The Student Room Group

FOOD AND DRINK: The Yin and Yang, of THAT FOODIE THANG!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
YIN: There's a huge more variety; from chocolate to dark to peanut butter to white fudge. Moreover AMERICAN STYLE PORTION BAGS (ie, forklift required). Also, they're the real deal; Pretzel Flipz have an incredibly addictive coating regardless of flavour that would actually be delicious on it's own; something the M&S ones cannot echo, due to their far more muted, simple "own brandy" chocolate flavour; the pretzel element is bigger and with a maltier crunch. what I mean is, Pretzel Flipz have mastered each solitary element, the Marks and Sparks ones rely on the flavour combo of their components TOGETHER to rock the socks.

YANG: My Scottish wallet, she weeps when price tags are spied!! Pretzel Flipz might be discontinued here in the UK but buying imports could effectively be a GREATER evil in that, I crave them dearly, but... my wallet gets SO DAMNED LIGHT after their purchase. Also if the PRETZEL PANG hits, and you're at the mercy of your surroundings, you know fine well that if you're in London or John o' Groats, there will be a Marks and Sparks - Cybercandy, Mr Simms or Amerikandy, not so much...

YIN AND YANG OF THE MCCHICKEN SANDWICH OVER CHICKEN MAYO AT MCDONALDS?
Reply 521
Nobody biting here, so I'll change to...

What are the YIN AND YANG OF:

CHOOSING STARTER INSTEAD OF DESSERT IN A 2 COURSE MEAL?

Reply 522
Yin: A good restaurant will take a while to cook the mains, so what a great way to occupy your time by indulging in some light foods. Appetisers can be quite distinct and tantallising in their own right ranging from bhajis to samosas to pakoras to sheek kebabs at Indian restaurants. Also, if like me you're not one for fancy restaurant desserts then you're not gonna miss them.

Yang: You don't want your appetite signifcantly reduced by the time you tuck into the mains which is a dilemna with starters. A combo of Naan bread, poppadum and a samaso with table condiments can partly devalue the arrival of the all important main dish. Also, if you're having meat as a main course, it's nuts to have some form of meaty starter (sheek kebab before a curry!)

Yin and Yang of SELF SERVICE FRYUPS I.E. AT WORK CANTEENS
Reply 523
YIN: I WANT SEVENTEEN SASSIDGES! DONE!! freedom and flexibility for a set price, usually, to opt for as little or many of each thing as you want. Also, the excitement you get every time having forgotten "toast doesn't count as one of yer eight items, ye get that anyway." RESULT!!

YANG: SCRAMBLED EGG, U SOOOOOO DRY! Being behind that one guy that takes ALL 7 REMAINING HASH BROWNS... EFF YOU BRAH. Finally... The agonising decision when you're informed "you've got one left to pick". Aaargh!!

YIN AND YANG OF... AERO OVER WISPA?
Yin: There is more variation with aero, mint aero for example. Also, aero bubbles, aero bubbly. I find they gave bigger air bubbles, giving it a slightly lighter feel/taste. The chocolate isn't as thick so it's easier to have in bits and letting it melt on your tongue, also, it's easier to divide into chunks. IF YOU IGNORE THE STOOOOPID NEW DESIGN. Oh and Aero mousse are amazing.

Yang: I actually prefer the taste of wispa. It's STRONGER, despite the wimpy "whisper" sounding name. It doesn't melt as quickly, meaning the taste is prolonged. Also, Wispa gold is like a thousand times better than Aero mint or Aero orange. Aero is nestle, which is NEVER gonna be as good as a Cadbury chocolate. All in all. Wispa wins.

Yin and yang of QUORN MINCE over beef mince?
Reply 525
Yin: More nutritious and counts as a non veg meal whilst attemting to replicate the real thing.

Yang: Annoying Biscuitsy texture immediately makes one aware that this is not beef mince (as oppossed to their southern burgers which aesthetically smack of chicken burgers). Taste confirms this, altogether quorn mince was motivated by good intentions but fails.

Yin and Yang of having a few pints at lunch, so you're feeling some effect, then returning to normal duties at work/uni etc
Reply 526
YIN: I'm working, but I'm a bit floaty. WHY DID I NOT NOTICE THIS IN MAYA BEFORE? *giggle*, I'm guna press it! *SUPER EFFICIENT TIME SAVING 3D MODELLING FUNCTION FOUND!* thank you beer, for giving me the utter disregard for ruining two weeks of 3d modelling fir the sake of a laugh and finding new functions! Moreover - you tend to, as you slump a bit from the buzz, get totally embroiled in the task at hand. IT'S 7PM ALREADY BRAH. SCORE!

YANG: BIG MEETING WITH MONTREAL BOSSES, DID YOU FORGET? *Beerbreath staggery handshake*. Realising your deadline for some graphics is 5pm and you've been playing with the calculator function and Lego men on your desk for the past two hours.

But the worst one? DOUBLE BUZZ. I'm the kind of guy who does two or three then quits anyway, so drinking so early means by the time I get home , I might fancy one again. But it's the SECOND buzz that KOs you after you've sobered up!

YIN AND YANG OF: SOFT BOILED OVER HARD BOILED EGGS?
Reply 527
YIN: Dippy soliders! They aren't then running into a wall of hard yellow disaster, they are slowly dipped into a soft yellow lagoon. No kid likes a non dippy dippy egg. It's a sad sad sight.

YANG: You can't put a soft boiled egg in a salad, and every tuna salad seems to wanna put an egg in there (kinda ruins it for me, but hey). Plus, soft boiled eggs are a tad messy, and fussy people (like my sister) end up leaving all the white egg part after they're had the yolk..(enter pun referring to Bugs Bunny's 'That's all folks' line). FOOD WASTAGE.

YIN AND YANG OF: RED APPLES OVER GREEN
Reply 528
YIN: To me, there are enough green fruits. PEARS. KIWIS. WATERMELONS. LIMES. Minus berries, RED FRUITS NEED REPRESENTIN' YO.
Secondly, their names are WAY sexier for me. PINK LADY IS SEXIER THAN GRANNY SMITH. I LOVE PACIFIC ROSE MORE THAN...COX. (fnarrz)

YANG: Actually, all "pure blood" non-"Halfbreed" apples (one colour instead of multi) are inexplicably more expensive. The wee bit-o-both Braeburn is DIRT cheap! Also, when eating a red apple it's harder to see big bruises than on a green one. Dani, doing this one has extended my nitpickery to new lengths.

YIN AND YANG OF:

DUNKING A RICH TEA IN HOT DRINKS VERSUS NOT?
Reply 529
Is that your nail varnish, Toto? Lovely colour! :tongue:

Yin: What are the Yangs of Rich Tea on their own? Dry? A bit bland and boring? Both solved! You end up with a moist Rich Tea infused with your favourite hot drink!

Yang: Rich Tea breaking off and ending up in the bottom of the mug. Rich Tea breaking off and ending up all down your top or in your lap. If your hot drink of choice is hot juice... orange-flavoured Rich Tea? Blackcurrant-flavoured? Na ta.

Yin and yang of... sparkling water instead of still?
Reply 530
Yin: Flavoured sparkling water can be lovely, especially the like 40p bottles you get from Tesco. Good value and tasty. In regards to plain sparkling water, it can be a nice change to plain flat water, if you have it with ice and maybe a lemon I find it takes the edge off the weird taste sparkling water has and can be quite enjoyable.

Yang: sparkling water tastes funny. It's not easy to drink like plain water, you have to almost be prepared for the taster. Brace yourselves chaps, this is gonna be weird. Also it's not as refreshing as plain flat water. And warm sparkling water from being in a warm car too long? NOT pleasant. Trust me.

Yin and yang of fruity gum?
Original post by Renacata
Is that your nail varnish, Toto? Lovely colour! :tongue:

Yin: What are the Yangs of Rich Tea on their own? Dry? A bit bland and boring? Both solved! You end up with a moist Rich Tea infused with your favourite hot drink!

Yang: Rich Tea breaking off and ending up in the bottom of the mug. Rich Tea breaking off and ending up all down your top or in your lap. If your hot drink of choice is hot juice... orange-flavoured Rich Tea? Blackcurrant-flavoured? Na ta.

Yin and yang of... sparkling water instead of still?

Rep for A) the nail varnish jibe, simple yet effective. Hilarious. B) Being brave enough to say moist.
Reply 532
Original post by MelissaJayne
Rep for A) the nail varnish jibe, simple yet effective. Hilarious. B) Being brave enough to say moist.

Haha, I didn't even think about saying moist. What other word can be applied to food, though? 'Soggy' is reserved for when a biscuit's disintegrated through liquid, 'wet' brings to mind the kind of liquid content described in Toto's Rustler burger review (free plug: it's here), and 'damp' sounds like I'm describing either the weather or a used towel...
Reply 533
I'm going to allow your disgusting choice of words and questioning of my sexual polarity slide for the time being as you plugged my blog, you clearly have skills in taketh-away-then-giveth-ing to appease my "so long as I get the good news last" one-dimensionality.

But FRUIT GUM??

YIN: Sometimes you don't want fresh breath, but rather a fruit sweet you can't swallow. For some reason. When you begrudgingly offer gum around, people see juicy fruit and decline, letting you FEEL like you've been generous despite actually giving away nothing. Also if it's Hubba Bubba, blowing bubbles is great!

YANG: FLAVOUR TASTES LIKE TROPICAL SOAP. Extra Strawberry, Juicy Fruit, the apple-based Hubba Bubba -all taste like MEGA CHEMICAL. Also, chew me one, flavour time! Chew me twice, awww. Nada. FLAVOUR-B-GONE. Having breath that smells like claires accessories lip gloss for tweens. Trying to blow a bubble and accidentally"ptchoo"ing your gum out.

YIN AND YANG OF BUYING MINIATURE HEROES OVER CELEBRATIONS?
Reply 534
YIN: Creme Egg Twisted, Dairy Milk, Dairy Milk Caramel, Eclairs, Fudge, Twirl. It's not terrible now is it. You got ya plain choccies, your hard choccies, and your soft ones. There's basically something for everyone. Plus, they're called HEROES, and I mean that trumps any 'celebrations' any time. They also look slightly more impressive I think. the dark purple is more striking, and more fun.

YANG: Crunchie, Dairy Milk Whole Nut, Dream, Flake, Fuse, Picnic, Time Out, Bournville, Nuts about Caramel R.I.P you beautiful fallen soliders. Heroes seems to be getting more and more limited, one day we'll open the box to find a whole bunch of Dairy Milk and a lone Fudge. Celebrations, however, don't subject us to this torment; all we've lost is Galaxy Truffle and Topic. We still have a whole variety to pick from, be it a Malteser, a Snickers, a Bounty etc. They're all DIFFERENT. With Heroes it's like oh, a plain Dairy Milk or a Twirl. Wait, aren't they just the same chocolate but one is flakey? I see though you. You ain't no Heroes, you're just a loser dressed up in spandex.

YIN AND YANG OF KIT KAT OVER PENGUIN
YIN: Two fingers are better than one. Giggity. Kit Kat has more elements to it that I can kinda go at one by one, the thicker chocolate end, the wafer bit, the creme bit. Plus, I adore dark chocolate kit kats; with pengiuns I only really like the original.

YANG: CHOCOLATE WITH A FREE FACT OR JOKE? Genius. They're pretty immense for dunking into tea, and also pretty good at holding themselves together. The chocolate biscuit is a totally one-off taste, I can't think of anything in comparison with it. They're fun and full of nostalgia. MARCH OF THE PENGUINS!

Yin and yang of hospital food?
Reply 536
YIN: The FUN OF THE TICK-CARDS. Am I the only one who finds them SUPER SATISFYING? Picking daft combos. "Pick two from column one and one from column two" it says, so I have MINCE AND CHIPS AND BAKED POTATO. HAW HAW. Plus BREAKFAST IN BED. AND... LUNCH IN BED. AND DINNER IN BED. Finally, the AWESOME "VOILA!" tray!! You know the one:

YANG: VOILA!! And... oh. Looks... sweaty. "There wasn't any of your choice so we got you an alternative which is in no way like your original thing". Also being in that STUPID WARD where the meal times are mental. DINNER TIME, 3.30pm!! Finally, the orange. You know, the orange. THE ORANGE ON THE MENU NOBODY PICKS.

YIN AND YANG OF:

EATING CAULIFLOWER WITHOUT CHEESE SAUCE?

Reply 537
Wait, people actually do that?!

YIN: Healthy healthy healthy. Cheese is like a fat-fest. If you're watching your weight, cheese sauce over your cauliflower isn't a good choice. It's humorous to say the least when people think they're being healthy having their veg and it's actually laden with cheese. N'aw you naive chubby person you. Let's go Mcd's and get a big Mac and a diet Coke after yeah? Also, sometimes cheesy cauliflower isn't right in a meal. You need plain veg else the balance of the dish gets destroyed.

YANG: CHEESE ON MA VEG. Do it. Cauliflower can be quite tasteless and bland, but whack on that cheese and BOOM. Cauliflower just got awesome. Plus, with a roast, it just adds another dimension that was left unfilled previously. I prefer it to broccoli cheese, I'm not sure why, I just do. I think its the colour. And at the Carvery, they dust Cauli-cheese with paprika, and it's like amazing. Toby does it right. But Tesco ain't far behind!

YIN AND YANG OF GLAZED AS OPPOSED TO ICED DOUGHNUTS
YIN: Glazing makes the doughnuts look kinda, glossy and glamorous. Like, yeah, we're sexy and we know it. Plus, icing can get sickly, whereas I think a glaze just enhances taste/texture without actually overwhelming the donut. Plus, icing is over sweet - it gives me like, a sugar headache.

YANG: But the icing is so COLOURFUL. I was always the kid who picked the pink doughnut, just because it's pink. And I'd carefully plough for a pack of party rings to find all the pretty iced patterns I liked best. Icing also gives that satisfying "stick to your fingers so you can eat it off after" feeling. Or gives you something to pick at, if you're more of a grazer like me.

Yin and yang of TWO COURSE MEALS
Reply 539
YIN: AH'M HAWNGRAY. And one course is for GIRLS. And as a MAN, I only like MEN. Or...er.. or something. Secondly, you get to follow Savoury Sally... with SWEET SUE! Two courses means you can get pudding involved in the show, always a good deal. And when three courses or even FIVE courses seems too much, you still get to retain MAN POINTS.

YANG: STARTER OR PUDDING? WHA? I HAVE TO CHOOSE?! MOTHER EFFER! Although I can't see the starter as the choosable option, it's still another choice. Also, with these two-course meal set deals, there's ALWAYS a catch. "Yeah, but you can only choose from the budget mains in that deal". Dick. Finally, if everyone chose Starter and you chose DESSERT, then prepare to SALIVATE AWKWARDLY as they eat starters, and then watch as they grumble at how good your pudding looks as they have none. JOEY DOESN'T SHARE FOOD. YOU MADE YOUR CHOICE, YOU HAD ****TY SOUP. NOW BOW DOWN TO THE FUDGE CAKE. Okay, you can have ONE WEE BIT... JUST STOP STARING.

YIN AND YANG OF:

JAFFA CAKES INSTEAD OF A BISCUIT

Quick Reply

Latest