The Student Room Group

Applying for Fine Art at Competitive Universities

Hi!
Next year I am planning on applying to competitive universities in the UK for fine art. I want to make sure I give myself the best possible chance to prepare my personal statement and portfolio and wondered if anyone could help, or is going or experienced through the same process.
I have a GCSE and BTEC Diploma already in art, and a BTEC in graphics all at A and A*. I am studying AS Fine Art and Graphics which I will continue in A2. (I also study Law and English Literature).
I have completed a number of projects and sketchbooks including my own independent projects. I have also entered a lot of art competitions in my local area and recently came first place in an art fair. Moreover, I volunteer at a primary school, helping the children with their art projects. I have been to some life drawing classes, print and textile workshops and visit galleries around the country. Last summer I took part in the National Art and Design Club where my work was exhibited in Somerset House, London.
I would like some help on portfolios too! Does a consistent theme need to run through the portfolio? How much work should be displayed? And how? What makes a successful portfolio?

Many thanks for reading!
I would appreciate any comments. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Bear in mind, a lot of universities will require you to do a foundation year before they accept you onto their degree course. There are some exceptions however.
Reply 2
Original post by Shelly_x
Bear in mind, a lot of universities will require you to do a foundation year before they accept you onto their degree course. There are some exceptions however.

Oh! Of course, I've done some research. c:
Reply 3
Honestly, looking at what you've done I dont think a foundation year would be insisted on (BTECS are often viewed as close to foundations, given your independent work and A-levels on top of that, you'd stand a good chance).

Its not so much that your portfolio needs to follow a particular theme, but your art practice will inevitably be following some lines of interest or direction regardless of the 'project' and its important that line of thought is clear and you can talk about it (has your practice/direction changed or developed - what was involved in that change/development).

Think about your body of work and what fits you best as an artist, what speaks to what you want to do - discard anything that you just did because you had to and it didnt mean anything to you. Passion and clarity in talking about your work and influences are crucial.

Start with your strongest piece, end with a strong piece. Keep it to one or two images on an A1 white sheet (dont cram loads in or use text unless absolutely necessary). Where you can, include original work, - showing texture, colour etc. (canvas, paintings, drawings etc). Dont use plastic covers (they reflect light and make it hard to see the work).

Show development through your sketchbooks - if I had my time to do again I would think of my sketchbooks as more of an ongoing thing rather than 'project by project', I ended up ripping a bunch appart and re-configuring them for my portfolio.

Differnt Unis like different things (some like final, polished, installed pieces - others are more interested in ideas and development work), look at other threads to see what people say about the interviews and do your research.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by KED
Honestly, looking at what you've done I dont think a foundation year would be insisted on (BTECS are often viewed as close to foundations, given your independent work and A-levels on top of that, you'd stand a good chance).

Its not so much that your portfolio needs to follow a particular theme, but your art practice will inevitably be following some lines of interest or direction regardless of the 'project' and its important that line of thought is clear and you can talk about it (has your practice/direction changed or developed - what was involved in that change/development).

Think about your body of work and what fits you best as an artist, what speaks to what you want to do - discard anything that you just did because you had to and it didnt mean anything to you. Passion and clarity in talking about your work and influences are crucial.

Start with your strongest piece, end with a strong piece. Keep it to one or two images on an A1 white sheet (dont cram loads in or use text unless absolutely necessary). Where you can, include original work, - showing texture, colour etc. (canvas, paintings, drawings etc). Dont use plastic covers (they reflect light and make it hard to see the work).

Show development through your sketchbooks - if I had my time to do again I would think of my sketchbooks as more of an ongoing thing rather than 'project by project', I ended up ripping a bunch appart and re-configuring them for my portfolio.

Differnt Unis like different things (some like final, polished, installed pieces - others are more interested in ideas and development work), look at other threads to see what people say about the interviews and do your research.

Good luck :smile:

Hi! Thank you so much for all your advice - I really appreciate it. :biggrin: I have heard similar things from some other websites.
How did you present your sketchbook work for your portfolio? Did you bring sketch books, scan pages?

Thank you again.
Reply 5
Original post by Abblecrumble
Hi! Thank you so much for all your advice - I really appreciate it. :biggrin: I have heard similar things from some other websites.
How did you present your sketchbook work for your portfolio? Did you bring sketch books, scan pages?

Thank you again.

Definitely bring your sketchbooks, they like to see all the little scribbles and though processes (not that they spend much time on anything - bear in mind you only get 15-20mins at interview).

For the places that do electronic or mini portfolios you can scan your sketchbook pages (I combined a few pages on a sheet)

I had ammassed so many sketchbooks over the two years of my course that it was really difficult to narrow down what I brought - some sketchbooks had brilliant pages alongside a load of rubbish!

Most universities place high importance on development work but they all have slightly different emphasis, for example Slade really like to see completed, displayed work (they want to know how you'd exhibit final pieces), Chelsea love development work, Goldsmiths are highly conceptual and theoretical - but then again, it kind of depends on who you get on the day - best thing is to be true to yourself and passionate about your work.

Last peice of advice is photograph everything you do well - there were a bunch of people on my course who hadnt photographed sculptural work that had to be thrown out - terrible when it comes to putting your portfolio together.
the outside-of-school things you've done sound really impressive, your personal statement is going to be really easy to write!
just a question - are your btecs gcse level ones? i'm just a bit confused as you're doing A level haha.
you've already got some great portfolio advice here, just put in your strongest works, but also include a variety to show your strengths using different techniques etc. :smile: you tend to have their best work mounted onto A1 sheets, and then take sketchbooks that show development work.
i'd definitely recommend doing a foundation diploma if you want to get on a top course - it's not done through ucas so why not apply to the degree courses you want AND foundation courses? good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest