The Student Room Group

Linkedin - useful tool or waste of time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by gangst
If I may join in...

Based on his comments on pay, and a 2 + 20...

Assuming PB personally wants to clear 1mil a year and his fund is capable of returning 5-10%, I'd guesstimate AUM is in the range of £50-150mil.

As you say all speculation though. Apologies to PB if way off the mark.

try duedil, it isn't too hard to find this stuff out
[QUOTE]
Original post by Teenage Pirate
I was ignoring it because you were venturing off topic. It's like you think the fact that you've helped some dog**** AIM companies go public means that you weren't completely wrong about a fundamental corporate finance problem.

Who did you say was venturing off topic? You say they are dog**** companies, but surely this would mean more coming from somebody who has actually done anything in the real world. The closest you have come to raising money in a bank is asking some clown behind the counter at Barclays to increase your student overdraft limit.

You think the 5 or 6 examples you provided trumps my example set of "almost every listed company."

You asked me for examples to support what I was saying and I generously gave you six. You on the other hand gave no examples to support your comments, instead saying that all my examples were 'one-offs'! Brilliant.

You saying "you don't know how things are done in practice" and then being unable to demonstrate that things are actually being done that way in practice (outside of a few E&P companies and even there you resorted to making up examples by listing companies which had not raised capital once) while still being dismissive of the theory behind the practice is pretty pathetic.

As I said, I made a comment and supported it with examples. You just didn't like the fact that it contradicted what you had read somewhere in the university library, and started going mental.

Finance research in capital markets is more positive than normative anyway, meaning that if you bothered to pick up a textbook you'd find a lot of the stuff more relevant than capital structure research for instance.

This final comment doesn't actually relate to anything, I assume you just wrote it as you thought it made you sound clever. As we have now established - you're not.
Original post by Samtheman1
blah

You keep talking about your experience as if it somehow proves your point. For the billionth time: It doesn't.

You want examples? Tesco, BP... Ok, no, let's make this easier. I take a random list of LSE+AIM companies, say the top 10 risers and fallers for today. I do a Bloomberg CACS on them and briefly scan their investor relations pages for the last few years and try to find how many of them actually raise equity capital on a yearly basis. Note that I'm excluding shares issued for directors to exercise options for obvious reasons.

The list:
Risers:
Southern Cross Healthcare - excluded because of insolvency
Manganese Bronze Holdings - no capital raised since 2009
GAME Group - also insolvent...
Aurum Mining - no capital raised since 2006
CareCapital Group - raised money in 2012 but that was the first time since before 2009 (too lazy to read before, you said annually)
Managed Support Services - not since 2009
Global Brands - a company that actually raises capital once every year.
Gulfsands Petroleum - Nope, nothing since 2010... infact they did a buyback last year.
All Points North - nothing since as far back as I care to look
Orchid Development Group - some director stuff in 2012 that I can't be bothered to figure out, latest real issue 2009

Fallers:
CPP Group - only executive option conversions...
Active Risk Group - another company that does come to market often
News Corp - nope, not what you're looking for.
Invesco Property Income Trust - afaik haven't raised any new capital, but it's not a real company anyway so let's ignore it to make your numbers look better
Sopheon - nothing...
Alecto Minerals - did stuff in 2010 but nothing in 2008, 2009 or 2011.
ATH Resources - nope
Kazakhstan Kagazy - Restructured its debt but no new equity outside of anything potential created there
PZ Cussons - Nope, not regularly coming to market..
Indian Restaurants Group - nope

When I design an experiment where the sample is almost random instead of being selected in a way that induces bias (had you actually paid attention in school you would know this), you find that of the 17 companies that we can look at, only 2 actually fit your theory.

Apologies for any mistakes in the data, it was a rough scan of the news btw. That being said, you'll need to find 7 mistakes just to have the majority of companies fit your view and I think that's pretty unlikely.

It's pretty sad that you're unable to admit that you're wrong on such a fundamental issue. Let me guess, you're going to basically ignore this dataset and come back with "well I do ECM" or whatever.
Original post by bmqib
Good, for stalking purposes.

Oh I agree with that, It took me a while to remember that the "stalked" people could see "who had viewed their profile", "how many times" :mmm:
I have edited this thread. Please play nicely and stop throwing the childish insults around.
Reply 105
Original post by ProStacker
I have edited this thread. Please play nicely and stop throwing the childish insults around.

Very disappointed you deleted my post seeing as we have recently being pushing the mod team to split out the IB forum from Consultancy, this was a great example frankly of how quickly IB chats can descend into nonsense arguing.

Poor form.
Reply 106
Original post by crcr
try duedil, it isn't too hard to find this stuff out

no info on assets under management just the company name (salamander trading).
Reply 107
Original post by NW86
Very disappointed you deleted my post seeing as we have recently being pushing the mod team to split out the IB forum from Consultancy, this was a great example frankly of how quickly IB chats can descend into nonsense arguing.

Poor form.

So the assumption is that this wouldn't happen in a consultancy only forum? Why not?
Original post by someonesomewherexx
Oh I agree with that, It took me a while to remember that the "stalked" people could see "who had viewed their profile", "how many times" :mmm:

You know you can edit that so you're completely anonymous if you want to, right?

Also, I'd say it is useful but only if you get networking in real life too. When I meet people at events and get talking I always ask if they'd mind connecting, and although it hasn't paid off in terms of a job or anything I know several people for whom it has (including one who got a consultancy job when a recruiter just came across his profile - if he hadn't built his network in the way I'm now trying too, that would never have happened.
Reply 109
Original post by Regent
So the assumption is that this wouldn't happen in a consultancy only forum? Why not?

Because I've been active in this (the IB and consultancy forum not just TSR) for 3 years, the same length of time i've been in the consultancy industry. I have never met anyone in consultancy with the ridiculous pseudo alpha male attitude that the people involved in IB chat in this form propagate. Also, I have never seen a consultancy post, in the past 3 years, descend into a point scoring sniping attack on someone else's opinion of how the industry works, as has happened in this thread.... And, frankly, numerous other posts within the past few months, let alone the past few years!
Reply 110
Original post by NW86
Because I've been active in this (the IB and consultancy forum not just TSR) for 3 years, the same length of time i've been in the consultancy industry. I have never met anyone in consultancy with the ridiculous pseudo alpha male attitude that the people involved in IB chat in this form propagate. Also, I have never seen a consultancy post, in the past 3 years, descend into a point scoring sniping attack on someone else's opinion of how the industry works, as has happened in this thread.... And, frankly, numerous other posts within the past few months, let alone the past few years!

Fair point. A lot of potential IB'ers are just insecure guys who want to pursue the career because it represents some ideal of success (the amount of times American Psycho has been referenced on this forum speaks volumes), which they think allows them to compensate for perceived inadequacies. They'll eventually realise only a small subset of people actually care (golddiggers and elitists).

This is one of the reasons my A-Level tutor told me to avoid LSE (he was a Cambridge graduate) and I'm glad I took his advice.

Definitely something I've noticed in the Economics/Finance societies at my uni and it's extremely apparent on this forum. I know a few 'normal' guys working in banking and they say the exact same thing.
Reply 111
Banking is not like people in here are like. There is a reason why a lot of people dont have IB jobs here.
Reply 112
Original post by Regent
Fair point. A lot of potential IB'ers are just insecure guys who want to pursue the career because it represents some ideal of success (the amount of times American Psycho has been referenced on this forum speaks volumes), which they think allows them to compensate for perceived inadequacies. They'll eventually realise only a small subset of people actually care (golddiggers and elitists).

This is one of the reasons my A-Level tutor told me to avoid LSE (he was a Cambridge graduate) and I'm glad I took his advice.

Definitely something I've noticed in the Economics/Finance societies at my uni and it's extremely apparent on this forum. I know a few 'normal' guys working in banking and they say the exact same thing.

Your American Psycho comment did make me laugh, very true.

I just find the aggression that comes out in this forum to be ridiculous, behaving like that in the majority of situations a work (and I say majority because sometime it will work I suppose) acting like an argumentative arse doesn't impress people, even if yo are right, it just pisses people off. And ostracising people/yourself in the workplace is retarded.
Reply 113
Wasn't this discussion to be about LinkedIn?

I haven't profited from it yet, but I'm still in university so that might be the problem. I think not having a LinkedIn profile may harm your candidacy if HR googles you.
Reply 114
if anyone of you got linkedin and wants to enlarge his network, pm me :-)
Sorry to necromance this thread but -

Come on people.

Linkedin is a total waste of time for most people, you join up, make some connections, then your account just sits there gathering dust. Or you attempt to connect with loads of unknown people that you have no idea who they are.

I've had job offers from linkedin from that breed of slimy gits that we call recruitment officers. And do you know what? They're just spamming you. And in such a way to make you think you're the only person they contacted. They probably send the same email out to hundreds of people, and you get all excited because you think you've been "headhunted".

The recruitment officer just hunts down a batch of people who vaguely fit into the role and spams them. I'm fed up with receiving these emails promising this and that salary only to actually phone the person and discover they have no idea who I am.

There's a couple of things you can bet your bottom dollar on :

The job will not actually be of the description you've been given. It will be dressed up in blag language to make it appear more appealing.

The salary will not actually be as given. There will be some kind of catch.

It makes me sick now how deceitful employers are when describing the job and the salary. And you can bet your bottom dollar they are decitful. And that's not just on Linkedin either. You know how people "massage" their CV's to make them look better without actually lying outright? Well that's exactly what employers are doing now. If it sounds too good to be true - probably is.

Unless you're going to work Linkedin every day and get hundreds and hundreds (thousands?) of contacts - I wouldn't bother. It's just the old tired social networking bubble rearing it's ugly head again with empty promises of "connections" and "employment opportunities".

I would have thought a much better idea for marketing is slowly building a strong word of mouth network by actually talking to people and actually meeting them etc. etc.

Again, sorry to drag up such an old thread, I came across it in google when doing some Linkedin related search just now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending