likely to make studying at NUS will be far more valuable and interesting than the equivalent at a Chinese university. Not only is the university itself a melting pot of cultures and nationalities, Singapore as a whole is vibrant and metropolitan as it gets. Overall, you will gain a holistically enriching experience. ps I am from Singapore. just my two cents partner
Reply 4
Singapore. You will have a much better time there, in my opinion.
Reply 5
I've just been on exchange to Tsinghua University and I had an amazing time. Tsinghua is a great school and I have met some extraordinary people and interesting teachers. However, there's such a big language gap that it's hard to connect with locals and it makes regular life not easy if you can't speak mandarin at all. Additionally I left a few months early in my home country to travel a bit in China and afterwards I actually also didn't go home immediately to travel some further through Asia, which was so great. If you have to possibility to do such thing, do it, regardless which university you'll choose.

As I am heading to a masters in finance, the courses I was able to follow in Tsinghua were a perfect fit. So that's a thing to consider if there's any differences in that subject. But I too think that culturally and socially you'd gain more from going to Singapore. Academically you can't go wrong with Tsinghua and you probably also have lessons from the MBA, which is equally enriching for professional purposes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending