The Student Room Group

Tiffany Porter, Team GB captain, called 'Plastic Brit' by Daily Mail.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TRS-T
She may be British 'by law'

But she aint really British.

Her mom is British.

She was born and raised in America.

She is American.

What is 'really British'?

British is by law.

Do explain yourself - I am being literal here.

If you say somebody is British, it means they have fulfilled the relevant requirements to be British in the relevant statutes and common law etc. The definition does not care for your own personal feelings etc.

Refer to my example of the Tunisian man - it puts things clearly into perspective.
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
By Law, she IS British.

If you have any problems, take it to the Law.

Clearly, she has and still is satisfying the requirements of citizenship, hence why her passport has not been revoked or cancelled and is still valid.

So not only do we allow a foreigner to walk in and take a Briton's role in our grand Olympic team, we make her captain as well! Wow. She probably doesn't even understand British culture. She probably thinks 100% of the UK is English, not just the 85%.
Reply 22
What is 'really British'?

British is by law.

Do explain yourself - I am being literal here.

If you say somebody is British, it means they have fulfilled the relevant requirements to be British in the relevant statutes and common law etc. The definition does not care for your own personal feelings etc.

Refer to my example of the Tunisian man - it puts things clearly into perspective.

If I move to France I don't suddenly become a Frenchman.

I'd be a British person who just happens to live in France.

Was Tiffany Porter born in this country?

Did she grow up in this country?

Did she go to school in this country?

Does she have an accent from this country?

No.

No.

No.

And no.

Because she ain't British.
Original post by Snagprophet
So not only do we allow a foreigner to walk in and take a Briton's role in our grand Olympic team, we make her captain as well! Wow. She probably doesn't even understand British culture. She probably thinks 100% of the UK is English, not just the 85%.

This is quite silly of you to presume. You seem to imply that she's not very bright (because she's American or a 'foreigner', I don't know?).

In any case, I would presume that a large number of those British who were actually 'born and raised' here are largely quite ignorant of the past of the isles and lack the knowledge of Britain in any case. The widespread humour of how even those who were born and raised here would not be able to do well in the Citizenship test is an example which asks about history, current affairs and statistics etc.

British is British by law. If you have your own personal definition, you are very free to enjoy it. But the Law will not change for you, unless you fight it with credible and strong arguments.
Reply 24
And while were at it, why the hell do we have a Dutch head coach.

This is supposed to be the British team.

We have a foreign head coach.

And now we have a foreign captain.

This is just great :rolleyes:
Original post by TRS-T
If I move to France I don't suddenly become a Frenchman.

I'd be a British person who just happens to live in France.

???You most probably would be if you resided there for a long time and fulfilled the requirements of whatever French law says.

Was Tiffany Porter born in this country?

??That doesn't matter. She has fulfilled the conditions of the relevant statutes (I believe, her mother being British would qualify her - I also believe that under an Act some ten years ago, if Tiffany's father was British and her mother Nigerian, she wouldn't be British by law or something like that.)

Did she grow up in this country?

??That is irrelevant. She has fulfilled the relevant conditions, as said above.

Did she go to school in this country?

??Also irrelevant.
Does she have an accent from this country?

??Even more irrelevant. I know of a British person who was born and raised here yet still retains a strong Iranian accent.
No.

No.

No.

And no.

Because she ain't British.

??According to who? You or the Law? Because the Law says, yes she is.

^See above.

As I keep saying (and in all sincerity), if you are outraged by this and have your own definition for what is British and would like that to be nationally enforced, you must challenge the law. Stage nationwide protests and call for a judicial review. But, I warn you, you must have strong and coherent arguments that are not emotive.
Reply 26
Original post by TRS-T

Son, you wouldn't need to import talented athletes and coaches if you could produce them yourself.
Reply 27
^See above.

As I keep saying (and in all sincerity), if you are outraged by this and have your own definition for what is British and would like that to be nationally enforced, you must challenge the law. Stage nationwide protests and call for a judicial review. But, I warn you, you must have strong and coherent arguments that are not emotive.

She isn't British.

I have a second nationality, but I would never call myself it because it is a land I've never seen.
Reply 28
Original post by Infallible
Son, you wouldn't need to import talented athletes and coaches if you could produce them yourself.

Says the Romanian.
Original post by TRS-T

You might as well sack all of the foreign coaches and managers of British football teams.
The Daily Fail.
Reply 31
You might as well sack all of the foreign coaches and managers of British football teams.

Club football is different to international football.
She isn't British.

I have a second nationality, but I would never call myself it because it is a land I've never seen.

As I keep saying, it doesn't matter what you think, it matters what the law states.

So, by law, she is British. She or you can have different views about that, but by law she is, regardless of personal feelings on both sides.

Example:

A man who murders a most hated person, say for example, Nick Griffin, would by law be labelled as a murder if he had the malice aforethought and all other criteria were satisfied.

He may think he shouldn't be imprisoned; you may think he is not a murderer and shouldn't be imprisoned. But, by law, he is a murderer and will be imprisoned once all relevant criteria has been satisfied.
Reply 33
Who cares about the law.

She isn't British.

Everyone knows it.

Stop being pedantic.
Original post by TRS-T
Club football is different to international football.

Really?

Eriksson? Capello?

If you're confused at those surnames, those are previous managers of the national England football team.
Reply 35
Original post by TRS-T
Says the Romanian.

Moldovan.
Reply 36
As I keep saying, it doesn't matter what you think, it matters what the law states.

So, by law, she is British. She or you can have different views about that, but by law she is, regardless of personal feelings on both sides.

Example:

A man who murders a most hated person, say for example, Nick Griffin, would by law be labelled as a murder if he had the malice aforethought and all other criteria were satisfied.

He may think he shouldn't be imprisoned; you may think he is not a murderer and shouldn't be imprisoned. But, by law, he is a murderer and will be imprisoned once all relevant criteria has been satisfied.

That is the single worst example I've ever seen. Of course someone who kills someone else is a murderer.
Original post by TRS-T
Who cares about the law.

She isn't British.

Everyone knows it.

Stop being pedantic.

Pahaha - 'Who cares about the law?' One of the dumbest questions I've ever heard.

Your personal opnion is 'She isn't British'.

The Law says 'She is British'.

Thus if you and her were to bring a review case to court in order to question whether she is British, not only would she win by default and you lose by default, it will most definitely not even get to any court!

'Who cares about the law'? But isn't that the first thing you would go to when reviewing her nationality?

I reviewed all the facts and then saw the Law and she is in fact British.

You merely read an article and began to scream 'Bloody outrage' and didn't provide no facts but merely screamed emotive phrases.

'Stop being pedantic' - but you need to look at the facts. It doesn't matter what you think or believe being British should be, she is British whether you like it or not. If you feel so strongly about it, you should try to bring a case/petition etc to Parliament and demand that they make dual nationalities illegal or that one should not by default become a citizen just because their mother is etc etc.

But, no, you can't do that. Because the basis of all your statements are emotional. They would hold no credibility.

It doesn't matter what 'everybody knows' (more like thinks!) - the law states otherwise.
That is the single worst example I've ever seen. Of course someone who kills someone else is a murderer.

No. Not really.

He would think he is a saviour, a liberator.

Would you call a British soldier a 'murderer'? Would you cal Churchill a murderer? Would you call Bush a murderer?
This is quite silly of you to presume. You seem to imply that she's not very bright (because she's American or a 'foreigner', I don't know?).

In any case, I would presume that a large number of those British who were actually 'born and raised' here are largely quite ignorant of the past of the isles and lack the knowledge of Britain in any case. The widespread humour of how even those who were born and raised here would not be able to do well in the Citizenship test is an example which asks about history, current affairs and statistics etc.

British is British by law. If you have your own personal definition, you are very free to enjoy it. But the Law will not change for you, unless you fight it with credible and strong arguments.

That citizenship test was a sham. Most Britons who took it had never bothered to research the random facts it asked about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending