The Student Room Group

FOOD AND DRINK: The Yin and Yang, of THAT FOODIE THANG!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Yin: Its not only good for you, but it tastes so damn good. Just the right amount of fish taste, without being overpowering. And it tastes 'clean'.

Yang: When you get it fresh and there's a bit of shell you didnt notice. Notsonice. Also, if you get tinned crab which is shredded, it can be a bit bland and not taste of much without the right sorta seasoning.

Yin and yang of: apples
Reply 81
YIN: Repels Doctors. Tastes lovely and sweet. Makes an insanely satisfying SCRRRMMPH noise when bitten into, followed by a "cha cha cha" chewing noise regardless of how quiet you try to be. Makes awesome crumble/pies.

YANG: The most default of all the fruits. A tad laborious to eat. Is abused by being paired with Pork.

What's the Yin and Yang of: MR WHIPPY ICE CREAM?
Reply 82
Yin: It's fudging delicious.
Yang: It's like, £1.50! ):

Yin and Yang of salted popcorn?
Reply 83
Yin: Perfect snack, regardless of whether I'm at the movies or not. LOVE it.

Yang: Need..drink...NOW. Plus its so calorific and you'd never guess it. And you can get bloated quite easily if you eat too much!

Yin and yang of: Belgium waffles?
Reply 84
YIN: If home-made or of the Metcalfe's/equivalent variety, it's FAR healthier than crisps. Can be really yumzers. Does that awesome squeaky thing when you chew on it.

YANG: Unpopped kernels raping my teeth. Not as good as sweet popcorn or Metcalfe's Wasabi popcorn. If bought from a cinema, a large serving has more calories and fat than an adult male should consume in a whole day. Not overly substantial and super saltiness can cause TURBO THIRST.

YIN AND YANG OF: ROLOS?

(ninja'd, just ignore mine)
Reply 85
Sorry Toto <3 I know the Ninja's seem to be personally attacking only you recently! I'm sad to say I've now contributed... </3
Reply 86
(Belgian Waffles)

YIN: Lovely sweet malty taste. When warm, creates an epic vortex for your ice cream to be sucked into, and little hollows for your ice cream to get trapped as pockets of sexy yummage. A fairly substantial pudding!

YANG: Incredibly high in fat if traditionally made. A Dry or Claggy waffle makes for a traumatic experience. I always feel slightly disappointed when "waffles" are mentioned and it's not Birdseye Potato Waffles, the nostalgically blissful megafood (they are, after all, waffley versatile).

WHAT ARE THE YIN AND YANG OF: ROLOS?
Original post by TotoMimo
(Belgian Waffles)

YIN: Lovely sweet malty taste. When warm, creates an epic vortex for your ice cream to be sucked into, and little hollows for your ice cream to get trapped as pockets of sexy yummage. A fairly substantial pudding!

YANG: Incredibly high in fat if traditionally made. A Dry or Claggy waffle makes for a traumatic experience. I always feel slightly disappointed when "waffles" are mentioned and it's not Birdseye Potato Waffles, the nostalgically blissful megafood (they are, after all, waffley versatile).

WHAT ARE THE YIN AND YANG OF: ROLOS?

YIN: I have a love for chocolate "bars" that come in roll/mini forms so I can graze on them throughout the day, it feels like they're lasting longer. Also I love the thick chocolate base. MELT.

YANG: i kinda find myself wishing the caramel wasn't there, then I guess they'd just be cadbury choco things. Just chocolate bar caramel disappoints me.

ying and yang of: banana nut bread
Reply 88
YIN: Potassium rocks the socks. A good, moist banana bread is delicious. The illusion of being somewhat healthy

YANG: The wrong consistency will ruin it. Not ACTUALLY healthy. The entire time eating it, you think "for these calories, fat and sugar, I could be eating cake..."

What's the YIN AND YANG OF: Meringues?
YIN: Potassium rocks the socks. A good, moist banana bread is delicious. The illusion of being somewhat healthy

YANG: The wrong consistency will ruin it. Not ACTUALLY healthy. The entire time eating it, you think "for these calories, fat and sugar, I could be eating cake..."

What's the YIN AND YANG OF: Meringues?

Yin: being mainly egg white, you can kind of say they're a "healthy option" pudding. Also, paired with CREAM and STRAWBERRIES they can offer a lovely crunch. Good texture addition.

Yang: On their own they're dry and boring. They crumble like a beehatch.

Yin and Yang of: TOAST
Reply 90
Yin: Not only is it quick and easy for basically any meal, but it can be topped with just about anything, from savoury to sweet.

Yang: If you dont make it right or the toaster has been left on Satan Setting, it's ruined and you have to go through the moral dilemma of making more and wasting or making do and suffering!

Yin and yang of: Smoked salmon.
Reply 91
YIN: Intensely flavourful. Can be snacked on alone or as a topping, or even as part of a delicious pasta dish or kedgeree variant. I get to be all patriotic and big up Scottish cuisine some more.

YANG: As with most smoked foods, can be incredibly salty. You have to put up with all the infuriating intolerants in your proximity going "EW EW HOW CAN YOU EAT THAT EW SMELL IT EW LOOKS RANCID..."

What's the Yin and Yang of: CANNED TUNA IN BRINE?
Reply 92
Yin: It's quick, it's easy, it's studenty. It's good to eat from the can, or on a bit of toast, or just in a bowl with cucumber, or in a sandwich. Tuna in a tin is my saving grace.

Yang: It has the potential to STINK the kitchen out. CUE housemates going 'EW what's that smell....'

Yin and yang of: Hershey's chocolate.

(IS there a yin?!)
Reply 93
YIN: Cookies and Cream and Hershey's Symphony variants are actually awesome. "Hersheys" is a fun word to say.

YANG: Anything involving the regular chocolate tastes like baby sick. Smells like soured milk. Waxy consistency. "Hersheys", if said too much, is actually tedious.

YIN AND YANG OF: Supermarket Bakery Cookies?
Yin - the texture (that chewiness!) and the size - SO much better than biscuits. White chocolate version = omfg
Yang - the ones that're all brittle (smarties, i'm looking at you!) and just crumble and break. the disappointment! and the calories... :frown:

mocha light frappuccino?
Reply 95
Original post by *custardcream
Yin - the texture (that chewiness!) and the size - SO much better than biscuits. White chocolate version = omfg
Yang - the ones that're all brittle (smarties, i'm looking at you!) and just crumble and break. the disappointment! and the calories... :frown:

mocha light frappuccino?

Yin: C'mon. CHOCOLATE. Perfect in the summer, when you want a cooling sweet/coffee hit. And it's Light, so no need to feel too guilty.

Yang: Rubbish in the winter. If you want coffee, it's too sweet. If you don't like coffee, even a little taste will ruin your drink.

Yin and yang of...

Lemon curd!
Reply 96
YIN: Works so well in a sweet shortcrust pastry or even on toast. It's one of the few "lemon" things I will happily choose over other-fruit equivalents. You get to make up rhymes that involve the word "turd".

YANG: If it's too tart, as with all lemony things, it sucks. That weird film that's always on the top when you open the jar up. It's not Chocolate Philadelphia.

What's the YIN AND YANG OF: KINGSMILL CRUSTS AWAY BREAD!
Yin: Sometimes I like my sandwiches to look all cute and "high tea" so I cut off my crusts, this bread just makes it EAAAASY.
Yang: MY HAIRS WONT GO CURLY. plus...I like a crunchy crust on toast.

Yin and yang of: budget brand custard
Reply 98
YIN: It can be rather tasty. Cheap. You get to justify owning a tin opener (no ringpull).

YANG: Can be very thin in consistency. Doesn't help justify owning that stupid Jamie Oliver Flavour Shaker.

YIN AND YANG OF: GINGER NUT BISCUITS?
YIN: It can be rather tasty. Cheap. You get to justify owning a tin opener (no ringpull).

YANG: Can be very thin in consistency. Doesn't help justify owning that stupid Jamie Oliver Flavour Shaker.

YIN AND YANG OF: GINGER NUT BISCUITS?

Haha, good answer.

Yin: They're STURDY. Flimsy biscuits insult me. They can be eaten alone, or equally paired well with a cup of tea. And when someone asks you if you want a biscuit and you say yeah, a ginger nut..you can't help but feel like a fun, crazy, risky bastard.

Yang: They're a bit dry. They don't have chocolate in them. Sometimes ginger can be overpowering.

Yin and yang of cheese on toast

Quick Reply

Latest