The Student Room Group

Undergrad from Middlesex but Masters from the LSE...

Hi,

I have been offered a place to study my MSc Management, Organisations and Governance at the LSE starting October this year. I am currently studying BSc Accounting and Business Economics at Middlesex University and expecting to achieve a High First Class Honours.

Will the low reputation of my undergraduate Institution hinder my opportunities to get a good job after graduating from the LSE?

Also, Will employers focus more towards my Masters at LSE once I have obtained it and place little precedence towards my BSc at Middlesex?

Any advice would be grateful.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I can't see why you are worrying about something you can't control as you are about to finish the degree. Just work harder in your masters degree and gain more work experience.
Reply 2
Original post by vinc10
I can't see why you are worrying about something you can't control as you are about to finish the degree. Just work harder in your masters degree and gain more work experience.

I echo this. You can't change your undergraduate degree. Nobody can say for sure if it will disadvantage you or not but having 'LSE' on your CV will certainly be a great advantage to have. If anything, it will show that you've worked very hard.
Reply 3
Well if your competition have bas or bscs at elite institutions as well as a masters, then you will be disadvantaged.
No it probably will not hinder them. Most employers will have the sense to see that the Masters is more recent evidence of your ability and the fact that you ended up on a prestigious programme from where you started certainly shouldn't be to your disadvantage. The actual measurable advantage it gives will be difficult to tell, because it depends very much on the competition.

The employers will focus more on your Masters, but then again your degree alone will not get you the sort of job you're after. As mentioned above, you will need work experience and possibly internships, in combination with your degree.

Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
You should not worry about such things as they are out of your control. The only thing you can do is try to achieve the same grades at LSE and everything will be all right. What would be the alternative ? Don't go to LSE and just do another masters at your current university ? Do you think that you'll achieve more by doing so ? I'd think not.

All you can do is work, work work and do the best you can. Not only academically but also EC, which certainly have significance when looking for a job. This way you could have an edge over those who haven't really achieved something.

More, as said before, it's your last degree that counts. There's a reason you have superb grades now and that your admitted. Follow the same path and no one will question your abilities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Your IK387 or something like that mentioned you in the LSE postgrad thread.

You will be fine. Having a good university is just means of getting an interview. It doesn't matter if it's at undergraduate or postgraduate level. Make sure you get some good experience this summer, work experience is by miles more important when it comes to beating the competition. Good luck!
Reply 7
:biggrin:Look who it is:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by IK237
:biggrin:Look who it is:biggrin:

Hey Wassup:tongue:

finally made a TSR account :biggrin:
Reply 9
hey SkyScraper, can I ask what your offer is for this course MSc Management, Organisations and Governance because am thinking of applying to that course? Rather worried that I will not get an offer as I am on a 67 average right now and usually they ask for firsts.
Reply 10
Original post by prince1990
hey SkyScraper, can I ask what your offer is for this course MSc Management, Organisations and Governance because am thinking of applying to that course? Rather worried that I will not get an offer as I am on a 67 average right now and usually they ask for firsts.

I have to obtain a First Class Honours result. Depends what University you currently study. Someone in the LSE 2012/13 Postgrad forum mentioned that he is studying PPE at Warwick and LSE only requires him to achieve a 2:1.
Reply 11
Original post by SkyScraper
Hi,

I have been offered a place to study my MSc Management, Organisations and Governance at the LSE starting October this year. I am currently studying BSc Accounting and Business Economics at Middlesex University and expecting to achieve a High First Class Honours.

Will the low reputation of my undergraduate Institution hinder my opportunities to get a good job after graduating from the LSE?

Also, Will employers focus more towards my Masters at LSE once I have obtained it and place little precedence towards my BSc at Middlesex?

Any advice would be grateful.

The LSE degree will of course improve your chances of passing any sift - as well as giving you something else to talk about at interview. You may also have to pass other parts of the sift - A Level or GCSE grades, and extra curricular activities are also important.

When I passed my grad scheme interviews, they didn't focus on where I went to uni, more on me as a person.

If you feel you are borderline on getting through any sift, then you could contact HR and let them know the situation - and here LSE would help, name recognition at this stage is key.

Hope this helps, good luck!!
Original post by wadders24
The LSE degree will of course improve your chances of passing any sift - as well as giving you something else to talk about at interview. You may also have to pass other parts of the sift - A Level or GCSE grades, and extra curricular activities are also important.

When I passed my grad scheme interviews, they didn't focus on where I went to uni, more on me as a person.

If you feel you are borderline on getting through any sift, then you could contact HR and let them know the situation - and here LSE would help, name recognition at this stage is key.

Hope this helps, good luck!!

No sh!t bro, you only get grad interviews after they check what university you went to, so obviously they don't need to talk about that in the actual interview. But getting to that stage, perhaps your uni was quite important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending