The Student Room Group

FOOD AND DRINK: The Yin and Yang, of THAT FOODIE THANG!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
DOUBLE PUN DANI!! That's your new name. Sahara Dessert? And it's also a... PLAIN!! HOHO!

YIN: Crunchier than diamonds, they ACTUALLY do that noise that Pringles do in the Pringle advert but refuse to do in reality. They're flavourful beyond words, and the plainer flavours really shine due to the dark, oaky caramelised flavour of the crisps themselves.

YANG: Why are they so dark, crunchy and oily? Ah, comes at a cost- they're faaaar fattier than even the heartiest of "normal crisps" being steeped for so long, and as such they're REALLY bad for you. Moreover, the price is a "damned if ye do, damned if ye don't" deal. At full rrp they're pretty pricey. But when they're on offer, buy one get one free, you buy a ton and end up eating waaay too much; one "share bag" is the same as eating an entire multipack of Pom Bears or Walkers Baked in calories, but EVEN MORE in fat! Ulps.

YIN AND YANG OF VEGETABLE CURRY?
Yin: Sin free curry. I sometimes automatically assume curries have to be unhealthy but WAIT this is curry and a few on my five a day? Then giv'us a second serving! Plus, veg has great flavour and variety. Can have a mix of crunchy ones, soft ones etc. And it's colourful.

Yang: Ok, this curry is great..but there's something missing? It's the meat! That chewy protein, it just COMPLETES a dish. Sorry veggies. And you still pay like the same price for it, even though it's clearly cheaper to make. Sly ones.

yin and yang of cadbury snaps?
Reply 562
You know, I actually never factored in before that veggies pay about the same price for a waaaay cheaper meal. Seems trivial but utterly true!

Anyway, YIN:
Cadburys chocolate in super-quick, thin melty flat buttons?? Yes please!! Making "Pringle sandwiches"; two salted Pringles with a Snap "filling". Disturbingly good. One of the few truly good MILK chocolate and mint products; mint usually only stands up with dark choccy.

YANG: Discontinued, though you get far tastier "no brand" ones from Poundies and B&M. They were a very expensive novelty indeed with loads of wasteful packaging (really, box, topper, tray AND wrapper?!). Didn't actually "snap". Melty in the mouth... And FINGERS. CONSUME IN NANOSECONDS. DO NOT GIVE TO TODDLERS NEAR CREAM CARPETS OR CHURCH CLOTHING.

YIN AND YANG OF GREGGS STEAK/CHICKEN BAKES?
There is no greggs in Northern Ireland :/ bad times..

Of Nando's?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 564
Sinead, if you're going to bump, at least bump it by TRYING. I'm going to defiantly not do yours. *huff*
Reply 565
Yin: It's a fairly safe option for a restaurant meal with a menu that contains mainstream foods like chicken and chips and so on. Unlimited refills is a plus and from my experience of ONE nandos they have SLICK interior design.

Yang: It doesn't offer any thing distinguished apart from maybe their peri peri sauce although even that is avaiable from other outlets now. Thier food is nothing to rave about imo and certaintly overpriced. I consider nandos a boring and formal version of kfc and really don't see where all the nandos fanfare derives from. You will get more tantallising chicken and chips from a typical chipper for half the price.

Yin and Yang of SALAD BARS IN SUPERMARKETS
Reply 566
YIN: Choose what you want, and by what ratio (and by that, I mean, you want a salad SCOTLAND STYLE, IE no veg- it's yours!!). You get a wide varieties of greens, dressing, proteins and pasta. You get to do that thing where you literally FORCE it full until every ATOM of free space in the provided tub is filled... Crafty lad, getting yer moneys worth!!

YANG: You are in the unfortunate realm of DIY; Lazy sods, go home. Also, buffet style means sneezeguards are no assurance of perfect cleanliness; fudge-fingered-Franklin could have manhandled the coleslaw. Finally, you may find by choosing a tub full of pasta, mayo and potato salad, you've kinda rendered the concept of "salad" moot...

YIN AND YANG OF: LOWER FAT YOGHURTS?
Reply 567
YIN: They taste identical to the regular yoghurts yet possess less naughtyness.

YANG: How unmasculine to be seen eating one! (I struggled here :tongue:)

YIN and YANG of the moments leading up to your fast food takeaway being delivered
Reply 568
YIN: Your anticipation heightens greatly as you imagine how yum your curry is going to be. You have time to get plates and cutlery ready, like a ritualistic place-setting of sorts. You learn to appreciate how long 30 minutes actually is.

