The Student Room Group

FOOD AND DRINK: The Yin and Yang, of THAT FOODIE THANG!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
I could copypasta my previous answer for custard, but I'll do a unique one...

YIN: It's called "Ambrosia" for a reason, guys. Creamy, delicious pudding both alone and paired with a bit of cake/crumble! Nostalgia-blast of being back at primary school. Pour it on jelly babies to emulate Noel's House Party/Fun House.

YANG: If runny, it's the saddest thing ever. When people call it "Creme Anglais". Makes me think of General Custer, who was a dick.

What's the Yin and Yang of: THAI GREEN CURRY?
Reply 141
Yin: It has a nice, fresh flavour, and every Thai Curry I've ordered hasn't fallen foul to the Oil Monster that other curries do. It's not so spicy that it kills your mouth as other curries may too.

Yang: If not made right, it can be a tad bland, or end up looking like soup. Sometimes it can be a tiny bit too 'fruity' as well. The dish itself looks quite anaemic too.

Yin and Yang of: Onion Rings
Reply 142
Yin: They're tasty and delicious alongside dips.

Yang: Not many takeaways sell them.

Yin and Yang of Magners apple cider?
Reply 143
Yin: On a hot day, a nice cider is amazingly refreshing, and apple flavour just improves it. (so I've heard!)

Yang: Cider has a bitter flavour to it, which I personally don't enjoy it.

YIN AND YANG OF: Goulash?
Reply 144
YIN: An easy, slow-cook-forgeddaboudit-onda-stove dish. Hearty and warming for the cold auld days.

YANG: It's just stew, really... hardly pants-wetting excitement material. "Goulash" sounds too close to "Goolies".

YIN AND YANG OF: POM BEARS!
Original post by TotoMimo
YIN: An easy, slow-cook-forgeddaboudit-onda-stove dish. Hearty and warming for the cold auld days.

YANG: It's just stew, really... hardly pants-wetting excitement material. "Goulash" sounds too close to "Goolies".

YIN AND YANG OF: POM BEARS!

Yin: They're so FUN! There's something quite strange but even more so enjoyable about eating the bear arm by arm, leg by leg..

Yang: I don't rate the ready salted flavour too highly. And I can't always find them in all shops!! Oh and quite a lot of AIR in their packets.

Yin and yang of: Quorn mince
Reply 146
YIN: Tasty in it's own right! When viewed less as "meat substitute" and more as "unique product", enjoyed even more! Super versatile, easy to cook, less risk of undercooking etc as you'd find with meat. Also, the Spaghetti Bolognese Quorn advert shows me my recipe book won't shrink, but regrow instead! BONUS.

YANG: Confusing texture. Expensive for what you get. Nowhere near as flavourful as beef or lamb mince. Trying to convince your family you're not trying to convert them to some bizarre cult by cooking with it.

YIN AND YANG OF: SCOTCH EGGS?
Yin: I love almost anything with egg in it.. almost!
Yang: That inevitable bit of hard/chewy/fatty (you know what i mean!) bit of "meat" you get which just ruins the whole thing :frown:

Ice cream?
Reply 148
Yin: I love mint ice cream, even the economy supermarket stuff. In fact I find economy stuff better than luxury ice cream products. Oh, and Arctic roll :drools:

Yang: The quality of ice cream sold by ice cream vans is dire. Whenever I'm in Ireland I crave 99's so much because the ice cream is really creamy and delicious. Also, 99's are sold in corner shops in Ireland but not here.

Yin/Yang of wAGON WHEELS?
Reply 149
I think given that I was chosen by the Gods to taste-test the new edition revamped Wagon Wheels out this month I am qualified to answer this. You may now kiss my ring finger.

YIN: Mallow greatly improved. The jam is now tart and fruity, viscous but more flavourful than a Jammy Dodger's core. The biscuit has that satisfying crumbly softness that's nostalgically Tunnocks Teacakey. You get to sing "Rawhide".

YANG: The chocolate is still crap mockolate spray on nonsense. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE MY HANDS ARE JUST GETTING BIGGER. They are not the same size they were when they were released in the 70s despite what my PR woman told me. They are ineffective as REAL wagon wheels (melt, crumble, horses eat them etc).

YIN AND YANG OF: PICKLED GHERKINS?
Reply 150
YIN: In a burger, they add a delightful 'edge'. Also, if you're looking for a strong flavour, ya can't go wrong with a pickled gherkin. Plus, you can act all knowledgeable and be like, 'Hey guys, did you know this is a mini cucumber', and then smile in the knowledge you now look like one smart cookie.

YANG: If eaten raw, they can have that *face screwy, tongue out, mouth opening and shut* effect where you weren't expecting the bitterness. Plus, if you put on one a plate with chips etc, cue sad-soggy chip syndrome.

