The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL's humanities prep course?

Hey guys! I'm an international student from India and new to this site.
Anyway, I'm keen on studying law in the UK and UCL has caught my attention, I've heard great things about it. The problem is that I'm not doing IB etc, I'm doing ISC, which isn't recognized for direct entry into the three year course. But it said that I could apply for the one year prep course for humanities - University Preparatory Certificate for the Humanities (UPCH). Was just wondering if you guys know what that's like and the chances of me getting in there?

11th grade average:
English A-
Sociology A-
Psychology A
Economics A-
Art A

12th grade average (predictive):
English A
Sociology A
Psychology A+
Economics A-
Art A

And my final board exam ISC predictive would be around 85-87%

AP Psychology - 4/5 (taking it this May)
AP English Literature - 4 predictive
AP English Language - 4 predictive
AP World History - 4 predictive

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by littletiger
Hey guys! I'm an international student from India and new to this site.
Anyway, I'm keen on studying law in the UK and UCL has caught my attention, I've heard great things about it. The problem is that I'm not doing IB etc, I'm doing ISC, which isn't recognized for direct entry into the three year course. But it said that I could apply for the one year prep course for humanities - University Preparatory Certificate for the Humanities (UPCH). Was just wondering if you guys know what that's like and the chances of me getting in there?

11th grade average:
English A-
Sociology A-
Psychology A
Economics A-
Art A

12th grade average (predictive):
English A
Sociology A
Psychology A+
Economics A-
Art A

And my final board exam ISC predictive would be around 85-87%

AP Psychology - 4/5 (taking it this May)
AP English Literature - 4 predictive
AP English Language - 4 predictive
AP World History - 4 predictive

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hey there!
I did UCL foundation's year and have lots of things to tell you about it. The course gives a great opportunity for those who want to study at top unis across the UK (LSE,UCL,Oxbridge,etc.) The thing with this course is that the statistics shown on their website don't meet the reality actually. Honestly, those who want to study at such competitve courses as Law, Economics, Architecture, Medicine are making a risk by applying to this foundation year. During my year no one got into UCL Law faculty and as far as i know there've been only 2 students in the history of UPC who actually got into. The same with Architecture. Only one student got into the school. So, it's a bit risky you know. But if you really keen on studying law and ready to put efforts into your preparation for the LNAT (they put HUGE importance on this test), so go for it! UPCH is a very tough and demanding course i would say, you should be ready for loads of work. :biggrin: Anyways, if you really want to study at UCL Laws this course is probably the best opportunity for you to get what you want :wink: Best of luck!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by girlfromala
Hey there!
I did UCL foundation's year and have lots of things to tell you about it. The course gives a great opportunity for those who want to study at top unis across the UK (LSE,UCL,Oxbridge,etc.) The thing with this course is that the statistics shown on their website don't meet the reality actually. Honestly, those who want to study at such competitve courses as Law, Economics, Architecture, Medicine are making a risk by applying to this foundation year. During my year no one got into UCL Law faculty and as far as i know there've been only 2 students in the history of UPC who actually got into. The same with Architecture. Only one student got into the school. So, it's a bit risky you know. But if you really keen on studying law and ready to put efforts into your preparation for the LNAT (they put HUGE importance on this test), so go for it! UPCH is a very tough and demanding course i would say, you should be ready for loads of work. :biggrin: Anyways, if you really want to study at UCL Laws this course is probably the best opportunity for you to get what you want :wink: Best of luck!

Hello! I am interested in the UPCSE program but I'm really worried of going through the whole process after hearing that statistics are not really accurate and such. So can you tell me more about the course, perhaps pros and cons, how heavy the work? What did the finishing students end up going to (degrees/ universities)? And would you overall recommend it to someone interested in applying to biological sciences/pharmacy/medicine? Any information would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending