The Student Room Group

FOOD AND DRINK: The Yin and Yang, of THAT FOODIE THANG!

In this food thread, we find perfect balance. The universal centre point in the foodie universe.

For in this thread we find the Yin and Yang in everything. The Good and Bad of food. No matter how delicious a food is, it has a flaw. No matter how dire, it has something to compliment. Only a fool is incapable of finding the Yin or Yang in something!

For example, I adore Tandoori Chicken Tikka. I love how it tastes, how it looks, how it smells... I would normally say I love EVERYTHING about it! But for the sake of finding the Yang element, I would have to say... that might be something like how it dyes my fingers orange! A negligible thing perhaps, but a Yang point nonetheless!

So in this thread, you suggest a food or drink for the next person. Then the person states both a YIN and YANG point for it! Even if it's something you cannot stand, or something you utterly adore, you MUST find a Yin and Yang for both. Otherwise, your answers are null and void! Once you do so, give your own food or drink suggestion for the next poster.

So let's play, THE YIN AND YANG OF THAT FOODIE THANG!

The first poster has the pleasure of stating the Yin and Yang of: MACARONI CHEESE!

Scroll to see replies

Yin: Tastes sooooo good and comforting.
Yang: Fattening :cry:

The yin and yang of Dominoes pizza?
Reply 2
There are too many yangs to mention for Dominos pizza...

Red grapes.
Yin: Everytime I eat one, I remember "Oh yeah, Red grapes are actually gorgeous! Why do you always pick the green grapes Melissa? The red ones are actually better."

Yang: Then I remember, oh, I could be eating a raisin now, they're just the same thing. And raisins are so good.

Yin and Yang of...

PICKLED ONIONS
Reply 4
Sorry, I have to ask Melissa to answer the last valid answer before we can proceed. WHAT WAS THE ONE THING I ASKED, KAT2PULT? WHAT WAS THE ONE RULE?

Answer properly or not at all!

Now I'm going to stand here and tap my toe until you sort this whole mess out, because quite frankly, I'm livid.
Reply 5
Firstly, Toto, you made me literally laugh out loud. (I'll assume you were joking about tapping your toe...)

Secondly,

YIN: If you're looking for a strong flavour, you can't go wrong with a Pickled Onion!
YANG: It's a bit too overpowering for my liking, its like KAPOWWW have some sour onion taste. I'm not too keen on it.

YIN AND YANG OF:

Seafood Sticks
Wow. I didn't even notice. Too absorbed in my Grapey dilemma.

Dominoes pizza.
YIN: It tastes the bomb-diggity. And you know what? The smell. Even the SMELL makes me happy. The morning after, I smell the box again sometimes. The memories bring such joy.
YANG: They aren't ALL that good. Some pizzas are far too deep and doughy, to the point they lose their pizza identity. Don't overdo it guys.

Now the next person can answer Dani and her SEAFOOD STICKS
Reply 7
Yin: I've never tried seafood sticks so it'd be something new

Yang: They don't look too appetising

Yin and yang of Chicken kievs?
Original post by Fusion
Yin: I've never tried seafood sticks so it'd be something new

Yang: They don't look too appetising

Yin and yang of Chicken kievs?

YIN: They remind me of childhood. And I love the garlic sauce filling, other breaded chicken products can be so dry. SELF-SAUCING.

YANG: They're a bit over-done, or at least used to be. I often feel very unfashionable when I eat them.

YIN or YANG of... mushrooms?
Reply 9
Yin: They're a healthy component of an otherwise greasy fry up

Yang: They smell horrible.

Yin and Yang of SAUSAGE IN BATTERS
Reply 10
Original post by Fusion
Yin: They're a healthy component of an otherwise greasy fry up

Yang: They smell horrible.

Yin and Yang of SAUSAGE IN BATTERS

Yin: they taste sooo good! Batter and sausage from the chippy is a good comfort/indulgent food

Yang: I get half way through it and can't eat any more! Especially when chips are involved too!

Yin and yang of porridge
Reply 11
Yin: Its a very healthy and fulfilling meal.

Yang: You may swell be in prison eating that gloop.

The Yin and Yang of Lasagne
Original post by DanHampton
Yin: Its a very healthy and fulfilling meal.

Yang: You may swell be in prison eating that gloop.

The Yin and Yang of Lasagne

Yin: when done right, it tastes delicious. Rich and full of flavour.
Yang: So many people cook bad versions. And the ready meal ones can be POOR!

YIN and YANG of..blue cheese
Reply 13
YIN: It's yummy! And versatile: put it on steak, on toast, on pasta, in soup with broccoli, on its own... oh yeah. Mmmm.

YANG: It is - undeniably - mouldy.

The YIN and YANG of... meatballs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
I can't believe I got negged so heavily for just stating the obvious/having a laugh, but hey-ho, c'est la vie :wink:

For Lasagne:

YIN: The crunchy burnt corners are actually the work of angels. Tasty and filling!

YANG: It creates an impenetrable dye on your oven dish which becomes nigh on impossible to clean. Also, the "grease layer" on top of the lasagne in general. Urgh.

What's the Yin and Yang of... CALEZONE?
Reply 15
Man, I was super late! Let me answer you, acidedge;

YIN: Tasty, fun to play with, and easy to add to any dishes that need a BITTA MEAT!

YANG: You ALWAYS get a gritty one!

YIN AND YANG OF... CALEZONE!
Reply 16
Yin: they can be SO good, especially at decent Italians! And tend to be way less greasy than other pizzas, and have more tomato saucy goodness.

Yang: they tend to be a hundred times more filling due to the increased topping to dough ratio and more sauce/cheese ingredients. Plus they tend to have more dough. AND you can't get them as a takeaway so less convenience, more luxury meal (not really a bad thing, just an observation!)

Yin and yang of cinnamon!
Yin~ just a little dash can add a lovely winter warmth to porridge/drinks/hot cereal

Yang~ two words: cinnamon challange.

Yin & yang pick & mix!
Original post by Viennaberry
Yin~ just a little dash can add a lovely winter warmth to porridge/drinks/hot cereal

Yang~ two words: cinnamon challange.

Yin & yang pick & mix!

YIN: gives me fond childhood memories, the pick element mean it can provide fun and yum for longer periods of time, you can have a variety.

YANG: penny sweets don't cost a penny anymore. They should be called, no longer a penny sweets. Oh, and it makes me cringe to think of other people putting their grubby hands in the comparements.
Scusey fingers!

YIN and YANG of pukka pies?
Reply 19
YIN: Pukka Pies are really convenient and the upper crust tends to flake up jeeeuuuuust right!

YANG: The filling tastes surprisingly very iron-y. Very mean with the meat too, and the lower crust can be *overly* soggy (I like soggy pastry, but not *wet* pastry).

What's the YIN AND YANG OF: MULLER CRUNCH?

Quick Reply

Latest