YANG: Starting to eat your own arm. Fretting; did I order everything?! Did I make sure I said "with onion"? Did I remember Rob's "Extra chips"? Having to watch whatever Ant and Dec nonsense is on doesn't make time pass any quicker - it LENGTHENS your wait.

THE YIN AND YANG OF....

HAVING A CUP OF TEA WITHOUT ANY KIND OF FOOD ACCOMPANIMENT
Reply 569
YIN: If we're talking Peppermint Tea (hey, all you said was tea!), I love a nice Peppermint tea in the morning or evening. Or if I'm out for 'coffee' with someone, and not being a coffee drinker I order Peppermint Tea. 2/3 sweeteners if possible :wink: In terms of breakfast tea, it can be nice and refreshing as a drink on a cold day as a way to warm yourself up. Also, it means no crumbs in your tea, and no danger of half a biscuit falling in. Plus you have the food item you would have eaten with it left over to enjoy later.

YANG: Breakfast Tea (or a similar substitute) almost cries out for an accompaniment. It's like duuuude, where's my biscuit buddddyy?! So you owe it to your brew. If you don't, it's just a crime. A food accompaniment with your tea just adds to the enjoyment, so not doing it is just silly.

YIN AND YANG OF THICK CHOCOLATE COATING ON FOOD? (e.g. Kit Kat Chunky coating etc)
Reply 570
YIN: It's chocolate. Chocolate=awesome. Thick chocolate = more chocolate = more awesome.
A heartier treat means I don't end up doing the "I'll kill my craving with a Freddo"..."craving remains, another Freddo... OH WELL, I'LL JUST HAVE FIVE FREDDOS" thing (no shame in it, we've all been there). Also super thick chocolate bixies (see M&S Extremely Chocolatey Shortcake Rounds) become exceptionally resilient to tea dunking, a rare quality in a pure chocolate biscuit.

YANG: If the interior is enticing it promotes CHOC CRUNCHING, a practice I abhor (you're RUINING IT!!). More delicate tasting fillings can be overpowered, especially if it's a thick bitter dark or saccharin deathsweet white chocolate. Giving thicker chocolate to toddlers is akin to giving a bigger bomb to a terrorist.

YIN AND YANG OF EATING A HEARTY BOWL OF SOUP BEFORE AN ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET?
Reply 571
YIN: You are less of a ravenous shark, more of a gentle gazelle. You're not like GIVE ME FOOOOD, it's more relaxed and you can actually appreciate what you're eating. And plus, soup can be a really nice starter, provided its not that cream of rubbish. Cream of mushroom? Oh HELL no.

YANG: Soup? At a buffet? Oh no no, I paid to stuff myself FULL damn it and I'm no soup slurpin sucka! I'm getting ma monies worth! I was proper food, I can easily make soup at home, even from scratch it's not challenging. It might be tasty on the odd occasion, but if I'm dining out at a all you can eat buffet, I want just that, to EAT, not DRINK. Save the soup for home.

YIN AND YANG OF PEANUT BUTTER CUPS OVER CHOCOLATE COVERED PRETZELS
Reply 572
Buffet Gazelle. I love it. I love everything about that concept.

PBCUPZZ OVER PRETZALZ:

YIN: Far, far less chance of you just scarfing them down like a psychotic confection wolf, the richer, fudgier texture means they require a bit more restraint. A smaller portion usually does you.

YANG: INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED?! WHAT IS THIS ROADBLOCK TO OBESITY I FACE?!?! Sometimes you just want FOOD TO FACE. Moreover, Peanut Butter can become cloying, whilst pretzels are almost unstoppably addictivetastic. Also peanut butter cups are a crappy normal shape. Pretzels are all BENDY WENDY TWISTY WISTY MEGA CHOCO LOTTISTIC!

YIN AND YANG OF: OPTING FOR GALAXY OVER DAIRY MILK?
Yin: It has that delicious sweet melt, making you just want MOOORERRR AND MORER. Cookie crumble, hazelnut, caramel; they are all decent options. Whereas I find when they start messing about with dazza melk, they ruin it a bit.

Yang: What are you, some kind of chocolate terrorist? Dairy Milk is tradition, it's CLASSIC! It is utterly unique and special in it's taste/flavour - even other Cadbury chocolate doesn't get the dairy milk recipe. It doesn't try to be anything it's not, it doesn't have to. I'm purple, I'm plain, my taste will drive you insane I'm dairrrrrrrrrrry milk.

yin and yang of cheese on it's own rather than being paired up
Reply 574
YIN: Cheese is a pungent, powerful taste, and as such, it really doesn't NEED a buddy. It's the loner that drinks straight whisky in a bar wearing a trenchcoat. Everyone JUST KNOWS.

"Just Cheese" sandwiches are the ultimate, alongside "Just Ham" and "Just Egg" as the mega-cheapiest of supermarket sandwiches.

You get to look like a posh aficionado; "I'm eating bits of cheese and considering the flavours. I do not mar my tastebuds with impurity". *SNORT*

YANG:Texturally, it's like.... stodge. That's all it is. Crunch? Chew? Sweetness? NAH. NOT HERE MATE.

There's a reason why Cheese and Onion Crisps remain whilst Walkers Cheddar Cheese was discontinued. ONION LOVES CHEESE.

Imagine Cheese on Toast sans toast. That would be a bit of a painful-to-eat mess.

YIN AND YANG OF: SCRAMBLED EGG DONE NOT IN A PAN, BUT IN THE MICROWAVE
Reply 575
Yin: DING! It's done! It takes no time at all, and there's half the amount if effort requires for pan scram(bled egg). You just whip it up in a bowl and press a few buttons and like magic it's just...there! All fluffy and ready for you to consume. Reminds me just slightly of space/futuristic movies where they press a button and a whole meal appears outta nowhere. Magic mealllly!

Yang: Hm, you SURE this thing's cooked? I'm not gonna like die or something am I? Plus, microwaving just doesn't feel like proper cooking, and for some reason - be it psychological or actual - it just doesn't taste as good. You can also make bacon while you fry, ain't no bacon buddy addition to your micro egg. Unless you enjoy food poisoning that is... Hey, I hear some people are into that. :eek:

Yin and yang of bread over toast?
Reply 576
Yin: Bread offers a better texture for sandwiches. Toast isn't as versatile for things like mopping up the yolk. I find the crispy nature of toast can also hinder the taste of the fillings.

Yang: Bread is a lot weaker than toast, so things like buthchering the bread when buttering isn't common with toast. Also the warm nature of toast can be beneficial for melting cheese etc

Yin and Yang of Cheese and tomato pizza?
Reply 577
YIN: There is a reason why Italians call cheese, tomato and basil the "Holy Trinity"- each flavour is the perfect rock-paper-scissors symbiotic taste, perfect counters and marriages. Some regions regard it the only "TRUE authentic" pizza. It's also the cheapest pizza option, too. It is synonymous with the word "pizza"; it just works.

Also, when FUSSY FRANKIE turns up, you know even HE wont whinge about it. SAFE!!

YANG: Often lauded as "boring" (who could call rich passata and torn mozzarella "boring"?! Well, my bullish pals do, ordering chilli barbecue deep pan triple death kebab meatfeast). Being the most easy to produce it is also easiest to ABUSE. Amazing Margies are easy to find and make... But sadly the same is true of dire, tinned tomato grated cheesfood stodges.

YIN AND YANG OF: SKIPPING A MEAL?
Reply 578
Now now, what WOULD the health nuts think of that question... Tut tut :tongue:

Yin: you appreciate your next meal food like 10 times as much, it's more special and almost rewarding. You look forward to it a whole lot more, especially if your next meal is something you like. It's almost...exciting. Plus, the obvious one, you do loose weight, but it's NOT THE WAY TO DO IT. Metabolism, starvation mode, energy disadvantages BLAH BLAH. There I said it. Also, if you don't like the meal in question, skip it and you can have something better or more enjoyable later. Or snackage. Snackage is awesome. also if you have a big meal later, skipping a meal means more room for it.

Yang: I hear skipping meals ain't too great for ya, though who'da thought ey :tongue: leading to 'problems' if its made a habit, and its a vicious cycle to break. plus skipping a meal means you can regret it later when you're like STARVING and energy-less. I shoulda had that pie damnit! Also, if you skip a meal then realise you're hungry you might end up snacking out on something more unhealthy due to hunger and convenience, so what was a nutritious meal on offer has transformed into a chocolate bar and crisps. Think about it, suckers starve, eat! :smile:

Yin and yang of a big lunch and small dinner over a small lunch and big dinner
Reply 579
YIN: Since the biggest meal is ate earlier in the day there's more benefits for the rest of day than eating a LARGER MEAL in the evening (breakfast being the most important presumably dinner is the least)

YANG: Many restaurants don't open til the evening so you're not ruling out a nice epic feast.

YIN and YANG of Black pudding

Quick Reply

Latest