The Student Room Group

Second year university transfer students, how is/was it for you?

Hey,

This thread is for anyone currently/just finished on their second year transfer of the same course at a different university. What was the experience like? Moving to a new town/city? Accommodation - halls or private? New people to meet in your course where friendship circles/group have already formed - how did you cope to the changes and how did you fit in with the rest of the people from the course?

I have asked these questions because I want to transfer to a second year of my course in a different university due to personal reasons. I'm hoping the new university would be much better than the one I am currently at.

In summary, I just want some ways in how you overcame the challenges of a second year transfer student as technically it's not a doss year anymore as 20% I think of the mark will contribute to the degree.

Sorry for the long post, I hope this thread will receive many replies :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Im considering transferring too.
So i really hope some people post on this :smile:
I'm currently in my 2nd year at Liverpool doing astrophysics, last year I was at York doing physics with astrophysics (the same after first year to all intents and purposes).

I wasn't totally unfamiliar to Liverpool, as my girlfriend lives here (one of the reasons I transferred) so it wasn't totally new to me, but I hadn't gone around on my own or anything, and I didn't know the uni or city very well. I adapted without a problem though, a little bit of exploring on my own and with my girlfriend has allowed me to know the city well now, and I've explored the uni on my own and got to know it all without a problem too.

I'm living with my girlfriend and family, so I can't really comment on accommodation, I was eligible for halls though, where everyone else would obviously be first year, but I personally wouldn't have wanted that, I didn't really fancy doing freshers again. I was looking at private halls as well, it would've been a similar scenario, with a slightly higher possibility of being with mature students or 2nd/3rd/4th years instead of freshers.

Meeting new people on my course was the hardest thing for me, I'm not terribly social though to be honest and it would probably be a lot easier for most people, I also wasn't really after a group of friends to go out with all the time, again because I'm not very social. I have a group of friends on my course though, I basically just introduced myself to someone who I heard was also on the astro course (most of everyone else is straight physics) and he introduced me to a couple of people. It also helped that one of my first semester modules involved a group working class thing where I could chat to these people some more. As long as you're social I don't imagine you should have too much of a problem, on the whole students are pretty nice people, just say hello and mention that you're new and you'll be introduced to some people and it'll take off from there.

Make sure you catch up on material that isn't covered in your first year but is on theirs though (if there is any). It'll really help you out, I didn't and when one or two things were mentioned, I didn't know what they were on about and had a brief panic before reading up on them.

EDIT: Neg for this? Really? Just sharing my experience of the process.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by natalieann1993
Im considering transferring too.
So i really hope some people post on this :smile:

I may also transfer:smile:
What course and Uni are you thinking?:smile:
Original post by alexkol
I may also transfer:smile:
What course and Uni are you thinking?:smile:

Nottingham Trent from Falmouth.
English and Media Studies.
Not sure if im defo moving yet though :smile:
Half way through application progress...
:smile:
Reply 5
Nottingham Trent from Falmouth.
English and Media Studies.
Not sure if im defo moving yet though :smile:
Half way through application progress...

go for it:smile:
good luck:smile:
Reply 6
Hey I transferred onto my second year on a slightly different course to a different city. The experience was exciting, scary at first. I have lived in halls and my course has been fantastic. There has been the odd lecture where i've felt lost as I haven't studied it before but generally my course mates are really supportive and help me when I'm behind. I find everyone on my course to be really supportive. I definately don't feel as if I'm new, I've integrated well and now just feel part of the course.

Different universities state that second year counts for different amounts.

I have been lucky socially as I had some friends currently at the university, but I also joined some societies to get to meet new people. I find my lecturers are very supportive, and although you may need to read round the subject a bit more I definately don't feel behind.

One thing I would suggest is a couple of weeks before lectures are due to start, print your timetable off and go and find all of your classes, make yourself familiar with the library, and resources, go and find the SU and make sure your confident where to find everything.

It will just take the panic away of not knowing where your going.

Also request a few e-mail address's of some members of your new course. If you get chatting to a few of them you may be able to meet up with them before the course starts so you are not on your own.

