The Student Room Group

Passing time at work.

How do you pass time on days when you are not in the mood to work?

I work in an office so I tend to take 5-10 min walks around the building to stretch my legs, do this every 2 hours during my day.

It also helps that I've removed the clock from the bottom of my screen.

What type of job do you work in?

Office? Retail? Outdoors? etc...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Danny_18
How do you pass time on days when you are not in the mood to work?

I work in an office so I tend to take 5-10 min walks around the building to stretch my legs, do this every 2 hours during my day.

It also helps that I've removed the clock from the bottom of my screen.

What type of job do you work in?

Office? Retail? Outdoors? etc...

Quite a few people in my office have iPods so they listen to them whilst they work. I er, just go on Facebook. :P
Reply 2
I can't listen to my ipod since I have to answer the phone alot.

Where do you work? How do you get on facebook?
I'm nearly always on the shop floor so I can't listen to my iPod or anything like that in case a customer needs help. I usually listen to the radio, talk to other staff, play on my phone, or look around and see if there's anything I want to buy.
Reply 4
I drink cold soy milk or munch on some nuts - heaven really. Or, I just read some article on Wikipedia; I learned about the last monarch of Russia when I was so bored in the office that I used to work with lol.
Looking at the clock makes time really drag so I try and ignore the clock
Reply 6
Don't wear a watch on shopfloor, helps so much if it's a quiet shift and theres nothing to be done. Only place I can check the time is on the tills or on one of the wall mounted phones, makes it pass so much quicker if you aren't checking the time every 2 minutes!
Reply 7
I usually find small jobs to do such as constantly stocking up m counter. I also work on closes which means depending on the manager they let me turn of machinery early so when it comes to time to shut the shop I have less work to do. Other than that usually sit in the office or stand on the counter with managers and other staff members just chatting. (I love night shifts)
Reply 8
I'd love to have a job in the likes of Sainsburys or Tesco etc. Shame I work monday-friday in an office and im only 19 :frown:
Reply 9
Have a sneaky little w*nk on the frozen aisle. :colone:
Work?
If you hate that much, quit (you naughty people!)
In one of my old jobs, I had an office to myself (well, the mailroom) and a lot of spare time, so I was a lot less conscious about things like being on TSR and other forums at work. Are you in a position to surf the internet while at work?

My job now is too busy to do this and I wouldn't want to anyway (as it's now a "real life" job lol), but if you've got plenty of time to kill at work and are able to then you may as well!
Reply 12
Original post by Duck and Cover
In one of my old jobs, I had an office to myself (well, the mailroom) and a lot of spare time, so I was a lot less conscious about things like being on TSR and other forums at work. Are you in a position to surf the internet while at work?

My job now is too busy to do this and I wouldn't want to anyway (as it's now a "real life" job lol), but if you've got plenty of time to kill at work and are able to then you may as well!

I work in an office with 4 other people but my computer is behind everyone elses so no one can see if im on the internet or working.

I want to find a flash game website that I can use that will work.
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Work?
If you hate that much, quit (you naughty people!)

Some of us need money though...
I'd love to have a job in the likes of Sainsburys or Tesco etc. Shame I work monday-friday in an office and im only 19 :frown:

Out of interest, why? I work in Morrisons and although I'd definitely rather be there than working in an office, it can get very busy and stressful at times (I work in the cafe).

I don't have much time to be bored as I'm usually running around like a headless chicken trying to get everything done, so I'm always happy when it quietens down. I usually spend this time getting everything stocked up and cleaning tables or talking to my collegues. :smile:
Lucky people having 5 minutes spare every so often at work.... I'm a pre-reg pharmacist working in Boots and struggle to get away for lunch and for a 5 minute toilet break in the afternoon!
Original post by puddingandpie
Some of us need money though...

Yes, of course. A great number of jobs look boring to me - personally, many admin-related jobs. You don't even get to go outside! Hope that you can start to enjoy your job - maybe a promotion or a new one in the future.
If you have a job you can bear, hold onto it at least until the economy picks up - although that may be far off :hmpf:
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Yes, of course. A great number of jobs look boring to me - personally, many admin-related jobs. You don't even get to go outside! Hope that you can start to enjoy your job - maybe a promotion or a new one in the future.
If you have a job you can bear, hold onto it at least until the economy picks up - although that may be far off :hmpf:

Yeh true, thankfully I don't have an office job so I'm always really busy even though it is hard work.
I also agree, if a job is trully horrendous I don't know if I would be able to do it for very long.
Reply 18
Original post by puddingandpie
Yeh true, thankfully I don't have an office job so I'm always really busy even though it is hard work.
I also agree, if a job is trully horrendous I don't know if I would be able to do it for very long.

I think I actually have an horrendous job. I work in an office monday to friday, 8am until 6pm. I also have to work one saturday a month. The pay is good but my social life is poor.

I've been here since start of December and I'm planning on leaving either at the end of April or end of May. Should have a decent amount of money and have a nice summer going to music festivals and getting my social life back. Hopefully start college in September.
I think I actually have an horrendous job. I work in an office monday to friday, 8am until 6pm. I also have to work one saturday a month. The pay is good but my social life is poor.

I've been here since start of December and I'm planning on leaving either at the end of April or end of May. Should have a decent amount of money and have a nice summer going to music festivals and getting my social life back. Hopefully start college in September.

Why do you find it horrendous? Is it just the boredom and tedium?

Yeh there's definitely things to be positive about, mainly that you won't be working there for very long lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending