Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accommodation for Sept 2012

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering if people prefer staying in a house or halls and why?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the person, but if you're a fresher I would recommend halls against all costs. It's the best way to get to know everyone in the university, have a good time and settle in with a good vibe (not for everyone, but most people agree).

Then in the second/third year you get to meet people in your course with whom you share a house, which is preferable because you already met people + house is cheaper. It'll also be more fun with people you get along with.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hmm yeah, that's actually a good point. I've been debating whether or not to stay in halls or rent a house.

There's so many pros and cons that come with staying in halls AND renting a house.

I want to stay in halls because I want to meet people and I just know i'd enjoy it more but I'd like to have bigger space as well but obviously, with halls, you can't really have that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChantelleWes)
    Hmm yeah, that's actually a good point. I've been debating whether or not to stay in halls or rent a house.

There's so many pros and cons that come with staying in halls AND renting a house.

I want to stay in halls because I want to meet people and I just know i'd enjoy it more but I'd like to have bigger space as well but obviously, with halls, you can't really have that.
    I don't know how much space you want but I've looked around rooms in halls at Derby, Birmingham City and Nottingham Trent. All of the ones I've seen have been a decent size, bigger than my room at home. The kitchens have been reasonable. The only small rooms have been shower/toilet/ensuite. All of those have been tiny but they didn't need to be big as all the rooms had a sink in there if they weren't ensuite. There were also options for larger rooms though obviously you had to pay more.

I'm staying in halls for my first year and am really looking forward to it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was in halls for my first year, a house with friends in my second, and for my final year I'll be going back into halls (with only final years).

It's a very different environment, so depends what you prefer. Halls are a lot simpler, often cheaper, but you don't have a dedicated living room, and you'll be sharing the facilities between more people. So obviously it's more difficult to have people over/throw parties etc. However in halls you're in with so many other students that all the points I've mentioned become worthless.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 9, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.