The Student Room Group

GCSE Results day March 8TH - What did you get.

Scroll to see replies

English Lit: A*
Additional Science: A

Additional Maths: C. Yeah, about that... :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by UFO
Really pleased with mine!
OCR Maths: 100 A* :biggrin:
AQA Chemistry: 95 A* :smile:
AQA Physics: 76 B :s-smilie:
Kinda gutted about the B in physics because it means I can't get an A overall without doing another ISA or module in the summer :/

OH MY GOD. WELL DONE WITH THE MATHS!! :eek: And the chemistry!! :smile:

P.S. A B in physics isn't bad... But I know how it feels to want an A! :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
A A A
so pleased :smile:
AQA English - 106/120 UMS (A)

Didn't really count seeing as the results for my previous exam came through 2 days after I did the exam and I got an A overall anyway so this was a just a backup.
Reply 44
Original post by onesoulfortwo
OH MY GOD. WELL DONE WITH THE MATHS!! :eek: And the chemistry!! :smile:

P.S. A B in physics isn't bad... But I know how it feels to want an A! :rolleyes:

Thanks! I'm one of those people who always gets a few marks off the next grade argh!! :angry:
Reply 45
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Well it may involve sacrifice but obviously it seems to have paid off and work quite well for you so I wouldn't change your method. :wink: I'm sitting my Unit 2 and Unit 3 exams in May for all three Sciences.

I haven't heard of these UMS marks before. For GCSE's isn't it simpler to take the mark achieved/total marks to get a percentage? I'm a bit confused about the UMS. I just used the grade boundaries January 2012 document from the AQA website.

UMS stands for universal mark scale. Each raw mark (the actual mark you get on the paper) is converted into a UMS mark which makes the same module taken at different times comparable in the mark they get, so if you get a really hard paper you're not penalised in terms of your grade. So 32/40 could be 95UMS in January of a year say, but it could be 98UMS in June for example if the June paper was deemed slightly harder by the exam board (i.e. if people generally got slightly lower marks). UMS also means that it's often the case the you can get 100UMS without actually getting every single mark on the paper if people across the country tend to score relatively low. This is the case in AQA GCSE science exams for exmaple, where often 37/45 can suffice for 100ums.
OCR Maths 200/200- A*
OCR Maths 200/200- A* (full gcse out of both papers :biggrin:)
OCR Biology b4,b5,b6- 46/50 A*
OCR Chemistry c4,c5,c6- 48/50 A*
OCR Physics p4,p5,p6- 46/50 A*
Edexcel History- A
AQA English Lit- A
AQA English Language- B :frown:

Going to have to resit English Language as i need and should be getting an A*! :frown:
Reply 47
AQA English Lang = A
I just read this thinking it was an A Level Results thread !! -_-

Was like "Where did all these people come from??"

Well, enjoy your good grades while they last haha.
Reply 49
History OCR 59/60 a*
Biolog OCR 44/50 a
Chemistry OCR 43/50 a
Physics OCR 40/50 a
English lang aqa 86 b

Im so soo upset for 2 reasons;
-I already done all my models are am only like 7 marks from an a* in biology I resat the lowest one and got 4 more mark I got 3 more for chemistry and 1 more for physics. It's so so irritating I truly thaught u did good enough in the exams :frown: I have 3 more exams in June if I want my a*
- as for English language I was distraught. If I wanted a b I wouldn't have revised as hard as I did. Even the drunk crackheads got a's or a* I cried so much in class I just don't understand what I did do wrong. I'm going to get it remarked and I'm going to resit which should be splendid. I'm one of the top in the year group it upset me so much my English teacher doesn't even like me now really :frown: what are the chances ur could have been a major mistake and I got an a* really? :frown:
I haven't got my results for sciences yet, but what I'm expecting to get is
OCR Biology: A
OCR Chemistry: A*
OCR Physics: B