I feel doing that helped me a lot with my transfer as I was able to get advice on accomodation, relocating, finding a job, club nights, meeting friends of friends etc.
Reply 7
Original post by snufkin_
Hey I transferred onto my second year on a slightly different course to a different city. The experience was exciting, scary at first. I have lived in halls and my course has been fantastic. There has been the odd lecture where i've felt lost as I haven't studied it before but generally my course mates are really supportive and help me when I'm behind. I find everyone on my course to be really supportive. I definately don't feel as if I'm new, I've integrated well and now just feel part of the course.

Different universities state that second year counts for different amounts.

I have been lucky socially as I had some friends currently at the university, but I also joined some societies to get to meet new people. I find my lecturers are very supportive, and although you may need to read round the subject a bit more I definately don't feel behind.

One thing I would suggest is a couple of weeks before lectures are due to start, print your timetable off and go and find all of your classes, make yourself familiar with the library, and resources, go and find the SU and make sure your confident where to find everything.

It will just take the panic away of not knowing where your going.

Also request a few e-mail address's of some members of your new course. If you get chatting to a few of them you may be able to meet up with them before the course starts so you are not on your own.

I feel doing that helped me a lot with my transfer as I was able to get advice on accomodation, relocating, finding a job, club nights, meeting friends of friends etc.

Hey thanks for your reply.

You said that you live in Halls when you transferred did you stay with freshers mainly and would you say that this helped you settle in at the University more?
Did you attend the Freshers event/were you allowed in as technically you weren't a fresher :P

With regards to requesting a few e-mail address of people from the course - where can you request the information from?

Thanks for the tips you mentioned they're really helpful.
Reply 8
A lot of universities have specific accomodation for second and third years. I requested to stay in a flat with second years, so I wasn't on my own. Your allowed to attend all the freshers events, and the tours round the uni, as your still a fresher to that uni :wink:

Quite a few people I know are still in halls in second year, it's easier in a big city as their generally more secure and you don't generally pay for bills as their all inclusive, however they can get pretty noisy which isn't great, but you'll probably find your going out on the main student nights too so your part of the noise :P

Well I had to go in to the first years lecture about which course module to pick, and my course leader was really good and showed me round the university. I got chatting to them and my course leader suggested they give me their email address's. You could e-mail your course leader/whoever arranged the transfer for you /(this is presuming you didn't just go through UCAS) and ask to be put in contact with a few people? You could request maybe a student rep (I presume most courses have these, both I attended did, their a student that is nominated to attend staff student meetings and raise issues from that specific course), I'm sure they'd be happy to talk to you and help you. As soon as one or two started emailing me, they all added me on facebook and soon I had the whole course on there!

No problem - which university are you looking to transfer to?

If you have any questions at all about transferring feel free to ask.

Just wanted to add in - transferring universities has been the best decision I ever made. The first uni I attended just wasn't right for me, I am so much happier here. And although it was a big change and I was wary at first, there's no point spending your time somewhere your not happier. My grades are much better as I'm enjoying working in groups and generally having a good time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by snufkin_
A lot of universities have specific accomodation for second and third years. I requested to stay in a flat with second years, so I wasn't on my own. Your allowed to attend all the freshers events, and the tours round the uni, as your still a fresher to that uni :wink:

Quite a few people I know are still in halls in second year, it's easier in a big city as their generally more secure and you don't generally pay for bills as their all inclusive, however they can get pretty noisy which isn't great, but you'll probably find your going out on the main student nights too so your part of the noise :P

Well I had to go in to the first years lecture about which course module to pick, and my course leader was really good and showed me round the university. I got chatting to them and my course leader suggested they give me their email address's. You could e-mail your course leader/whoever arranged the transfer for you /(this is presuming you didn't just go through UCAS) and ask to be put in contact with a few people? You could request maybe a student rep (I presume most courses have these, both I attended did, their a student that is nominated to attend staff student meetings and raise issues from that specific course), I'm sure they'd be happy to talk to you and help you. As soon as one or two started emailing me, they all added me on facebook and soon I had the whole course on there!

No problem - which university are you looking to transfer to?

If you have any questions at all about transferring feel free to ask.