YIN AND YANG OF: Hot Cross Buns
Reply 151
YIN: At Easter, these are delicious and delightfully cheap. When you get a pocket with loads of raisins and citrus rind it's like POW FLAVOUR! Plus you get good luck if you say the traditional rhyme whilst splitting one with a friend or loved one ("Half for you and half for me, Between us two shall goodwill be"). If you turn it on it's side, the cross changes to an "X", the coolest of all the letters.

YANG: For the calories, you could be eating a cake with chocolate in it. Too much citrus can cause mouthmaul. The guilt from knowing the cross is there because Jesus died on that cross for MY SINS. Sorry mate (munch munch). Your sons apparently are only entitled to these if you have no daughters according to the nursery rhyme "One a Penny, Two a Penny, Hot Cross Buns". SEXIST.

YIN AND YANG OF: CADBURY CRUNCHIE?
Reply 152
YIN: They are delightfully sweet, and not incredibly calorific. They have that lovely 'dissolve on your tongue' feature to them and besides; who doesn't love a bit o' honeycomb!

YANG: Hm. Toughy, I love Crunchies. They can feel like you haven't really had a chocolate bar due to their lightness (take a 'Treat Size Snickers' and compare it to a 'Treat Size Crunchie'). Also they can get a bit sweet. And AH how could I forget; the inevitable 'stuck in ma teeth' syndrome!

YIN AND YANG OF: APPLE TURNOVERS
Reply 153
YIN: Unlike Apple Pie or Apple Crumble, this is totally portable! Gorgeous crunchy pastry, tart apple and super soft cream mingle alongside the dancing deliciousness on the tongue of ULTRA SWEET SUGAR GRANULES! Nummy. Being triangular (the sturdiest geometric shape) this is the HOB NOB of pastries; rigid and unlikely to fragment into oblivion.

YANG: Sometimes the sugar granules can be overwhelming and a bit of a nuisance to the teeth. Often served with SYNTH-O-CREAM(tm). One of your five fruit and veg a day, but also about 3/4 of your saturates. "Apple Turnover" is a term now less synonymous with the cake/pastry and now more associated with iPod profit margins for the fiscal year.

YIN AND YANG OF: POTATO SMILES?
Reply 154
Yin: HELLO childhood again! Memories of s'ghetti and smiley faces, or TGI's with apple slices, ribs and smileys :biggrin: plus, who doesn't love a potato that smiles at you ey?!

Yang: if made badly, they go all soggy and crap. Occasionally you get a deformed non smiley one! Also, when put on a plate with liquidy things (e.g beans) they absorb the juice and go soggy :frown: plus, they can be quite a moisture taker if eaten dry!

Yin and yang of Cinnamon Grahams?
Reply 155
YIN: An actually UNIQUE cereal; there's nothing else quite like it. It's like eating apple crumble for breakfast. Gorgeous to eat straight from the box. The residual milk is like if sex could take dairy form.

YANG: Perhaps a bit ABSURDLY sweet. The granules get everywhere. Too easy to down an entire 1500 delicious calorie box (that's WITHOUT milk!) Crap name. WHO THE HELL IS GRAHAM? WHY IS HE CINNAMON?

YIN AND YANG OF: MILKY WAY MAGIC STARS?
Original post by TotoMimo
YIN: An actually UNIQUE cereal; there's nothing else quite like it. It's like eating apple crumble for breakfast. Gorgeous to eat straight from the box. The residual milk is like if sex could take dairy form.

YANG: Perhaps a bit ABSURDLY sweet. The granules get everywhere. Too easy to down an entire 1500 delicious calorie box (that's WITHOUT milk!) Crap name. WHO THE HELL IS GRAHAM? WHY IS HE CINNAMON?

YIN AND YANG OF: MILKY WAY MAGIC STARS?

Yin: They're so cute and innocent in appearance. They remind me of childhood, I like the little dudes/dudette stars and their faces on the front. They're CHOCOLATE.

Yang: The bags are too small. Sometimes they melt too fast in my hand (probably because I spend too long playing with the little star faces)

Yin and yang of: Jalapeno peppers
Reply 157
YIN: They add a gentle kick to nachos and are a staple component on a Subway sandwich. You get to do a terrible Mexican accent whilst shouting "HHHHHALLA PENYOES!" They are one of the few products that taste equally good (though differently) in fresh, jarred, tinned or pickled formats. They are a good "baby chilli" for non-spicy lovers.

YANG: They're pretty much child's play in the spicy stakes and don't do much for me any more (I've been spoiled by Bhut Jolokias now). Those kids that go "DARE ME TO EAT THIS!" like it's some kind of feat - DARE ME TO DRINK THIS TEPID TEA?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 158
Yin and yang of muller rice?
Yin: It has nice varieties which you can have hot or cold. It's easy, no cooking involved. It's tasty!! Not TOO unhealthy, you can get very very creamy thick rice pudding. and I LOVE rice pudding.

Yang: I secretly wish the pots were bigger, I always want a 2nd pot. It's not quite the same as the proper stuff. Don't rate it cold.

Yin and yang of: fishcakes

Quick Reply

Latest