But for english language, I was actually so annoyed because I didn't just sit in the exam hall for 2hrs15m just to get a B, and the worst thing about it, is that I think I got a B because of the fact that the moderators probably couldn't read my handwriting. Now I'm Going to have to retake to get my A. (BTW, I'm an A*/A student in all my grades apart from ICT, which is a B even though I got an A :/)

Below are the GCSE's I actually have
AQA English: B
OCR ICT: A
Edexcel Maths: A*
Edexcel Statistics: A
Reply 51
OCR Biology (4,5,6): A
OCR Chemistry (4,5,6): B (1 mark off an A!)
OCR Physics (4,5,6): A
French Writing CWK: B
French Speaking CWK: A* (I think both of those were Edexcel or OCR, can't remember)
History: A* (Can't remember that board either, I'm useless!)

I'm very happy with my results, considering I was sure I'd have to retake Physics. I was so sure I'd failed it and gotten a C in Chemistry. Very different to what I'd thought, thank god!:smile:
Reply 52
AQA Physics unit 2 (H) - 100/100
AQA Chemistry unit 2 (H) - 100/ 100
AQA Biology unit 2 (H) - 100/ 100
OCR History B Aspects of International Relations 1948-2005 with Causes and Events of the First World War 1890-1918 - 90/90

Happy!
Reply 53
I got:

AQA B1: A
AQA C1: A*
AQA P1: A*

:biggrin:
Original post by Claree
UMS stands for universal mark scale. Each raw mark (the actual mark you get on the paper) is converted into a UMS mark which makes the same module taken at different times comparable in the mark they get, so if you get a really hard paper you're not penalised in terms of your grade. So 32/40 could be 95UMS in January of a year say, but it could be 98UMS in June for example if the June paper was deemed slightly harder by the exam board (i.e. if people generally got slightly lower marks). UMS also means that it's often the case the you can get 100UMS without actually getting every single mark on the paper if people across the country tend to score relatively low. This is the case in AQA GCSE science exams for exmaple, where often 37/45 can suffice for 100ums.

Okay thank you. I was told by my tutor that I achieved 92% in my Physics test because I score 92 out of 100 UMS marks for the paper, but this isn't true, is it? If I look at the raw marks to UMS converter on the AQA website my UMS mark actually equates to 32/45, which is only 32 out of 45 possible marks, which is 71% :confused:
Original post by star10159
Did anyone else do the WJEC english exams? I got an A but want to remark for an A*

I did a re-take of Language Unit 1. To cut along story short we had a very, very bad teacher for Year 10 who subsequently fled to Spain at the end of the year after enough complaints were received.

I believe that exam is the hardest of them all. Unless you were one mark off an A* I would really not get it remarked.

WJEC English Language Unit 1 - A
AQA Business Unit 1 - A*

These are bnoth retakes.

DiDA (Digital Applications) UMS score 54. "C" for Credit, which is a B I think? See more about this in my topic...
Reply 56
Edexcel History B (Transformation of Surgery): A*-93 UMS
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Okay thank you. I was told by my tutor that I achieved 92% in my Physics test because I score 92 out of 100 UMS marks for the paper, but this isn't true, is it? If I look at the raw marks to UMS converter on the AQA website my UMS mark actually equates to 32/45, which is only 32 out of 45 possible marks, which is 71% :confused:

a lot of teachers don't understand UMS,which makes me look great getting full UMS in Geography (41/50-checked with maths teacher) ,because he thinks i got full marks and always says the grade boundaries always stay the same:A*-90.0-100%
etc,which is a load of rubbish.
Original post by Dalek1099
a lot of teachers don't understand UMS,which makes me look great getting full UMS in Geography (41/50-checked with maths teacher) ,because he thinks i got full marks and always says the grade boundaries always stay the same:A*-90.0-100%
etc,which is a load of rubbish.

Exactly, so I'm correct in my thinking aren't I? I got 92% of the UMS marks but taking into account the adjusted grade boundary (which increased from last year for Physics Unit 1) then I actually obtained 71%.
Reply 59
OCR Science C1 B1 P1: A
I was only 1 or 2 marks of an A*

Quick Reply