Just wanted to add in - transferring universities has been the best decision I ever made. The first uni I attended just wasn't right for me, I am so much happier here. And although it was a big change and I was wary at first, there's no point spending your time somewhere your not happier. My grades are much better as I'm enjoying working in groups and generally having a good time.

You're so lucky in that everything seem to have fallen into place nicely for you! I wish mine would be a smooth transition too.

I want to transfer to Nottingham Trent University from University of Bolton. I have the same reason as you - I just felt that Bolton - being a town and I've come from and live in a city (London) it's just so different. The Student Union is so messed up and there's not much to do! To be honest this is to be expected as I got in through clearing - I do not have any other choice (I was desperate to get in this year to escape the 9k fees)

Which university are you in now and where did you transfer from? Did you choose up to 5 universities or only one? I was thinking of applying to only NTU and if I tailor my Personal statement to their course I would have a higher chance of getting in. The drawback would then be if I did not get accepted I would have no other options. I have contacted other unis - it's either they do not accept transfers as their course is full already or my A level grades is too lower than the entry requirements for their course.

Did you visit the universities you wish to transfer to before putting them on your UCAS form or did you go to a post-application open day?

Thank you for the course rep idea! I've not thought about that - I'll keep that in mind. I'll keep posting if I have anymore questions.

Many thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Jhyzone
You're so lucky in that everything seem to have fallen into place nicely for you! I wish mine would be a smooth transition too.

I want to transfer to Nottingham Trent University from University of Bolton. I have the same reason as you - I just felt that Bolton - being a town and I've come from and live in a city (London) it's just so different. The Student Union is so messed up and there's not much to do! To be honest this is to be expected as I got in through clearing - I do not have any other choice (I was desperate to get in this year to escape the 9k fees)

Which university are you in now and where did you transfer from? Did you choose up to 5 universities or only one? I was thinking of applying to only NTU and if I tailor my Personal statement to their course I would have a higher chance of getting in. The drawback would then be if I did not get accepted I would have no other options. I have contacted other unis - it's either they do not accept transfers as their course is full already or my A level grades is too lower than the entry requirements for their course.

Did you visit the universities you wish to transfer to before putting them on your UCAS form or did you go to a post-application open day?

Thank you for the course rep idea! I've not thought about that - I'll keep that in mind. I'll keep posting if I have anymore questions.

Im looking at going Nottingham trent too :colondollar:
got my offer today!
Reply 11
Original post by Jhyzone

Will PM you with specifics, as I know quite a lot about NTU. :P
Reply 12
got my offer today!

That's great to hear! When did you apply? Which other unis did you apply to? :smile:
Oooohh! I'm attempting a transfer too, onto a slighlty different course, from a single honours into a joint-honours... Glad to see there's a thread for this! :biggrin: I'm finding it quite hard to get a place - anyone else experienceing difficulty? I'm at a rather good uni, not attempting to transfer above my weight, as it were! :smile:
Reply 14
got my offer today!

Hi i noticed you are currently at Falmouth. I have an interview at Falmouth next month to transfer into my second year, im at winchester at the moment. Is Falmouth not a great place then? I also have an interview for Bath Spa so any adice on Falmouth would be great before i decide! thanks :smile:
Its not that it's not a great place, just very far and remote. Tbh I'm considering staying now as I'm growing to love it slowly. :smile: what course you looking to do?
Reply 16
I'm looking at transferring too. :smile:
Bit worried that I'm leaving the application too late though... :s
Reply 17
I'm doing english the the moment and will be changing to study english with creative writing at Falmouth or english literature at Bath Spa. I guess i will decide once ive been to both interviews :smile:
Original post by alabelle
I'm looking at transferring too. :smile:
Bit worried that I'm leaving the application too late though... :s

I sent the initial "will you take transfers?" email after easter, I wouldn't worry :smile:
Original post by EmilyJane
I'm doing english the the moment and will be changing to study english with creative writing at Falmouth or english literature at Bath Spa. I guess i will decide once ive been to both interviews :smile:

Thats the course im doing now!

Well im doing the media side instead of creative writing.
But the english modules are all together.
Maybe see you not year...if i stay :biggrin:

(which i think im going to, i get to go australia in feb if i do!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending