The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York St John's Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DubaiChick
heyy :smile: i am thinking of going ensuite and was wondering if there is much difference between Percy's Lane and Gray's Wharf. What are they like in terms of social and all that? Whats your recommendation :smile: thankss

They're essentially the same, they're on the same site and everything. Just different buildings. They're pretty social, unless you're in a studio flat as it may be harder to meet people that way. They're very modern and are gorgeous, though they are about a 20 minute walk from the uni.
University of York
York
Reply 41
Original post by lorri94
Hi, I am comming to YSJ in september, I am probally not going to go for ensuite so where do you think is better?

It depends what you want.
The Grange is 5 minutes away from the uni, not very modern but I lived there no problem. Its contract runs from Sept - Aug. It is known as the most social of the accommodations.

Lord Mayor's Walk is semi-catered (canteen closes early on weekends so thats why its only semi) and on-site. This is obviously the closest to lectures but you do have to move out over Easter which is slightly annoying.

Limes Court is very nice, has two bedrooms between 5 people and nicely furnished. However its about half an hours walk from the uni and the city center.

Any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.
Reply 42
Original post by Shelly_x
If you dont mind sharing a bathroom then I don't see why you'd want to spend the extra £20-60 a week (depending on which en-suite...) just to have your own bathroom. Both the Grange and City are nice, City is a bit more modern than the Grange but only you can decide if you think its worth spending the extra money for a bit more modernity and your own bathroom.
There are some 360 degree tours here of all the accommodations:
http://w3.yorksj.ac.uk/facilities-directorate/facilities-directorate/accommodation/whats-available/360-accommodation-tours.aspx

I lived at the Grange in first year and it was fine, I never had any problems sharing a bathroom and really enjoyed myself :smile:

Thankyou very much for your help :smile:. Did you get to choose the Grange, or did you put your preferences and they chose one for you? Also, did you get to choose between a house and a flat? :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by ejp94
Thankyou very much for your help :smile:. Did you get to choose the Grange, or did you put your preferences and they chose one for you? Also, did you get to choose between a house and a flat? :smile:

When you choose your accommodation you put all of the accommodations in order of your preference (so from 1-9 or whatever). If you put the grange as top you're likely to get it. No you don't get to choose between a house or a flat, I was in a house and it was fine though.
Reply 44
When you choose your accommodation you put all of the accommodations in order of your preference (so from 1-9 or whatever). If you put the grange as top you're likely to get it. No you don't get to choose between a house or a flat, I was in a house and it was fine though.

Righteo thankyou :smile:
hi, im going too YSJ on september..
but i havent get a room yet.
my bf going with me so we wanna stay together.
do any accommodation accept couple stay together?
or can anyone give some information to let me get a room?
has anyone had any info on when to apply?
Reply 47
Hey, Im a student ambassador at YSJ so can answer any Qs you have about the uni/accommodation.

Hey, I've got my place at YSJ confirmed for September and I'm looking forward to it. The e-mail a while ago said that accommodation info would come through from May, I haven't heard anything about it yet and just wondered if you knew when it might, in case I've missed anything!? Also, is there a way they sort people into flats and houses? I'd like to go out lots and hope I'm with a good group of friends that want to do the same! Thanks x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
The info quill come around may/june. As soon as you get it send it off again! As far as I know there isn't a way to sort people no. But you'll definitely meet people who like to go out even if you don't live with them :smile:
Reply 49
The info quill come around may/june. As soon as you get it send it off again! As far as I know there isn't a way to sort people no. But you'll definitely meet people who like to go out even if you don't live with them :smile:

After you submit the form, do you know if there is a confirmation sent of the form?

Or if you know/remember what happens after the choices of the accommodation have been made?

Is it a short waiting time or is the next step when the place is confirmed on results day?

Reply 50
Original post by mmontgom
After you submit the form, do you know if there is a confirmation sent of the form?

Or if you know/remember what happens after the choices of the accommodation have been made?

Is it a short waiting time or is the next step when the place is confirmed on results day?

No there isn't confirmation sent that they got the form, if your worried you could ring them?
Places are allocated first come first serve but I remember I got my offer of accom before results day (unless i've remembered this wrong!).
Reply 51
Hey I'm just a bit worried, I re sent my accomodation form today. Because its a bit later is there a chance I will get my first choice or not :frown:
Reply 52
Are you on the Facebook freshers page? It probably depends on where you want, but people are still thinking about which one to choose... Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 53
Hi person with all the answers (very helpful). Is city residence more social than percy's and gray's?? THANK YOU
Reply 54
Hey, Im a student ambassador at YSJ so can answer any Qs you have about the uni/accommodation.

hi, ive just put YSJ as my firm plae for occupational theapy, just wondering the best accommodation to go with?

thanks
Reply 55
Original post by Karwai Chu
hi, ive just put YSJ as my firm plae for occupational theapy, just wondering the best accommodation to go with?

thanks

Erm, well thats a pretty broad question really. Do you want en-suite?
In terms of your course, you'll be on placement until July for OT, or at least my housemate was last year when she did it, so you may want to consider the uni accommodations with a longer letting period. However there are pros and cons to this... as you can be placed anywhere in Yorkshire so you might not even be in York for placement.
Reply 56
Erm, well thats a pretty broad question really. Do you want en-suite?
In terms of your course, you'll be on placement until July for OT, or at least my housemate was last year when she did it, so you may want to consider the uni accommodations with a longer letting period. However there are pros and cons to this... as you can be placed anywhere in Yorkshire so you might not even be in York for placement.

hello, does en-suite go faster than none en-suite? And are physiotherapy students on placement till around the same time as OT students?
Reply 57
Original post by DubaiChick
hello, does en-suite go faster than none en-suite? And are physiotherapy students on placement till around the same time as OT students?

If you mean is it more popular then I don't really know. I know that Limes Court was one of the hardest to get into when I applied two years ago. There are a lot of en-suite rooms so it isn't that hard, its just whether you think its worth it...
I don't know about physios, sorry, I only know about OT's 'cos my housemate does it. But theres a strong possibility you will be on placement in summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending