The Student Room Group

Feedback on A2 English Lit. exam result (AQA LITB3)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Hindsight
Don't write about pardoner in section B, use the time to write about the other 3 in more detail and depth as oppose to quantity

Why not write about the pardoner in section B??? I did Frankenstein for A and my other 3 texts for B (which is what our teachers tell us to do).

My remark is due back soon and i'm getting my paper too. My friend got her paper back after her remark went from E to D and our teachers marked it and said it's at least an A. Nothing to do now but wait and/or retake I guess.
Original post by hanisb
Yeaah, a bit **** isn't it? Wait no, A LOT. It was the same for me last year. I was predicted a B, and got a C. Nobody in my class received higher than me. I was lucky. So for A2, knowing that their marking is harsh, I was expecting another C. And the shock I had when I saw an E.... sigh....
Our teachers are trying to get some of our papers back to see what went wrong, but AQA told him it could take up to two months. I don't care though. I do want my paper back. It's the only I'll know what went wrong, and therefore can do better on my retake in the summer.

The unpredictability of AQA marking, especially for people anticipating university entrance with AAA requirements, is nerve-wrecking. If it's some lofty dream or some difficult exam, which is surmountable only if one works very hard - I'm still fine with that. But never knowing what went right nor what went wrong!

I'm not one to complain at this point because I took my AS exam during Jan 2012 as a private candidate (without any teacher/tutor) and got shockingly high marks for my Aspects of Narrative paper, and a disastrous 52/80 for my coursework essays. I'm still wondering what I did right and what I did wrong. I'm glad for it, but I have no idea what to feel anymore when my A2 results come out in August, and everything hangs on it for my university entrance in September!

Scared t-rdless about my A2 coursework.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hanisb
Okay, first of all, I'm a SHE.
And second, if you're not here to help than please don't bother posting anything.
You really should have read the rest of my posts because I clearly said that I'm a high-achieving student and the rest of my grades were great, except for English Lit.
And thirdly, yeah sure, make a plan. But you can only prepare generally. You have no idea what kind of questions are going to come up. And plus, I did good in my mocks.
And last but not least, clearly you have got a big head with the whole Cambridge thing. Well, congratulations, you're a smart***. Doesn't mean you get to diss someone else who is clearly as capable as you are!
Now, GTFO my thread.
Thank you.

Errm you are not a high achieving student if you cant even pass English lit...A high achieving student is someone like me. And you tried to diss me by telling me you got a oxford interview..rofl at that...as if i care...

All you have to do is make a plan beforehand and adapt it to the question not hard....*sigh*
Original post by hideousnight
Well done, however this is ENGLISH not law.

I did english lit at a level to get into undergrad law....so....
Original post by Nightufury
Ahh english lit.... I bet you didn't make plan before you started writing did you now?? So im guessing that the essay you wrote was irellevant and lacking the main AOs. You probably wrote about the stuff you wish had come up and didnt go about planning the answer to the question given. so next time read the question and plan your answer.... then start writing.

I DID plan and so did my friend who holds an Oxford offer (both got D's). Both of us knew our AO's backwards. You come across very condescending and arrogant and your comments (illustrated by the negative reactions) have shown that you obviously have no awareness of other people's feelings (which I would have thought would be critical to being a lawyer?). There have been lots of students who have missed out on important grades due to nothing more than AQA's MARKING and nothing else. As I think was previously said, if you don't have anything nice/helpful/necessary to say in future then please do us all a favour and don't say it at all.

Yours faithfully,
Everyone who is writing on the thread for the RIGHT reasons.
Original post by CupcakePrincess
I DID plan and so did my friend who holds an Oxford offer (both got D's). Both of us knew our AO's backwards. You come across very condescending and arrogant and your comments (illustrated by the negative reactions) have shown that you obviously have no awareness of other people's feelings (which I would have thought would be critical to being a lawyer?). There have been lots of students who have missed out on important grades due to nothing more than AQA's MARKING and nothing else. As I think was previously said, if you don't have anything nice/helpful/necessary to say in future then please do us all a favour and don't say it at all.

Yours faithfully,
Everyone who is writing on the thread for the RIGHT reasons.

You should hear yourself honestly.... 'I Should have gotten an A'. You should get your script back and read the rubbish you wrote....then you will understand. If it turns you are an anomaly... im glad you were the anomaly in this years marking system. I don't care if your friend holds an oxford offer,they cant get an A in English lit im surprised they got an offer....

Yours faitfully,

AQA, Chief Examiner.:colone:
Reply 66
Original post by hanisb
Hey guys.

So I was just wondering what other people got for this english paper.
Because apparently, our year is having a problem with this. After we did the exam in January, all of us thought we did well and felt quite confident. But then the results came out today and NO ONE got above a D. And this is not the first time. The same thing happened last year for AS.
I was just wondering if it's a problem that only our college is facing, or if it's actually a nationwide thing?
I'm trying to figure out whether the marking is just very harsh, or that our teachers aren't doing a great job..... Because we work our *** off for this!
(And in case you're wondering: I'm a good student. I got B's for Maths, Human Biology and Business Studies. That's why I'm completely caught off guard by the E from English Literature!)

Hi, this sounds pretty familiar - Our entire A2 class were predicted grades A and B and we all received C'd, D's E's and one U! D: We got our papers back with comments from an AQA examiner (initials JR) who was extremely harsh. On my paper he wrote something about how any of the good points I make are overshadowed by bad points (which is totally not how they should mark!) I'm an A student and I received an E - it's completely unfair.

Fearing that this is a nationwide problem, with not only the English Literature students receiving incredibly low and unfair grades but also geography and human biology, my college has begun to create a group on facebook, entitled 'The A-level students who got screwed over by AQA 08/03/12' - It's in the initial stages but the idea is that if our papers are not remarked to a satisfactory grade we may protest against AQA and Michael Gove, the education secretary who recently decreed that A-levels should be made harder to get.

If any of you feel that you have been unfairly marked by AQA examiners please don't feel shy to join our group - this may very well be a slip on on behalf of AQA, and at the end of the day it's >US< who are affected!
Reply 67
Original post by atticushanx
personally, i am SO angry about the results of the English January exam. not for myself, i got a C, which is what i was expecting despite the fact i need a B, but it was a middle C which wasnt very good as i have been B/high C boarder line all year. HOWEVER it is not just your college as our school has some brilliant students, some with offers from Oxford who have never submitted anything lower than an A get E's in this exam. some others who were high B/ A achievers got a C and one girl in particular who always submits A grade/ B grade work on an off day ended up with a U. because of this i don't trust the marking. i know that i probably did get a C, however for the sake of these people there needs to be a whole group remark as MOST people in our year recieved really low marks like D's and E's despite never working any lower than a C. because of this i really don't trust the examiners and it makes me so worried for what i will actually get in my resit and my last chance before uni! another thing which i think is quite suspicious is the retakes? not just for english (although this did happen to me and other people in english) but many people got the same mark??? is this the same in other colleges?

Hi, this sounds pretty familiar - Our entire A2 class were predicted grades A and B and we all received C'd, D's E's and one U! We got our papers back with comments from an AQA examiner (initials JR) who was extremely harsh. On my paper he wrote something about how any of the good points I make are overshadowed by bad points (which is totally not how they should mark!) I'm an A student and I received an E - it's completely unfair.

Fearing that this is a nationwide problem, with not only the English Literature students receiving incredibly low and unfair grades but also geography and human biology, my college has begun to create a group on facebook, entitled 'The A-level students who got screwed over by AQA 08/03/12' - It's in the initial stages but the idea is that if our papers are not remarked to a satisfactory grade we may protest against AQA and Michael Gove, the education secretary who recently decreed that A-levels should be made harder to get.

If any of you feel that you have been unfairly marked by AQA examiners please don't feel shy to join our group - this may very well be a slip on on behalf of AQA, and at the end of the day it's >US< who are affected!
Reply 68
We have just sent a member of staff on an aqa course - the exemplar material they provided was from a student who quoted 3 different critics opinions. I wonder if a lack of this created problems? (this was a section A response) Also apparently, there was some misreading of base/basic instincts on the Carter question. Oh and The Bloody Chamber should be treated 'as a whole' on section B. This is a little bit second hand, but hopefully will have more to say next week as I have a morning meeting with a senior examiner from AQA. As with many of you, I remain concerned about this paper - if there are things that aqa want specifically, this should be communicated to teachers and students asap!
We have had one remark - no change - but are waiting on the others. Also have an A and B grade script back which I will try and attach at a later date if the students agree. Once again, I feel very sorry for those students on here who clearly don't know where they went wrong.:mad:
Reply 69
Original post by Essex1875

Does anyone know the grade boundaries? It said on my results sheet I got 74, I'm guessing that's UMS? Anyone know the UMS Boundaries? Teacher seemed to think 86 was a B....

The paper is out of 120.
96 or more - A
84-95 - B
72 - 83 - C
60 - 71 - D
48 - 59 - E
Reply 70
Original post by Nightufury
'I Should have gotten an A'.

gotten

gotten

gotten

gotten

gotten
Reply 71
HI,
Everyone in my english class last year got a c above with most people gaining as and bs. including myself who at as got an A. When the results came back, one person out of 40 english students recieved an a, a few ds the rest recieved Es and Us. How can students gaining As and Bs plummet that far down grade wise? we have sent back for everyones paper and our english teachers have looked at them all and are assesing them over the weekend, but the main problem is the examiners. They are unprofessional, writing negative and snarky comments. They do not pick out any positive points such as anything involving A02,A03,A04, they soley base the ridicolous grade on A01 (the argument). They also pick out things on my paper such as using the word Subversion once instead on disrupts, and underline novels consitenlty when talking about the bloody chamber because it should be a 'novella'. This should not happen as the examiner MUST understand that you are under exam conditions and focus on all the things you have done instead of havent done. They are basically ridicolous, all the essays are good and worth at least 3 grades higher, but the question is will AQA admitt such a blunder? its unlikely, but if schools such as our state that if they are not remarked properly and 'Fairly' (on the aqa website) then our school said that they would go with a different exam board, losing aqa a lot of money, such as EDEXCEL. The stress all of our students have been put under and our teachers is completley unfair considering all the essays are of a high standard. Another part of the unprofessionality of AQA is that when they have papers remarked they leave past comments on form the previous examiner. How can you not be influenced by comments already there? i find this outrageous. AQA have messed up and if you want a good grade in English, which most people deserve form all the hard work and effort, it is best to get in touch with aqa with a complaint and as a say if they do not back down...move to another exam board which is fairly marked!
I haven't sat this exam yet (I'm taking it in June this year) but having had problems with LITB1 Aspects of Narrative last year, and hearing of problems with marking on this January paper, I'm worried. My original overall AS grade was a C: an A in coursework and an E in the exam. My teachers told be to get the script re-marked and sent to me straight away. My script came back remarked as a B, with the original marker's markings all over it seeming very harsh(they'd spelt many words spelt incorrectly too). There seems to be an inherent problem with AQA and marking this paper. Naturally I do not want this kind of problem to happen again on results day! We've completed all our coursework now, but this exam is worrying me. It's really hard to know what they're looking for, even after scouring through mark-schemes and examiner reports.
Original post by Solera1847
We have just sent a member of staff on an aqa course - the exemplar material they provided was from a student who quoted 3 different critics opinions. I wonder if a lack of this created problems? (this was a section A response) Also apparently, there was some misreading of base/basic instincts on the Carter question. Oh and The Bloody Chamber should be treated 'as a whole' on section B. This is a little bit second hand, but hopefully will have more to say next week as I have a morning meeting with a senior examiner from AQA. As with many of you, I remain concerned about this paper - if there are things that aqa want specifically, this should be communicated to teachers and students asap!
We have had one remark - no change - but are waiting on the others. Also have an A and B grade script back which I will try and attach at a later date if the students agree. Once again, I feel very sorry for those students on here who clearly don't know where they went wrong.:mad:

That would be amazing! :smile:

Also, I've left a message on your wall :colondollar:.
Reply 74
Hi, sent you a message too.
Reply 75
Just had one of my A grade student's remark back - moved from 77 to 89 UMS marks so from a C to a good, solid B and 9 UMS marks extra!! Any news on other remarks? (We have had a D and a U return unchanged)
Just had one of my A grade student's remark back - moved from 77 to 89 UMS marks so from a C to a good, solid B and 9 UMS marks extra!! Any news on other remarks? (We have had a D and a U return unchanged)

My friend moved from E to D and another from U to D (20 marks extra?!?) Still haven't got mine. Good to hear the C to B though :smile:
Reply 77
A U to a D! That's worrying but obviously great news for the person concerned. I am so pleased for my student. It would have been so easy for her 'blame the teacher' (which she never did) and I just knew it was almost impossible for her to obtain a C. We have had one script back where the section A was given 4 marks. Admittedly, there are flaws in the response but 4 seems ridiculously harsh. I hope I get some good advice from AQA on Wednesday as this seems to be a problem affecting several centres......
A U to a D! That's worrying but obviously great news for the person concerned. I am so pleased for my student. It would have been so easy for her 'blame the teacher' (which she never did) and I just knew it was almost impossible for her to obtain a C. We have had one script back where the section A was given 4 marks. Admittedly, there are flaws in the response but 4 seems ridiculously harsh. I hope I get some good advice from AQA on Wednesday as this seems to be a problem affecting several centres......

Just got my remark back. D to high C (4 marks off a B). Gained 16 marks but still I need and want an A so will retake. Gutted really, got an A at AS coursework and exam so really want to get an A overall. Please let us know what AQA say, would be much appreciated!
just when you thought it couldnt get any worse: the remarks come back.

i went for a remark from my original C to hopefully get a B which i need for university. my AS grade was also a C and i had that remarked, which came out at a B and i'm so happy! HOWEVER, the dreaded LITB3 has just caused more distress for me as i was dropped 10 marks and 12 UMS marks meaning i now have a low D, which i have to keep. my friend went from a C to an E, changing from 30 something to 18. ridiculous. I'm so unhappy with them as i now have a low grade that i chan't change. i totally dont trust these people with my LAST SHOT before getting into uni. how can they do that to people???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending