The Student Room Group

Kingston vs de montfort for fine art??!

Hello!!

I'm new to this website but I really need some help..

I've been offered places at Kingston University, De Montfort and Farnham to study Fine Art. I'm thinking between Kingston and DMU, I don't really know any previous students who have studied at either and I'm really struggling to make a decision. Kingston is good because it's in London but didn't seem to offer much studio space, even in the final year. DMU seemed brilliant but it's so far away from my home and I haven't actually heard much about the course or University from students generally at all.

Thanks for reading! Please help me :smile:
xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know about fine art, but my boyfriend goes to Kingston and really likes the uni. Obviously i've only seen his accomodation, but from what i've seen that's pretty limited on space as well compared to all the ones i've been to see for myself. The further out of london, the more space!! I'm going really far from home as well. Either Leeds which is 4 hours or Liverpool which is 6. Just chose the one that's best for you and your course rather than where it is cos i think otherwise you might come to regret it!! xx
Reply 2
been offered a place for fine art at farnham too! and got an interview at kingston in 10 days, which of the 2 did you prefer in general?
Reply 3
Original post by Soares
been offered a place for fine art at farnham too! and got an interview at kingston in 10 days, which of the 2 did you prefer in general?

They where both pretty good courses, I think Kingston is a bit better though because of other reasons like, In London (Near exhibits), better on top 100 art Uni's in UK, not only art uni so you will be around a more diverse range of people (also could be possitive that Farnham is only art as people will have same interests as you), there are clubs in London!! (In Farnham they have one small on campus club and the closest club is in the next town a 20minute drive away). Farnham seemed much more friendly than Kingston though..
Reply 4
Original post by melonsmile
They where both pretty good courses, I think Kingston is a bit better though because of other reasons like, In London (Near exhibits), better on top 100 art Uni's in UK, not only art uni so you will be around a more diverse range of people (also could be possitive that Farnham is only art as people will have same interests as you), there are clubs in London!! (In Farnham they have one small on campus club and the closest club is in the next town a 20minute drive away). Farnham seemed much more friendly than Kingston though..

How did the Kingston interview go roughly? and how much work did you take?

also did u take a lot of new work? and did you take your work from the mini portfolio also?
I have mine in about a week, the offer from farnham has left me slightly more confident

Oh yh I actually live near kingston, gotta be careful some evenings but its not too tough. Theres plenty of clubs and pubs in Kingston too and a wide range of stereotypical social groups around.. I find it quite friendly tbh..... but yh i can imagine farnham being friendlier, i actually really liked the place and the campus.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Soares
How did the Kingston interview go roughly? and how much work did you take?

also did u take a lot of new work? and did you take your work from the mini portfolio also?
I have mine in about a week, the offer from farnham has left me slightly more confident

Oh yh I actually live near kingston, gotta be careful some evenings but its not too tough. Theres plenty of clubs and pubs in Kingston too and a wide range of stereotypical social groups around.. I find it quite friendly tbh..... but yh i can imagine farnham being friendlier, i actually really liked the place and the campus.

The interview went really well, the layout of the of the room is a bit weird though, it's 3 tables in a room and you're at one table with two other people having interviews at the other two. There's about 6 interviewers in the room and they kind of circulate the 3 tables. The good thing about this is you get to see more people but the bad thing is you literally get 1-2 minutes with each person and have to keep re-explaining your work to each person, I didn't feel I could properly explain anything to anyone before they'd gone and I'd have to start all over again with a new person.

I took about 30 A1 sheets of work and 1 big piece around hmm 6x A1? I had canvas' that I didn't take and they said they wished I'd taken pictures so they could see, so if you can't manage all of your work I would take some pics with you. They where all recent pieces of work from my foundation course, they oldest pieces where 3 paintings from rotation at the begining of the year and that's only because they linked in with one project. Good Luck !
Reply 6
i had my kingston interview last week and really loved the place, all the other applicants seemed really nice (obviously they won't all go there) but the knights park campus is all art students so i thought it had a really good vibe :smile: it's got really good facilities and you are really close to london and so have really easy access to loads of different things to motivate you.
Reply 7
My mum lectures at DMU :smile: the Fine Art show is generally decent. Although, they've been having a hell of a lot of cutbacks across the art dept, so maybe consider how much you're actually getting for the £9k a year...
Reply 8
Original post by twinlensreflex
My mum lectures at DMU :smile: the Fine Art show is generally decent. Although, they've been having a hell of a lot of cutbacks across the art dept, so maybe consider how much you're actually getting for the £9k a year...

Really?! :redface: Do you know what kind of cutbacks? I'm really struggling on which Uni to pick and this could be a decision maker :smile:
Reply 9
I'm only guessing it's similar across all departments, but a lot of part time staff have been cut (& DMU courses tend to be fairly large). I know that someone high up has emphasised money coming in from fees rather than quality of students. I can't really give you anything specific... If you want a kind of...more nurturing experience, where quality of work is emphasised, I'd probably suggest not DMU. But Kingston could be similar, don't know much about that one :smile:
Reply 10
Unfortunately I think all the art Unis have been making cutbacks for some time now (UAL has had many cuts over the past few years) and given that initial indication is that applicants for arts courses are less this year overall beacause of the cost - i think all unis are going to be feeling the pinch.

The things that really suffer are workshop access and technicians (who I consider almost more crucial to an art student than the tutors!)

I wouldnt let the cuts sway you - I think all unis are gioing to feel the pinch :s-smilie:
Reply 11
I'm only guessing it's similar across all departments, but a lot of part time staff have been cut (& DMU courses tend to be fairly large). I know that someone high up has emphasised money coming in from fees rather than quality of students. I can't really give you anything specific... If you want a kind of...more nurturing experience, where quality of work is emphasised, I'd probably suggest not DMU. But Kingston could be similar, don't know much about that one :smile:[

There will be around 90 people on my course and for Fine Art it's the biggest I've ever heard of! I've never though about why they was taking on so many students but of course it always seems to come down to money with Universities.. Thank you so much for telling me about DMU! I doubt I will go there now, maybe a re-visit to Kingston is needed. Thank you x
Reply 12
I'm only guessing it's similar across all departments, but a lot of part time staff have been cut (& DMU courses tend to be fairly large). I know that someone high up has emphasised money coming in from fees rather than quality of students. I can't really give you anything specific... If you want a kind of...more nurturing experience, where quality of work is emphasised, I'd probably suggest not DMU. But Kingston could be similar, don't know much about that one :smile:

There will be around 90 people on my course and for Fine Art it's the biggest I've ever heard of! I've never though about why they was taking on so many students but of course it always seems to come down to money with Universities.. Thank you so much for telling me about DMU! I doubt I will go there now, maybe a re-visit to Kingston is needed. Thank you x
Reply 13
Original post by KED
Unfortunately I think all the art Unis have been making cutbacks for some time now (UAL has had many cuts over the past few years) and given that initial indication is that applicants for arts courses are less this year overall beacause of the cost - i think all unis are going to be feeling the pinch.

The things that really suffer are workshop access and technicians (who I consider almost more crucial to an art student than the tutors!)

I wouldnt let the cuts sway you - I think all unis are gioing to feel the pinch :s-smilie:

I don't think cuts will stop me from going to uni but perhaps how unis seem to work with their money might, by the comment above it seems to me like DMU takes on as many students as possible to get money but don't actually put that money back into the course. Thank you for your concern though, I can see how cuts may deter many people.
Reply 14
Man my interviewer at kingston tore me up..... How long was it before you heard back?
Im not sure how it went or if it was just a test
Reply 15
Original post by Soares
Man my interviewer at kingston tore me up..... How long was it before you heard back?
Im not sure how it went or if it was just a test

Really?! :redface: What did they say? I did notice at my interview they asked quite a few trick questions, as long as you was honest I'm sure you've done fine! Is Kingston your first choice? They said a couple of weeks at the interview but it changed after 4 days
Reply 16
Hey there, I'm a second year fine art at Kingston at the moment, The course it's pretty free choice, do whatever you're interested in, which is really good. Also the town itself is is great, quite friendly, I come from Newcastle but I much prefer the night life in Kingston, it's a lot more diverse and safe feeling.
I'm not trying to be bias I swear! But Kingston's pretty great! :smile:
Original post by Sokamo
Hey there, I'm a second year fine art at Kingston at the moment, The course it's pretty free choice, do whatever you're interested in, which is really good. Also the town itself is is great, quite friendly, I come from Newcastle but I much prefer the night life in Kingston, it's a lot more diverse and safe feeling.
I'm not trying to be bias I swear! But Kingston's pretty great! :smile:

Hi, I have an interview at Kingston on Wednesday and was just wondering how much work I should take. I was thinking of 18 A1 sheets (each sheet generally shows one piece of work), and three sketchbooks. Is that about right?
Also, regarding the course, I'm a bit unsure about how student led the course is. I thought there were no briefs at all, but now I'm not sure. Do you completely control what you do?
Thanks. :smile:
Reply 18
To be honest I can't remember what the requirements for portfolio were, I had about 20 a1 sheets with what I considered to be my best work from foundation and a level and a few sketchbooks. The more the better really, sketchbook wise.
There are essentially no briefs, although you can sign up for various workshops over the years in which you sometimes get briefs, but in terms of studio work and research it's all up to you! :smile: you get complete freedom to do what you like , the tutors will advise you on artists and mediums and stuff
Original post by Sokamo
To be honest I can't remember what the requirements for portfolio were, I had about 20 a1 sheets with what I considered to be my best work from foundation and a level and a few sketchbooks. The more the better really, sketchbook wise.
There are essentially no briefs, although you can sign up for various workshops over the years in which you sometimes get briefs, but in terms of studio work and research it's all up to you! :smile: you get complete freedom to do what you like , the tutors will advise you on artists and mediums and stuff

That's great. :smile: I don't see why so many courses insist on briefs.
I'm not a big sketchbook person to be honest. I'm expecting this to come back and bite me at interviews. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest