The Student Room Group

Warwick or St Andrews?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Starkadder
x

Great post...I'm always shocked when I get a serious and informed response on TSR.
Reply 21
Let us know where you decide!

Thanks for such an informative post! I've recently applied for a scholarship in St. Andrews (they're available to EU students), so I'll make my choice after I hear back from them (which should be no later that 25th April).
Reply 22
I always got the impression that St. Andrews was top 5 and Warwick was the group below? It certainly seems to rank better and has a better international rep (esp. in the USA). St. Andrews outranks Warwick in all of the big domestic league tables (Guardian, Times, Sunday Times & Complete) and also in the international rankings.

Quite frankly the idea that you'll have a better career with a Warwick degree is utter nonsense, if there is a disparity between them it's very close either way. I can't talk in terms of specific degrees, but reputation-wise both are sound.

Ignore the Warwick fanboys - I'd definitely go for St. Andrews, better overall rep, fantastic place to live and no fees! Although if you're seriously worried you wont make the grades choose Warwick. I'm assuming as you applied to both as an international you had to use UCAS, in which case you get an insurance - why not use Warwick for this?

lol... frenchous strikes again.

for those who have not known it yet, this guy, frenchous, is a warwick basher. s/he trolls around forums just to bash warwick because s/he was rejected there several years ago.

lol...
Original post by Mr. Roxas
lol... frenchous strikes again.

for those who have not known it yet, this guy, frenchous, is a warwick basher. s/he trolls around forums just to bash warwick because s/he was rejected there several years ago.

lol...

No I turned Warwick down to go to UCL.

Warwick is better than St Andrews for econ but if you don't want to get into IB it's not worth paying 27k for it.

You just can't argue about that... don't try
Original post by Mr. Roxas
x

and regarding our everlasting debate about whether UCL is better than Warwick, you can get a reality check just there

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1952305

And I guess you're thrilled about the new partnership between Warwick and QMUL which are going to share their teachers to save money during "tough times"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/mar/20/warwick-queen-mary-universities-share

Lol
Reply 25
Original post by Frenchous
and regarding our everlasting debate about whether UCL is better than Warwick, you can get a reality check just there

Using a TSR poll for evidence. Oh you're so pro!
Original post by f1mad
Using a TSR poll for evidence. Oh you're so pro!

Sorry you prefer world rankings?
(edited 12 years ago)

lol The average age on TSR is around 17.. since when did teenagers did the employing?
Original post by Tsunami2011
lol The average age on TSR is around 17.. since when did teenagers did the employing?

did anyone here talk about employability?
did anyone here talk about employability?

If UCL is better than Warwick (which I don't necessarily disagree with) then you'd assume that the UCL grads were more employable surely? Not sure how you can view what school children say as reliable in terms of the prestige of a university.

That poll is flawed in many ways, most probably highlighted by how few votes Bristol has, since the difference between UCL and Bristol really isn't that large.
If UCL is better than Warwick (which I don't necessarily disagree with) then you'd assume that the UCL grads were more employable surely? Not sure how you can view what school children say as reliable in terms of the prestige of a university.

That poll is flawed in many ways, most probably highlighted by how few votes Bristol has, since the difference between UCL and Bristol really isn't that large.

Prestige and employability are 2 different things imo.

The difference between UCL and Bristol is quite large in terms of prestige.

Besides, I realise that I have turned the topic away from the original discussion so I think it would be good if we started talking about what OP asked.

So, as a Warwick student, do you think that it's worth paying 27k more to go to Warwick rather than St Andrews if your aim is not to get into IB?
Original post by EveIsBored

Also, like I said, my parents wouldn't be able to pay for the more expensive accommodation. Part-time jobs are scarce in St Andrews,

This is simply not true. It really isn't hard to get a part time job in St Andrews.

Also the accommodation at St Andrews is good. Depends which hall you choose. I have stayed with a friend in Warwick accom (the new ensuite type) and that was no better than where I've stayed in St Andrews.

Warwick has a good rep, but the nearby city is a dump (Coventry). After I visited I was quite glad I wasn't going to study at Warwick.
(edited 12 years ago)
Prestige and employability are 2 different things imo.

The difference between UCL and Bristol is quite large in terms of prestige.

Besides, I realise that I have turned the topic away from the original discussion so I think it would be good if we started talking about what OP asked.

So, as a Warwick student, do you think that it's worth paying 27k more to go to Warwick rather than St Andrews if your aim is not to get into IB?

Fair enough then..

I posted earlier on the thread and my answer was No its just not worth it. , the answer would probably even be the same if the aim was to get into IB.

Oh and I'm not a Warwick student, just seem to get drawn to these threads:s-smilie:
I always got the impression that St. Andrews was top 5 and Warwick was the group below? It certainly seems to rank better and has a better international rep (esp. in the USA). St. Andrews outranks Warwick in all of the big domestic league tables (Guardian, Times, Sunday Times & Complete) and also in the international rankings.

Quite frankly the idea that you'll have a better career with a Warwick degree is utter nonsense, if there is a disparity between them it's very close either way. I can't talk in terms of specific degrees, but reputation-wise both are sound.

Ignore the Warwick fanboys - I'd definitely go for St. Andrews, better overall rep, fantastic place to live and no fees! Although if you're seriously worried you wont make the grades choose Warwick. I'm assuming as you applied to both as an international you had to use UCAS, in which case you get an insurance - why not use Warwick for this?

This. My understanding was that Economics at St A was good.
Original post by No Future
This. My understanding was that Economics at St A was good.

Yeah its good, but not as good as Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, LSE or Warwick for that course.
Fair enough then..

I posted earlier on the thread and my answer was No its just not worth it. , the answer would probably even be the same if the aim was to get into IB.

Oh and I'm not a Warwick student, just seem to get drawn to these threads:s-smilie:

oh sorry for the misunderstanding. Which uni do you attend then?
oh sorry for the misunderstanding. Which uni do you attend then?

This is awkward... I'll be attending LSE or Warwick in Oct!
Yeah its good, but not as good as Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, LSE for that course.

Why are you mentioning unis OP isn't even considering? Lol.

St Andrews has a good reputation.

PS: sounds like you've never even been to uni yet.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
With regards to the above conversation, I turned down UCL for St Andrews and have never regretted it. It should be obvious that, as 'Frenchous' stated above, any good universities below Oxford and Cambridge are basically on par in employability terms. Indeed, maybe the OP could consider the fact that - were she to choose St Andrews - she might be able to take a joint degree in IR (depending on her school grades), as many Economics students I know have. St Andrews is best in the country for IR, bar none (despite what LSE students may tell you).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
To be honest the idea of a 'top 5' is sort of nonsense, outside Oxbridge everyone in the top 10ish is pretty much on a par (no matter what LSE students tell you).

The G5 does exist. Outside of Oxbridge, overall, there is a clear distinction between IC/LSE/UCL and the rest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending