Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to you put lyrics to music?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have alot of made up guitar stuff which id love to make into actual songs but its difficult to make up lyrics which go with it :/ does anyone have any techniques?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to explain but try and find out what mood the song is. For example, if it has a lamenting tone (like a ballad), upbeat tone etc.
    Then try and figure out words that gel together, that fit the rhythm and mood of the song.
    Or count the beats of the music and slot in any random words so at least you have a melody and know how many beats per line you need and go from there.
    If you're writing a song that's personal to you, an expression of your heart, I know it sounds like such a cliche but just put all your emotions from your heart and see which words you come out with.

It's difficult to explain! Sorry if none of this makes sense to you at all. I just didn't really know how else to put it! It is such a difficult thing to do!

Good Luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    writing lyrics can be incredibly frustrating. i find myself spending weeks, even months at a time getting nowhere. i think it's important not to rush it, and be patient. inspiration will eventually come.
    also, a rhyming dictionary can be invaluable. you can use online ones for free - i usually use one called RhymeZone.
    i find it really helpful if as soon as i get an idea for a song, whether it's lyrics or chords, or even just a topic i want to write about, if i get a piece of paper or a notebook (preferably bigger, like A4), and jot down absolutely everything that comes into my head. then you have a solid foundation to work on later, and you can kind of piece your ideas together, almost like a jigsaw. also, if you have a sheet of paper with loads of ideas just scribbled all over it, like lyrics, chord charts or whatever, it looks really creative, which i think helps, haha!
    recently, i discovered that i like writing lyrics in a cafe. the prospect of writing lyrics seems much easier when you're halfway through a latte! the downside of this, of course, is that i can't bring my guitar in, but i find the atmosphere very helpful for writing lyrics.
    i hope this was helpful! writing lyrics is really difficult, but really good fun and rewarding. good luck, and enjoy!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 18, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.